• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like he was planning to kill the relative he had an argument with before, so he mistook the son-in-law... which... what the fuck, this guy probably should've been locked up a long time ago

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
That jumping and growling sounds definitely like what a criminal / thief would do entering your house. But what the hell, shoot first, mourn/pray later.
It sounds like SUPER weak justification for the owner shooting first. I very much doubt someone trying to surprise someone would growl and give away their location first.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's super tragicomic that by owning a gun in your house for "safety and self defense" statistically means you are actually in more danger.

The articles where a parent accidentally shoots and kills their kid. I would just off myself at that point.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
My area is the type where something like this could happen. Guns and "protecting your family" etc are so prevalent that people generally half joke about it. "Don't show up past unannounced past 10 or you might get shot!". This mutually agreed upon mentally creates a situation where if someone is on your property past dark most people will assume that they're a threat or up to no good, the fact that they're there unannounced is proof enough in their mind because no friend or family member would be hiding in the bushes as they would know the risks. All it takes though is one person not knowing and buying into that mentally to have a situation like the one in the article.

It's awful because it's not just a hand full of paranoid people clutching their guns out of fear, but rather whole communities who sees possible immediate leathal force as normal and everyone who doesn't agree as insane.
Yep, I know this type of town well. I grew up in one. I mentioned this before on Era, but when I went off to college, my dad warned me to never just show up unannounced as a surprise, because he and mom would't be expecting me and might think I was an intruder in the home.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess guns are killing comedy too. Shame nothing could be done to prevent this from happening.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
So did he open the door? If so, how does it make sense that you hear someone banging on the door and instead of yelling, "Who is it? I have a gun" behind the door you open it?

Or did he fire through the door?

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is he not facing charges? It just seems weird that the police would unquestioningly take the shooter's side of the story and be like "welp, nothing to see here."

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, Thanksgivings from now on...

"Dayghter, why dont you come on over for Thanksgiving?"

"Hey dad, remember when you killed my husband?"

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
If you shoot family, you should lose your right to own a gun. I really think everyone can agree these idiots are fucking useless.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
User Banned (1 Week): Victim blaming, Advocating violence
Don't bang and/or growl at my door at 11:30pm either, or you may wind up with a similar fate.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017

screen-shot-2012-11-08-at-11-44-08-pm.png

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't even think to throw a punch, let alone pull out a gun and shoot someone. Shows how ridiculous gun culture is in this country. It's shoot first, think later.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
"Just be careful with my dad, ring the doorbell so he doesn't no-scope you when you try to surprise him."

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
While I think it;s exceedingly idiotic to be living in fear of a home invasion, and be on guard with your gun all the time, I also think it's really dumb to surprise somebody at their home at midnight, regardless if you're family or not.

I've never touched a gun in my life but I definitely wouldn't want someone showing up unannounced at my house at 12am

Obviously though the guy who shot is overwhelmingly at fault here. Shoot first ask questions later is such a bad mentality to have. Seems like it's one that's prevalent among anyone with a gun.

RIP to the victim. Hope the family can find peace at some point.

Guy should face charges...

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
That's one way to completely destroy your relationship with your daughter, and probably other family members too.

They mention another family member banged on the door similarly to meet him earlier, so knowing that him grabbing a gun to the door is rather suspect. I realize it was near midnight and loud banging, but still.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Surely this never would've happened if the son-in-law also had a gun. All we can do now is thoughts and prayers.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
If you are that scared for your life to bring a gun to the door then why would you open it?

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm. Could it be that in a place where everybody could potentially have a gun, you might actually be more afraid of silly little things because the one who shoots first usually stays alive so you make sure you're the one shooting first..?

Don't know how America could solve that problem. Probably with more guns.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Looking forward to somebody chiming in that the person who was shot and killed shouldn't have done a,b,c or 1,2,3 or blah blah blah.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to think while this is a gun problem... this is also an issue of people being scared to death by nothing at all.

If someone growling through a door makes you fear for your life... come on now.

Peoples existing in a constant state of fear is key to the gun lobby's success. Gun nuts live in anticipation of that time when lethal force is necessary. They play these scenarios in their heads over and over, and when the time comes they are acting on instinct. More often than not, the outcome will be a senseless maiming, but that's a small price to pay for the unwavering support of conservative voters.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because a lot of fucking morons are armed. Why wouldn't we be scared?
i guess its hard to understand for someone not living in a country with guns that readily available. i can count the amount of times i have seen a gun in person in my life on one hand (all of it from police, never a regular person)