Mar 3, 2019
They are literally changing the ammendment that was voted in wide spread support by the people and bastardizing it into this. Thank god I left that wasteland

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, so non-violent offenders that served their time and are struggling to find work because they are ex-cons, can make the decision whether they'd rather vote or eat for the week. Seems about right.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
This is talking about fines set during sentencing. If you have to fulfill your prison sentence first, I don't see how the rest of the sentence should be treated differently.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I remember telling friends who were cheering the passing of the bill at the 2018 Thanksgiving table that this was going to happen because the state was still controlled by Republicans who would subvert the will of the people. 🙁

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Just To add some context to this. This is simply an advisory opinion, meaning it's not legal in anyway and is just an opinion given by the court at the request of Desantis. An actual lawsuit with real implications and a final decision is still making its way through the courts.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
It sounds perfectly "fair" for the convicted to fulfill their punishment to return to society but come on. This advisory opinion seeks to ensure these people never ever get to, no matter what they do. It's twirling-mustachio-level unjust and petty.

Oct 28, 2017
A poll tax in the year of our Lord Two Thousand and Twenty? How is this even a thing?

source.gif

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely everything about the US prison system is insane and fucked up, the way people are permanently disenfranchised is just the tip of the ice berg.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Step 2: Florida GOP will ensure those fines are never fully paid, and if paid, are never updated to the voting rolls, etc.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Should people with IRS debt, student loans, a skipped jury summons, or an unpaid traffic ticket not be allowed to vote either?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
All Republicans are scum.

Including the ones on SCOTUS who will surely uphold this.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
In some states (most?) felons have the right to vote revoked. Luckily some states, NJ most recently, fixed that by restoring your right to vote if you're on probation starting in March 17, 2020, just in time for the June 2020 election.
Which is...ehhh, rather people be able to vote from jail. (Thanks Phil Murph!)

As usual, Florida is backwards as fuck.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If I was a billionaire I would create a fund just to pay the fines for people. Probably could have paid the fines with the hours billed to the state defending this bullshit

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Not even surprised, given my 15 years in Florida. Thank God I left that shithole of a state. I alwaytls though the Supreme Court was more liberal, or did Scott and DeSantis poison the courts as well?