• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I know a few people asked about Ys VIII: Lacrimosa Of DANA running on the Switch. And NIS America recently provided us with some footage of the game. So here it is, running on the Switch. Outside of the obvious IQ drop, it seems everything from the PS4 version is intact. It looks better than the PS Vita version (duh!) and seems to be running at 30fps. Can't tell about the resolution.

Edit: This is from the current build, not the retail build. So the frame rate could improve.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Did they forget to port the lock-on feature, did I just miss it, did the player not know it existed or did they just not use it for some reason?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer was 60fps, so that would be pretty shitty.

Though the video itself doesn't have a 60fps option, so maybe it's just that.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Yet another game downgraded to 30 FPS. It's a real shame about these Switch ports.

Not every game needs to be 60 FPS by a long shot, but Ys is a game that specifically suffers from reduced frames.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, couldn't NIS do a dual mode of a framerate toggle at lower res? This is the kind of game you REALLY want at 60fps.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
30fps? That's really weird considering the official trailer on the Nintendo YouTube channel has 60fps unless I am mistaken?

Oct 25, 2017
30fps might be a dealbreaker. At least give us 720/60fps in docked mode.

What are the chances that this could be rectified by the time the retail version comes out? Realistic or not likely?

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Wow that looks really good. Looks like it would play well portable too.

Is the PC version ever going to come out?

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one to get up in arms about fps stuff but playing it on my PS4 at 60 fps is a blast. Not gonna bother with getting this for my Switch version since it'll pretty much be the bargain bin version of the game at 30 fps and it'll feel weird going to a lower fps.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Shoot! 30 FPS might be a deal-breaker for this type of game. :(
I'm no expert but if the Vita reaches native Res (544p) + 25-30 FPS for the most part, I think the Switch should be capable of 720@60. At least unlocked frame rate around 40-60.

This is an action heavy game that should prioritise responsiveness over fidelity. Especially if it's as simple looking as is in this case imo.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a really fun game. Hopefully they optimize this port right.

Not saying they're gonna do this, but, if it came down to it, can they bump it to 60fps with a day-1 or shortly after game's release patch?

They can, but the fact they locked the framerate (apparently) to 30fps may indicate that is not even close to reach 60fps right now.

Truner

Oct 27, 2017
Hungary
I have 12 runs in Felghana PSP (which is a 30FPS port), so I'm completely fine with this. The original (Vita) version wasn't 60FPS either.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm noticing those jaggy/flickers way too much in those videos, might distract me so much I'm considering skipping it.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Wouldn't this kind of video be false advertising if it's 30fps in the end? I wouldn't consider it set in stone just because *some* media were captured without a 60fps option. We'll see though.

The overall video quality looks pretty rough to me as well, I hope the game at least looks cleaner like in this trailer instead.

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Wouldn't this kind of video be false advertising if it's 30fps in the end? I wouldn't consider it set in stone just because *some* media were captured without a 60fps option. We'll see though.

The overall video quality looks pretty rough to me as well, I hope the game at least looks cleaner like in this trailer instead.

this video is cleary at 30 fps though, it doens't matter that youtube have a 60 fps option on it