• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Thank you VRR. Glad my TV has it. Probably only get up to 40fps though haha.

30fps makes sense though, Flight Simulator is a demanding game even on top end PCs.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I don't think it's the type of game that needs to be played at 60 or 120 fps, so I'm ok with that. I'm more curious to know the resolution that it'll run on my Series S.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was curious what FPS target they'd hit, with it being pretty performance intensive and all that. Any word on how they've adapted the control scheme to run on a pad yet?

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Knew it couldn't look that good at 60! Not surprised though still gonna mess around with it

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Wasn't this game utilizing only a single or two cores on PC (heavily) ? Which would explain this. Unfortunate that the developers didn't properly multi-thread their tech. It's not because of the graphics the Series X can't get this to 60 fps but rather just a lackluster use of the CPU behind this game (super taxing on PC even when attempting to reach 60 fps).

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising, I guess. That game will be a PC benchmark for years to come.

OP
OP
gifyku

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
For resolution, they showed a 4k capture from Series X in the trailer and I would place my bet on 1440p for Series S

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising, this game is very taxing on PC, although I think this is partly because it makes poor use of the CPU?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The game is pretty much single threaded for whatever reason, this wasn't going to be 60fps, perhaps Xbox can encourage them to improve the CPU side of the engine though.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Not surprising, I'd say. This is a very CPU demanding game, we all know that these consoles strenght lay on the GPU.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Expected and I think that should be fine. This isn't a game that seems like it will be filled with quick camera changes and zipping by landscapes (generally :p)

OP
OP
gifyku

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Wasn't this game utilizing only a single or two cores on PC (heavily) ? Which would explain this. Unfortunate that the developers didn't properly multi-thread their tech.

While that is an issue (they are working on a DX12 update which I think is coming with the console release), the game is graphically intense as well plus reliant on a complex SIM model plus streaming assets.

I wouldnt expect this game to go over 60fps the whole gen on PC

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Really interested to see the DF analysis on this. I have a VRR TV, so I'm curious to see if it plays any better unlocked rather than a stable 30fps. Wonder what sort of framerates it manages to hit...don't you need to be at least mid-40s for VRR to really work?

OP
OP
gifyku

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Wow, that's really awful news. They're not even going to offer a performance mode?

This game doesnt need anything over locked 30 fps. I say this as a PC gamer who plays this with a 3080.

There will be use cases like VR and hardcore simmers who will need more but on a 65 inch TV with a console, 30 fps will be more than enough.

(I reserve the right to change my opinion when the Top Gun pack comes out lol)

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Wasn't this game utilizing only a single or two cores on PC (heavily) ? Which would explain this. Unfortunate that the developers didn't properly multi-thread their tech. It's not because of the graphics the Series X can't get this to 60 fps but rather just a lackluster use of the CPU behind this game (super taxing on PC even when attempting to reach 60 fps).
The game is pretty much single threaded for whatever reason, this wasn't going to be 60fps, perhaps Xbox can encourage them to improve the CPU side of the engine though.

They announced ages ago that they were switching over to DX12 and significantly optimizing the code to run better on Xbox consoles on release.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
How does VRR boost frame rate ?

do they mean the game will run unlocked and VRR will just make it more stable ?

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
30fps is totally fine for this kind of release. Heck it's a lot more than many of us have had in the past on PC in some situations.

MS may have a communication issue on the matter though with gamers without experience of the genre. I expect there will be plenty of concern trolling from folks who haven't dabbled with PC flight sims.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that's really awful news. They're not even going to offer a performance mode?
Honestly? Flight Simulator is basically the one game where you can get away with 30FPS. The PC version is really difficult to run at 60, and I doubt the console version will magically resolve the CPU bottleneck the PC version suffers from. I'm assuming the devs got it as far as a consistent 30 and declared it good enough.

Oct 30, 2017
this doesn't seem like the sort of game that needs to be 60fps.

you're piloting an aircraft that moves in one direction. not a whole lot of action going on screen to necessitate higher than 30.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
People complaining about 30 fps have clearly never attempted to play this on the PC - a 3090 chokes on it at 4k barely reaching 60 fps (depending on settings) - let alone CPU threading issues

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
They announced ages ago that they were switching over to DX12 and significantly optimizing the code to run better on Xbox consoles on release.
DX12 will just enable the graphics command buffer to be shared by multiple threads/cores. It doesn't change the core game logic behind it all if that's written in a near-single threaded fashion (if it is it won't matter much anyways if you have DX12 or not on top).