• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Sorry Auba but Black Panther there was only one:

eusc3a9bio-recebe-bola-de-ouro-em-165_1.jpg

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
What's the opinion of Portuguese Era on who is the greatest Portuguese footballer of all time? Eusébio or Cristiano?
Younger people say it's Cristiano, older people say Eusébio. All the awards and records seem to boost Ronaldo though and honestly he deserves it, he is an elite athlete. Regardless, Ronaldo will never achieve the importance of Eusébio to our country, he was the only light during really dark times(dictatorship). There's a reason why he's buried in Pantheon amongst the greatest of our history.

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
LOL I've seen this take so many times. It doesn't make much sense to me because often other coaches have their clubs spend millions and have nothing to show for it.
Pep also performed well coaching Barça's second team the year before he was promoted to the first team.
It's baffling really, any good coach needs good players to win, of course Guardiola would not be as successful as he is if he didn't coach clubs with a great wealth, that doesn't change the fact that the tactics shown by his players in every team he's been have been impressive regardless of the money the club has spent.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I enjoy the kind of football his teams play, no matter whether they end up winning titles or not. His philosophy, to a great extent, inherits the tenets of Johan Cruyff when he was his coach at Barcelona
So I assume you like how Arsenal plays? Because we definitely played like this even before Barca

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
It's baffling really, any good coach needs good players to win, of course Guardiola would not be as successful as he is if he didn't coach clubs with a great wealth, that doesn't change the fact that the tactics shown by his players in every team he's been have been impressive regardless of the money the club has spent.

It's easy to play a high energy, technical game when your squad is the most expensive in the world though. Guardiola gets my respect when he builds a team up from nothing.

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to play a high energy, technical game when your squad is the most expensive in the world though. Guardiola gets my respect when he builds a team up from nothing.
So according to your reasoning you don't respect any manager of the top european clubs, gothca.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
So I assume you like how Arsenal plays? Because we definitely played like this even before Barca
I don't have many opportunities to watch Arsenal because I don't have access to Premier League matches so my impressions come only from European competitions.
I think Arsenal played an attractive football during the Wenger years but Wenger himself seemed prone to bottling his opportunities there.
The team seemed to be eternally too full of young promising players who were often poached by wealthier clubs without the consolidation you need to finally win something like the Champions League.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't have many opportunities to watch Arsenal because I don't have access to Premier League matches so my impressions come only from European competitions.
I think Arsenal played an attractive football during the Wenger years but Wenger himself seemed prone to bottling his opportunities there.
The team seemed to be eternally too full of young promises that often were poached by wealthier clubs without the consolidation you need to finally win something like the Champions League.

The last few years of Wengers reign we didn't even play beautiful football. Was extremely depressing.

The first 8 years of Wenger's reign though we were fucking phenomenal.

Then we had sort of another 8 year period of playing really nice football but not winning anything.

Then dark years of winning nothing and playing shit football.

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely loved the way Arsenal played a few years ago. In the Fabregas era I guess.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
So according to your reasoning you don't respect any manager of the top european clubs, gothca.

Almost every other top manager had to either start from the bottom or with less resources. Guardiola went from Barcelona to Bayern to Manchester City. That Barca side was incredible but let's not pretend that he's had to compromise to build a squad or impose his tactics. It's the same with Mourinho, except he actually had an incredible achievement with Porto early on in his career. Going from massive club to massive club and spending shitloads of money isn't the stuff of legends.

That's why I think that if Liverpool win a trophy this year, winning the title would be a greater achievement than winning the CL this season.

I'd massively respect Guardiola if he just fucked it all off and went to coach a lower league side up to the top. As it is, I just see him as someone who doped as a player and as a manager.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Arsenal had RVP during 2011-12 where he scored 30 goals. Wenger absolutely should have contended for the title that season but instead ended almost 20 points behind City and Utd.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
The team seemed to be eternally too full of young promising players who were often poached by wealthier clubs without the consolidation you need to finally win something like the Champions League.
Spot on mate. That's exactly what happened unfortunately and Wenger was very stubborn

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
The unfortunate reality of current football is that wealthier clubs will always be at an enormous advantage.
Imagine if Barça didn't have the means to pay Messi obscene amounts of money. Another club would have signed him years ago and our results in the last decade would be practically inexistent.

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved the way Arsenal played a few years ago. In the Fabregas era I guess.
Yeah, that was the time I adored Arsenal and followed a lot of the matches!

Arshavin - Van Persie - Walcott
Fabregas

Were great to watch at times. Throw in late Henry, some Nasri, Wilshere and Ramsey when he was healthy. A shame they weren't consistently good though. But following Arsenal over the years was heartbreaking. Seeing Henry, RVP, Fabregas going... once they put money on the table Wenger was in delirium and coudn't keep up with modern tactics. Arsenal had only one chance at the title in the last 10 years, the year Leicester took it. Gunners were up there, but choked :(

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Managers should be honest when they're asked asked who they want in a draw, we all know you want Porto, just say it

In Arsenal's case just please not Chelsea

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the Arsenal team that got to the Champions League final without conceding a goal, even Eboue was great that year and Hleb was looking like a top player

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
Almost every other top manager had to either start from the bottom or with less resources. Guardiola went from Barcelona to Bayern to Manchester City. That Barca side was incredible but let's not pretend that he's had to compromise to build a squad or impose his tactics. It's the same with Mourinho, except he actually had an incredible achievement with Porto early on in his career. Going from massive club to massive club and spending shitloads of money isn't the stuff of legends.

That's why I think that if Liverpool win a trophy this year, winning the title would be a greater achievement than winning the CL this season.

I'd massively respect Guardiola if he just fucked it all off and went to coach a lower league side up to the top. As it is, I just see him as someone who doped as a player and as a manager.
Guardiola started with a Barca side that seemed at the end of a cycle and he had the balls to kick out some players who were clearly at the end of their run like Ronaldinho, downplaying his work there just as him being lucky that he found a team with all that talent is odd to say the least, and trying to take Liverpool as an example of virtuosity when this summer they spent 70 million on a goalkeeper and much more on other players is disingenuous, if they'll win a trophy it wiil be 'cause like any other top club in Europe they spent lots of money on good players (not trying to discredit Klopp's work btw).

The "he should go in a smaller club with a smaller salary" talk is also nonsense, coaches are professional, asking them to renounce to money and better means at their disposal just to prove some point to god knows who is fantasy talk.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
Barca will get Porto.

Poor Iker gonna suffer another humiliation at the hands or should I say feet of Messi :(

Status
Not open for further replies.