• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Official Staff Communication
Title updated for accuracy.

Z7HeRxU.png

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Your title is actually less accurate. Birds are dinosaurs. This is not a technicality or some play on words. Birds fall squarely in Dinosauria. You can write avian-dinosaur if you want to be more specific.

If you wrote "Man killed by Ape" and meant he was killed by a human, I'd still update the title to alleviate confusion. There's plenty to talk about here without being misleading. We can do Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, etc. all day but it's still a giant bird. I'm not trying to be a hard ass, just trying to stop people from being confused and from half the thread being about dinosaurs.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Title updated for accuracy.
You are genuinely wrong. The original title was more accurate. Speaking anatomically, genetically, and temporally, T. rex is closer to modern-day birds than some other animals traditionally thought of as dinosaurs, such as Brachiosaurus. If both T. rex and Brachiosaurus are dinosaurs, so are modern birds. Saying that this guy wasn't killed by a dinosaur is inaccurate.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
The original thread title i half expected florida man to have crashed into a dinosaur bone display.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
<changes title to Moderator Eaten Alive by DInosaur thread>
You are genuinely wrong. The original title was more accurate. Speaking anatomically, genetically, and temporally, T. rex is closer to modern-day birds than other animals traditionally thought of as dinosaurs, such as Brachiosaurus. If both T. rex and Brachiosaurus are dinosaurs, so are modern birds. Saying that this guy wasn't killed by a dinosaur is inaccurate.

You're right. Accuracy wasn't the best word to use there. My intention was to avoid confusion, not mislead people. I've changed the title again to just name the animal that did it. I apologize for contributing to this tangent. Let's get the thread back on track.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Also remember that these birds are herbivores. People always talk about carnivores but always forget how dangerous herbivores can be. Herbivores kill more people annually than carnivores.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
You're right. Accuracy wasn't the best word to use there. My intention was to avoid confusion, not mislead people. I've changed the title again to just name the animal that did it. I apologize for contributing to this tangent. Let's get the thread back on track.
Well, it's still no fun, but at least it's accurate now.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
You live your entire life wondering how you're gonna die, never knowing that it'll be at the hands (feet) of a...bird.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this was going to be a cassowary attack before clicking on the thread. Scary dinos.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Yeah, not sure why the mod would change the title "to avoid confusion" when people were getting and understand almost immediately.

T'was good discussion.
Was literally in the middle of making this reply lol. Plus the reason people were confused to begin with was because they didn't know, it was a great learning opportunity and it's something everyone should know.

Oct 27, 2017
fl
i know a guy who worked at the alligator farm in st augustine fl. when they got a cassowary he said it was exactly like the opening of jurassic park. those birds dont even like each other unless its mating time

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
At least he died doing what he loved: making Florida an even weirder and more dangerous place for no apparent reason.

Godspeed, Florida Man.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Why in the world would you be breeding cassowaries in Florida? We've already got more than enough things here to kill us all roaming all over the place, including Florida Man himself.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, got to leave it in so that people can make fun of how an old man who lived roughly 20 minutes away from me died tragically. It's so funny! He left behind a significant other of 20+ years but it's hilarious because it's in Florida! So wacky!

It wasn't there as a joke. It was there to give more context, but I can see why it can be seen as a joke.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't there as a joke. It was there to give more context, but I can see why it can be seen as a joke.

Sorry, not meaning to blame you specifically. Really there's been very few callous remarks in this thread. The Florida Man thing is just a tired trend that has already been annoying me. Combine that with the fact that I work at the Hospital he died in, it grates on me.

I actually don't mind the man's location being included. I just wish people realized it's due to Florida having open freedom of information laws and not an opportunity to make jokes over real tragedies/events.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, is the mod who changed the title one of those people who's salty about dinosaurs having feathers or something?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, is the mod who changed the title one of those people who's salty about dinosaurs having feathers or something?

No. I was trying to keep the story focused on the man who died instead of people being confused about how a dinosaur killed someone like I saw in some of the replies on the first page. I have no problems with feathered dinosaurs or educating people about them, but this might not be the best context to do that.