• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
There's a small time twitch streamer I follow who free style raps on stream, he's white, and he uses the word "nilla" instead all the time. It sounded stupid as hell the first few times I watched him but eventually it got kinda funny. I honestly don't know if its better or worse though but on the list of things I really care about its pretty low.

I do recall that Louis CK bit where he says using the phrase "the n word" (that actual phrase) is not great because now you are putting the word into the mind of the listener, who of course expands it out to the full word. I always thought that was an interesting take.

Oct 30, 2017
No.

And even if I and every other resetera black person stopped saying it its not like we hold more collective power than Drizzy and Kendrick.

African Americans have mixed feelings about the use and reapproriation of the word im their communities about empowerment versus degradation. What black people do no is its not cool for some random white guy to say nigga.

You wanna say nigga. Say it, but domt bitch amd complain when you get called for it.

So diffusion of responsibility? What can one person really do?

I agree, a white person shouldn't be saying, period. But it needs to go further than that.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Interesting opinions but still it doesn't change the fact that the ultimate goal of humanity should be equality with each other. As long as people say it's okay for *insert gender/race/colour here* to say a word but nobody else can then you are against equality. For me personally i don't see race i only see human-beings, i wish everybody else was the same.

The egalitarian society you seek will never exist without first acknowledging that race is a thing and there is disparity.

skillhop

Feb 18, 2018
It's not surprising at all to see that someone like Ninja would do this in the first place. A high traffic streamer with endless supporters (no matter what outrageous thing he could have said) who has come off the high of streaming with not one, but two, celebrities. Not exempting him from criticism -- he's still a dork who deserves to get shoved in a locker -- but this shouldn't come off as a surprise.

If I'm completely honest, it doesn't enough sound like words at that point– he's just flapping lips and letting syllables fly.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
It is always sad to see these threads where fellow whites want to play 20 questions to find out when using some variation of the n word is okay. While also calling people asking for someone to apologize after using it crucifying the user.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Non-black people tripping over themselves to justify saying the n-word while claiming their specific black friends said it was okay. All while ignoring the vast majority of black voices on the topic.

Don't say it.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I'm going to be honest.
It's important to mention that I'm black, but most definitely do not speak for all black people, nor in any way does my opinion cancel out or lessen the validity of that of other black people who disagree with me.

That being said, I was willing to give him a pass* on the thread title alone. I'm at work, so I didn't watch the clip immediately when folks were around.
Maybe he was just going along with a song (was my guess at the time), and got caught up saying it, because I guess the lyrics must be in his head.

....once I'm watched the clip, I know that this was not just some isolated mistake. Dude probably uses the word very often, and enough so that when he didn't know the exact words to a song and felt the need to make a split second guess at them, lest he lose his flow, he found the N word to be a good go-to guess at the words.

He shouldn't be doing this, and deserves any backlash he gets for it.

For non-black people: Just to clarify, as I see a lot of miseducation and confusion in this thread, black people have no consensus on how they feel about this word. Even among black people, this a large range of views. Because of this, if you wish to be even a half decent person who even wants to pretend to not be racist, you should just never use the word, regardless of how the few black people you actually interact with feel. Those black people might run into disagreement and offense over it as well, but that's a different context and therefore conversation altogether.
However, if you want to make it known that you don't care how your words and actions might negatively affect black people, then go ahead and use it. I like it when I can easily identify you.
Free speech was never a thing. You'll pay for what you say.

*And by "a pass", I meant, I'll forgive him for slipping up, should he be sorry for it.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe with everything denied to us/taken from us, y'all really can't just let black people have the n-word.

