• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the idea of him answering to Simeone with the same kind of "action", but given his rape accusations that was in very poor taste.

Not that we didn't know already that his character doesn't match his talent.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Also, all we need now is Lyon to join the group of "improbable 2nd leg wins" this year.

Liverpool-Bayern could go either way I feel.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I understand the idea of him answering to Simeone with the same kind of "action", but given his rape accusations that was in very poor taste.

Not that we didn't know already that his character doesn't match his talent.
I don't think it counts as accusations when you've signed a document saying you did it.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Good to know you can read the different intentions on two similar gestures. Simeone got a 20k Euros fine for his gesture, no chance in hell Ronaldo is getting banned from the remainder of the UCL season and then some for the same.

Again, forget the Simeone gesture. What is Ronaldo trying to convey with that gesture? You want to defend it, so be it. But it was pretty clear that he made a sexual gesture on television.

I think that's a 10 game ban according to UEFA. Or is that 15, I can't remember.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
That's the problem with Ronaldo he had already answered Simeone on the pitch, there was no need for that nonsense. Just makes him look bad (not hard to do).

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

So for this case, how does she come forward if she signed an NDA? Was it timed based (unlikely)?

Why do you care? You only post in here when Bayern play anyway :P
giphy.gif

Mac_Lane

Oct 29, 2017
Paris, France
I just looked up Ligue 1's history and Marseille and Saint Étienne are tied as record title holders at 10 titles. Saint Étienne

Also PSG has 7, five of them earned in the last six years. Even Everton has more history lol

Ligue 1 has always been a very contested league. There have been periods of supremacy by one club but no club has been able to establish long-term dominance.

Sainté (short fort Saint-Etienne) dominated in the 60s and 70s. Last title they won was back in 81 with Platini.

Marseille ruled in the late 80s, early 90s.

Lyon was hegemonical in the 00s.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You must be a fan of Real Salt Lake

Look, if you paid any sort of attention, you'd know we're making fun of PSG, as the OP shows how little football history it has. Or are you denying PSG has bought success?

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
I spent part of the night reflecting on Schalke's performance and I think I'll double down on my comment following the final whistle : Schalke must reconsider their model and profesionnalize their structure. You just cannot afford such dips in performance which can damage your brand potentially for years, if not more - what happened yesterday is more than just a defeat, it's a statement that the team accepts without a fight to be pummeled into submission on the big stage.

And the problem is that the needed changes don't seem to be supported by their fanbase (see link, link and link). The debate regarding Schalke's professional structure (or lack thereof) has been on the table for 20 years now and it seems like the economical and cultural aspects are simply irreconciliable. If you're a Schalke fan, you want the team to be ran by supporters. And that's it. No alternative.

Which is a goddamn shame since Schalke has so much room to grow. All they need to shoot past teams like Valencia, Roma or Lyon in Europe and to become a serious contender each year for the Meisterschale is to open their capital to investors but they simply refuse to do so. I am at loss of words.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I spent part of the night reflecting on Schalke's performance and I think I'll double down on my comment following the final whistle : Schalke must reconsider their model and profesionnalize their structure. You just cannot afford such dips in performance which can damage your brand potentially for years, if not more - what happened yesterday is more than just a defeat, it's a statement that the team accepts without a fight to be pummeled into submission on the big stage.

And the problem is that the needed changes don't seem to be supported by their fanbase (see link, link and link). The debate regarding Schalke's professional structure (or lack thereof) has been on the table for 20 years now and it seems like the economical and cultural aspects are simply irreconciliable. If you're a Schalke fan, you want the team to be ran by supporters. And that's it. No alternative.

Which is a goddamn shame since Schalke has so much room to grow. All they need to shoot past teams like Valencia, Roma or Lyon in Europe and to become a serious contender each year for the Meisterschale is to open their capital to investors but they simply refuse to do so. I am at loss of words.

Any football opinion that contains the phrase "damage the brand" is immediately wrong, thanks.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Roma never were the same team after United tonked them. Totti basically retired after that. RIP in peace Roma.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Any football opinion that contains the phrase "damage the brand" is immediately wrong, thanks.
Why so ? Brand damages happen all the time across all industries.
Roma never were the same team after United tonked them. Totti basically retired after that. RIP in peace Roma.
Sarcasm ? I know football is not important in the grand scheme of things but I assumed we were colleagues sharing a same passion. If you think my remark deserves this answer then alright - whatever floats your boat, mate.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Why so ? Brand damages happen all the time across all industries.

Sarcasm ? I know football is not important in the grand scheme of things but I assumed we were colleagues sharing a same passion. If you think my remark deserves this answer then alright - whatever floats your boat, mate.

This notion that football clubs are brands and should sell their souls for a weird idea of success needs to be put to bed. Clubs are what the fans make of it, no matter how the press and various corporate entities try.
The best thing about German football is that fans are at the core of decision making and when they make a wrong step, they're quick to mobilise and effect in sending a message.

One of the worst things about English football is how corporate its all gotten, and yes I speak as a fan of a club that sold itself twice to people wanting to make money. Calling football clubs "brands" make my teeth itch. I'd rather my club was an integral part of the local community rather than looking to corporate partners to win the Money League trophy.

Muddy Water

Nov 13, 2017

This, it seems, is the reality of fame. The type of fame Ronaldo enjoys means power -- the power to hide in plain sight, to appear on screens in every country every weekend yet avoid being served. Ronaldo might not be above the law, but he can surround himself with a protective layer of lawyers, private investigators and fixers so thick he can hover above it for a lot longer than most.

And so, Ronaldo continues to score goals. Juventus continues to thrive. And Mayorga, with her scars now bared to all the world, continues to wait.

Pretty powerful paras to end on.

Thanks for sharing these links. All I knew about the case was ~ rape allegations ~ but no details. I didn't realise he'd already signed a statement pretty much admitting to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.