• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/1/...ree-accounts-changes-pro-subscription-smugmug

Flickr was purchased in April by professional photo hosting service SmugMug, and today, the first major changes under the new ownership have been announced. There's a serious downgrade for free users, who are now limited to 1,000 pictures on the photo sharing site, instead of the free 1TB of storage that was previously offered.

Free users with more than 1,000 photos or videos will have until January 8th, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download their surplus content. After January 8th, free users with over 1,000 pictures or videos won't be able to upload any more. And on February 5th, 2019, free accounts that are still over the limit will have their content actively deleted until they're back under 1,000 (starting with the oldest content first).

Flickr is also adding numerous changes and enhancements to the $49.99-per-year Flickr Pro service over the course of the next few months. Paid customers will be given unlimited storage for photos and videos at full resolution, no ads, additional data on how their photos are performing, "premier" customer service, videos up to 10 minutes long (instead of three minutes), and partner discounts from Adobe, Smugmug, Peak Design, and more.

To sweeten the deal for any free holdouts, Flickr is also offering a 30 percent discount off of the first year of Flickr Pro through November 30th, which may help ease the sting of losing that free storage space.

Dq8YUO3X4AEKfj1.jpg

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
finally announced they're getting rid of yahoo login but also do this at the same time to hide it, i was planning on using my flickr storage to back my PS4 screenshots up because i wanted to avoid google purely down to the resizing thing but i guess i'll have to find something else to do now

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
well that sucks. I have my wife's entire photo library backed up to flickr.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
The point is to make a photographer's community again, as was its original intent. Once they made it free 1TB storage it just became a photo backup service. This will weed out a lot of crap and make it easier to connect with other photo enthusiasts and pros, start up some real groups with conversations, critiques, etc.

As someone into photography I'm excited about the change.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
rip

bgjtMvJ.png

I used to pay for pro too. If Google Photos didn't exist I'd probably do it again.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Google photos is still the best option, despite the compression?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If you don't want your photos data mined to shit then I still think paying for flickr pro is the best option.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
The point is to make a photographer's community again, as was its original intent. Once they made it free 1TB storage it just became a photo backup service. This will weed out a lot of crap and make it easier to connect with other photo enthusiasts and pros, start up some real groups with conversations, critiques, etc.

As someone into photography I'm excited about the change.
it's simple, just give those that pay for it the ability to make it public or private, if they don't pay they don't get to go public

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Well good thing I have the originals still and 1 Gbps up. $50 is a bit steep for a few hundred GBs per year.

But shit, that's a lot of work. They got me.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
SmugMug indeed.

But seriously. Reading the explanation it seems they're trying to invite people who use Flickr for it's original purpose.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
The 1 TB was crazy and i expected this move someday so everything i uploaded there, i also shove onto my NAS. So I'm good. 1000 is rather low though.

If you want to look into NAS, try Synology Diskstation's. A 2-bay NAS for Raid 1 (like DS218 or DS216) is easy on the money and easy to handle with a simple UI.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
While I've caved in, I think they're pushing their luck with $50. Servers and storage cost money sure, but with the minor amount of ads they had, $20 should enable profitability.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
While I've caved in, I think they're pushing their luck with $50. Servers and storage cost money sure, but with the minor amount of ads they had, $20 should enable profitability.

Well, Backblaze seems to be the same price a year, and then you can backup everything on your computer, not just photos. That is if you used Flickr more as a backup for photos at least.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Wow, I have literally thousands of images there, thousands. IMGUR would have been my preferred choice if they did not automatically compress and change pngs to jpgs beyond (IIRC) 5 MB.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is flickr still relevant for professionals? I know for personal use and archival google photos/drive has completely replaced it for me.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
1000 photos is not much at all. I barely use any of the storage and have 1100 photos. This is ridiculous

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so what should I move my photo library to

It depends on what your goals and usage are. If you just want to back up photos, Backblaze is a good option. If you want accessibility, Google Photos is a good option but they recompress photos if you want to use the free Tier. Personally, I use a combination of cloud backup to store the originals, but also upload to Google Photos for access and as a fail safe in case anything happens to the cloud back up. The nice thing about Google Photos is I use it's search ability to find stuff and then I can look at what the image file name is and then search for that file name on my NAS. It's much easier to find photos this way.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
There's google photos that's free, but they'll compress and resize your stuff on the free tier:
Unless you're doing professional-level print work (in which case you should be paying for Google Photos or another professional-level storage service), the compressed version of stuff in Google Photos is pretty much indistinguishable from the source version.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Always expected that to happen at some point, even before it was sold off. I always wanted to use it more than to back up my travel and family photos, but never did enough to justify another subscription going on for me.

But man, 1000 is like nothing.

I guess google photos it is. :/

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Unless you're doing professional-level print work (in which case you should be paying for Google Photos or another professional-level storage service), the compressed version of stuff in Google Photos is pretty much indistinguishable from the source version.

I wish google photos had a paid version you could upload and store .raw. right now i have them in drive but it would be great if you could have the jpeg and raw in the same spot.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Compressed, sure. But the 16MP resizing!

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Goggle's servers are going to do work in december, with people shuffle all their GB from flickr to them.

Oct 25, 2017
The moment they moved to 1TB is just because a dumping ground for photo backups with no real community involvement. Storage and server costs ain't cheap at that scale and if they want to truly remain ad free/low ad this is the best out come.

If you're just going for best shots/community vibe a 1000 photos is quite a lot.