It bothers y'all that much huh

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I feel like this discussion is part of the issue in unnecessary divisions between groups. I'm not going to pretend there isn't baggage in words, sensitivity and empathy should be used, and that feelings can be hurt. I just wish the word and its variations would get tossed out the window by everyone. I've heard so much music be blasted by both groups in public with the word "nigga" or even the "hard R." If anyone listens to that stuff frequently it's hard for it to not become a part of your vocabulary--it's how our brains work. If we saw other skin groups using a word "exclusive" to "their kind" then it would be incredibly absurd, would it not?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting opinions but still it doesn't change the fact that the ultimate goal of humanity should be equality with each other. As long as people say it's okay for *insert gender/race/colour here* to say a word but nobody else can then you are against equality. For me personally i don't see race i only see human-beings, i wish everybody else was the same.

How about when black people aren't getting shot disproportionally by police, aren't put in jail at higher rates, make as much money as white families, we can worry about white people saying the n word. Equality my ass.

I feel like this discussion is part of the issue in unnecessary divisions between groups. I'm not going to pretend there isn't baggage in words, sensitivity and empathy should be used, and that feelings can be hurt. I just wish the word and its variations would get tossed out the window by everyone. I've heard so much music be blasted by both groups in public with the word "nigga" or even the "hard R." If anyone listens to that stuff frequently it's hard for it to not become a part of your vocabulary--it's how our brains work. If we saw other skin groups using a word "exclusive" to "their kind" then it would be incredibly absurd, would it not?

The word was co-opted because white slavers used the word for hundreds of years to enslave black folks. Ignoring this context is pretty silly.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally i don't see race i only see human-beings, i wish everybody else was the same.
Y'all I don't see race dudes are honestly just as bad as the blatant racists out there.

I want you you to see my blackness. I want you to recognize it. I want you to try and understand it. I want you to relies the history that comes with being black. I want to know why a certain subset of people got excited about black panther, or why black excellence is a thing but doesn't exclude whites being good as well. I want you to see me a person, a black person, with a specific culture and background and perspective that is NOT the same as every other white person walking around. I want you to realize we don't make as much money, and get locked up, or killed, or made th bad guy way more than a lot of folks.

If you can wrap your head around that instead of pretending you don't see race then maybe you can begin to understand the complicated history behind the n word.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
What I find funny

Is that some of you people automatically say someone is outraged

Who here has said anything about ending the nigga's career? Only the people complaining of outrage culture

But ya know
I find this a bit disappointing, ironic or not. Its part of the culture [rap] and when you have people that enjoy the culture irrespective the color of their skin you pick up the languange, slang, etc. Hes in the wrong yes but context matters. He wants to be "in" and doesnt see black people as a sub species like some other dumb ass youtubers. Know whos on your side.

Oct 25, 2017
This is where we end up when people on Xbox Live, PSN and PC gaming use "nigger" as a straight up insult for years with no consequence. You get people trying to normalize "nigga". "Well it's not so bad", "at least they didn't say it with the hard R."

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Ah, so black people saying it are the issue. I see...
Popular culture/media using it is the problem, at least if others dont want it used by "whites". In what reality do young people NOT copy or emulate what is viewed as cool by their contemporaries? Now, imagine, some of these kids that listen to this music or watch these movies or have friends who use the word constantly MIGHT add this word to their collective subconscious vocabulary because of how immersed said word is in popular culture at the moment and let it slip sometimes.

So no, it's not black people, its people thinking kids wont copy want to copy what they see. It's also golden rule shit, ie, if you don't want little white kids saying it, maybe stop saying it yourself. Treat others the way you yourself want to be treated.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally i don't see race i only see human-beings, i wish everybody else was the same.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Okay, so what you said here is a little bit of an issue for a few reasons.

1) Everyone sees race - you can't ignore social influences. How you act and react based on what you see may be different... But you definitely understand the stereotypes and everything else.

2) The other issue with "not seeing race" is that society affects different races differently. If you start to ignore race while people are still being hurt by society, you're blinding yourself to injustice.

