• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Update

Game has options for install size and mode

Flight Simulator supports the optional chunks feature which allows you to install/uninstall parts of the game. The metadata describing these chunks didn't propagate simultaneously with the pre-load, so the initial displayed chunk was "everything" at ~97GB; this has now been fixed and the optional chunk is showing correctly. You can manage the installation in the Manage section of the UX accessible either by selecting "Manage" instead of "Install" or through the context menu once installed.

In Flight Simulator's case, the optional chunk is a ~59GB offline world chunk that is only required for offline play. Whilst online, this data is not used and the game instead streams in additional data that is cached locally (also visible and manageable in the Manage UX under "Saved Data").
A lot of people put in a lot of work to get all these features working and it's nice to see them being utilized by a showcase experience.

Perhaps we can have the thread title fixed to reflect the base game size more accurately?
20210721_181324.jpg

Last edited:

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of public knowledge by now: any GAAS title is going to require a ridiculous amount of gigs. Better brace yourselves, because I fully expect it to get worse as the generation goes on.

WastedDeer

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the Microsoft game everyone is talking about? Skyrum? I like having a little tipple on a plane so this may be right up my ally.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
You cant preload this. You can preload the 200mb file. But most downloading you will do ingame. And that is gonna be arround 97gb

qn1gqk6ktpb71.jpg

Wait, does that mean I can't install it remotely? I'm out of town and I wanted this to download by the time I get back through the Gamepass app.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't it what they announced already? I mean the expected/targeted DL size of around 100gigs?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It's kind of public knowledge by now: any GAAS title is going to require a ridiculous amount of gigs. Better brace yourselves, because I fully expect it to get worse as the generation goes on.
I don't think this can be contributed to a game being GaaS. I expect next gen games to be fine in size and Flight Simulator to be a exception, since it's contains the whole world. At least a less detailed version. After all the detailed parts get streamed in on the fly iirc.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
This game took like 170~ GB when it first came out on PC.

They've significantly reduced that somehow, via patching, to ~80 GB.

It's interesting that it's going to take more now, on the Xbox. Perhaps over time they'll shrink that version, too.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Sigh. No, not all of it. It's not 100GB of ship models and code.

But yes, internet required.

This can't be compared to any GAAS game, the others use repeated geometry and textures incessantly because not trying to represent *the planet*.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Downloading in game? As I'm flying I have to hope my internet doesn't shit the bed so a new country can load in or something? Well. My download speed isn't the greatest so hopefully it doesn't ruin the experience.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Probably 50% of the PS4 and Xbox One user base are on 500GB HDDs and nobody died.
Series S users will be fine.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Time to take that expansion card out of the box and see if it works I guess.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Much smaller than when it first launched on PC. They've done really good work getting this file size down.

It used to be 170gb(!)

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Exactly how much data is needed to fully model the third planet in our solar system?
Even if it is necessary the way the PC version handles it is pretty annoying.

The Microsoft Store download is only the client. When you open the client you need to leave it open for hours to download whatever it is (around 170GB when it launched IIRC) before you start playing.

Can fully understand the need for streaming in assets from the cloud during gameplay but the way the PC version installs/updates is pretty clunky for PC let alone a console where you can only have one app/game really open at once.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the Xbox build is going to handle the cache, if at all? Flight Sim on PC has the option to have a certain amount of space allocated to a general cache, that stores recent map information to speed up loading, on top of the initial install. There's a second cache too for extremely high quality map data, where you can select regions and download the absolute maximum satellite detail and, in supported cities, photogrammetry data to ensure the area looks the best it possibly can.

Both can be manually adjusted, and the latter is an entirely manual download process. It should be possible on console, just a matter if they'll bother supporting it.

EDIT: To those wondering why you can't just download the "full game"; it's not possible. FS2020 requires satellite data from Bing Maps the volume of global data available would be impossible to store without a server farm.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the Xbox build is going to handle the cache, if at all? Flight Sim on PC has the option to have a certain amount of space allocated to a general cache, that stores recent map information to speed up loading, on top of the initial install. There's a second cache too for extremely high quality map data, where you can select regions and download the absolute maximum satellite detail and, in supported cities, photogrammetry data to ensure the area looks the best it possibly can.

Both can be manually adjusted, and the latter is an entirely manual download process. It should be possible on console, just a matter if they'll bother supporting it.
I think thats why it has its own client ingame for all that? And we dont see the full game download from the store.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Even if it is necessary the way the PC version handles it is pretty annoying.

The Microsoft Store download is only the client. When you open the client you need to leave it open for hours to download whatever it is (around 170GB when it launched IIRC) before you start playing.

Can fully understand the need for streaming in assets from the cloud during gameplay but the way the PC version installs/updates is pretty clunky for PC let alone a console where you can only have one app/game really open at once.
Exactly. I wonder if they even have something in place to make sure the console doesn't just go in standby. A full download of the base assets right on the store would have been preferable.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Sigh. No, not all of it. It's not 100GB of ship models and code.

But yes, internet required.

Internet required is not a problem. Besides, anything you're playing on Gamepass requires you to be online at all times, no ?

I haven't been keeping up, but now that I think of it the whole world is probably *a lot* more than 100GB of data, so you'll always be streaming.
100GB is just the space reserved for cached data I guess?
Not sure how my 15mbit is going to keep up.