• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
And holy shit, no matter the cost, United need to hire Poch as our long term manager.

Spurs are playing amazing

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Most teams already do, especially a team like Madrid. When there is the slightest doubt of offside or a foul or whatever, teams protest. Also, this case of offside wasn't noticeable without the camera right? It used to be a rule that when in doubt about offside, the attacking team should get the benefit. I prefer that rule over this tbh.

No, in doubt for the attacker never used to be a rule. It's something pundits and commentators say, because the haven't got a clue about the rules of the game. With offside being a binary decision, it's the PERFECT use case for VAR.

It was a suggestion, all I know is that in it's current form most people who visit games are not a fan and there's weekly discussions on VAR decisions in the papers and on footy talkshows over here, which says to me that it's not working as it should. The whole idea was to make football more fair and reduce discussions on ref decisions, right?

Yes, the idea was to make football more fair. It is doing that though isn't it? Big mistakes have gone down massively in the Bundesliga for example. Mistakes WITH VAR are rare and openly discussed by the german FA.
Humans are emotional beings, preventing any discussions will never happen. VAR has been shown to drastically lower mistake rates, maybe people will someday accept this as a fact and discussion will cease. However the media needs drama and tension to generate headlines, so I doubt it will ever happen.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Is way too early to declare Ajax dead. Real's defence is always capable of letting a couple of goals in, no matter who's the opponent.

Nyx

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utrecht, The Netherlands
No, in doubt for the attacker never used to be a rule. It's something pundits and commentators say, because the haven't got a clue about the rules of the game. With offside being a binary decision, it's the PERFECT use case for VAR.

Yes, the idea was to make football more fair. It is doing that though isn't it? Big mistakes have gone down massively in the Bundesliga for example. Mistakes WITH VAR are rare and openly discussed by the german FA.
Humans are emotional beings, preventing any discussions will never happen. VAR has been shown to drastically lower mistake rates, maybe people will someday accept this as a fact and discussion will cease. However the media needs drama and tension to generate headlines, so I doubt it will ever happen.

Are you sure about that? I even recall Marco van Basten talking about that rule and he should know. ;)

Well maybe I'll be accepting the VAR in a few years, but it's hard to imagine right now. Too many VAR decisions against my club this season I guess!

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Tottenham Tottenham this tie and don't end up in the quarterfinals then it'll be the most Tottenham thing that ever Tottenham'ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.