Like, it's great to want to see people only as people, but saying you don't see race doesn't really help. Society itself has to change a LOT, and we're definitely not there yet. So you should "see" race.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not surprising at all to see that someone like Ninja would do this in the first place. A high traffic streamer with endless supporters (no matter what outrageous thing he could have said) who has come off the high of streaming with not one, but two, celebrities. Not exempting him from criticism -- he's still a dork who deserves to get shoved in a locker -- but this shouldn't come off as a surprise.

If I'm completely honest, it doesn't enough sound like words at that point– he's just flapping lips and letting syllables fly.

My new favorite pastime is reading posts like this without looking at the poster's avatar then guessing what it is based on tone and content.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

Yes but on the way to that goal, people should be considerate of others' wishes if it doesn't really affect them. Not being able to say nigga in a song isn't actually harmful to me as a white person, but it creates negative feelings in some black people if they would hear me say it. So I don't.

Once we eliminate the true threats to equality in the world, I suspect we'll see issues like this thread become a non-factor. Until then, just be empathetic.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Non-black people tripping over themselves to justify saying the n-word while claiming their specific black friends said it was okay. All while ignoring the vast majority of black voices on the topic.

Don't say it.
Exactly. The faceless masses mean more than black """friends""" ever could.

OP
OP
LionPride

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find this a bit disappointing, ironic or not. Its part of the culture [rap] and when you have people that enjoy the culture irrespective the color of their skin you pick up the languange, slang, etc. Hes in the wrong yes but context matters. He wants to be "in" and doesnt see black people as a sub species like some other dumb ass youtubers. Know whos on your side.

Ain't no white person who says nigga on my side

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Question.

How many of these people you're referring to are actually black? I'm familiar with this phenomenon, but it's a bunch of white people calling other white people the N word, then turning around and saying "see? it doesn't mean anything! racism is over!"

Also, this.

For the record, I've said some stupid shit when I was younger, and even more recently I was fine with dropping the N word when singing along with rap music...by myself. Do I still do that? No, although because I had been doing it for years, it'll slip occasionally. It's never on purpose though, and if someone were to overhear me I'd apologize.
A lot, but i wasn't like i was counting.

That's how normal it is.

I moved from Puerto rico to the States and pretty much everybody in school called me a nigga even tho it's pretty obvious i'm hispanic and that was my experience throught my entire life.

I didn't say the word when i came but i quickly acclimated to using it since it's such a huge part of the culture that it become natural.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Popular culture/media using it is the problem, at least if others dont want it used by "whites". In what reality do young people NOT copy or emulate what is viewed as cool by their contemporaries? Now, imagine, some of these kids that listen to this music or watch these movies or have friends who use the word constantly MIGHT add this word to their collective subconscious vocabulary because of how immersed said word is in popular culture at the moment and let it slip sometimes.

So no, it's not black people, its people thinking kids wont copy want to copy what they see. It's also golden rule shit, ie, if you don't want little white kids saying it, maybe stop saying it yourself. Treat others the way you yourself want to be treated.

This is such a reductionist view of a deeply complex issue. There's a lot more nuance to it than just the "golden rule" also ninja isn't a fucking kid. He's a 26 year old grown ass fucking man.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
*clap clap* This is a new one. So going along with this thread. Do you find it wrong/understand/agree with black people like myself that find it wrong??

So are you going to drop those word/lyrics among strangers?
I think the word is a bad word to say so no one should use it. Most if not all of my black friends also agree and dont hinge whether or not the word is bad on the skin color of who says it.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So diffusion of responsibility? What can one person really do?

I agree, a white person shouldn't be saying, period. But it needs to go further than that.

The reality is black people started saying nigga without consideration for white people cause you know, racism, slavery, segregation, white peoples whole desire to exclude us from.pretty much everything. Now you sitting here telling me we collectively need to get together and mend our language so white people can stop saying shit they fucking started in the first place?

I'm sorry but this is fucking bullshit amd you know it.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Putting this thread on hold, because my god.

EDIT: Thread will remain closed as it appears the opportunity for productive discussion has passed. Moderation is reviewing the thread to see if any individual posts need to be actioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.