• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.kcra.com/article/author...da-owner-likely-using-its-long-claws/27137108

The Alachua County Fire Rescue Department told the Gainesville Sun that a cassowary killed the man Friday on his property near Gainesville, likely using its long claws. The victim, whose name was not released, was apparently breeding the birds, state wildlife officials said.

Cassowaries are similar to emus and stand up to 6 feet tall and weigh up to 130 pounds, with black body feathers and bright blue heads and necks.

The San Diego Zoo's website calls cassowaries the world's most dangerous bird, with a 4-inch, dagger-like claw on each foot.

Call me a 6 foot Turkey if old.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
picture of the culprit just after the kill :

casuarius_casuarius_southern_cassowary_png_2_by_nick_hobgood.jpg

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing over and over.

It's a wild animal. Maybe leave them the fuck alone.

Condolences to the family etc.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm pretty sure this is known as the most dangerous "bird" there is. It's fucking known. All I'm saying.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My D&D group (of whom one is from Florida, and three are from Australia, not including myself and our DM) were making jokes just last night about "killer" animals in Australia and Florida, and the Cassowary came up at the end, being the first time I ever heard of them. So the timing of this is kind of surreal to me.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's kinda funny to me is there's absolutely breeds of Emu that are docile and you can have them as pets. Although their claws are something to still worry about, generally speaking they're safe to have around (though you still need to know what you're getting yourself into, and depending on the area, may require a permit).

What this guy was even remotely thinking about this particular breed, I honest to god don't know. Though, judging from the way the article is written, doesn't sound criminal whatever it was. Still...

Either way, I feel sorry for the family and give them my best wishes.

Deleted member 33116

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
These are the second scariest birds after Shoebills.

Shoebills look humanish and they make me very very uncomfortable.

what_in_the_world_is_a_shoebill_6_new_stateman.jpg

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
I was in Australia in the Daintree rain forest years ago. The tour guide we had had to pull over like five times to yell at tourists to stop getting out of their cars to take pictures of cassowaries. I can still very vividly remember him yelling "they'll fucking kill ya" in a deep Australian accent.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
why is a cassowary in Florida?

nvm, apparently the moron was breeding them. skipped over that part apparently

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Fucked up but even more fucked up that he was breeding them in the first place. There literally is no point to doing this and dying in such a pointless way.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
These birds will kill you for your god damn apple if they have the chance. Do not mess with these fuckers, they will end you.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The last thing Florida needs is these things in the wild along with the anacondas.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of a time I went hiking alone in the rainforest in North Queensland. I was prepared for cassowary and scorpion and snake and spider. But I was on the lookout for those giant scary birds especially because I was in their prime habitat. Little did I know I wouldn't see a cassowary that day but I'd be chased through the jungle by a 1000 pound feral pig with tusks probably at least the length of a cassowary talon. I should be dead. Lucky the pig ran off without murdering me. TLDR be careful in Queensland, or Florida for that matter.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the gif of the Kangaroo kicking the shit out of one?