• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Versus City? My Son is ready.

tenor.gif
Let's see about that

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Against Napoli is good. If we win we become trophy challenger, if we lose we don't waste time. The worst scenario is to beat a bunch of small fries, only to lose in final.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ajax is fine for Juventus I guess, though they did beat Real so there's that. There's solid chances of a Juventus-Barca final. How much of an advantage or disadvantage do you reckon playing the final in Madrid would be for Barcelona?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Did we forget Juve played average in Madrid and got gifted a pen at home?

The cup is for bald fraud to lose.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Some surprises in Portugal's selection for the Euro Qualifiers:

--

Didn't even know Dyego Sousa was Portuguese tbh. There's also been zero rumours of him being called up in the press, so that makes it even more impressive. Could be a a nice "classical" striker for us though.

João Felix also comes as a surprise. Pretty young (19) and basically skipping the U-21 team too. Jota I think is a return? Unsure, but given his season it's not that surprising.
Germany:

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad for them because they probably want to get called up but us having players like Laca and Leno getting a good rest during the international breaks is great.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
On the one hand I'm sad ter Stegen doesn't get the recognition he deserves. On the other hand, not playing means less chances of him getting injured.
Ter Stegen should play though, Neuer is a shadow of his former self.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand I'm sad ter Stegen doesn't get the recognition he deserves. On the other hand, not playing means less chances of him getting injured.
Ter Stegen should play though, Neuer is a shadow of his former self.
Barça fans should be used to the best keeper in a nation not getting the No. 1 shirt 😉

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
No same in getting dumped by Barca should it happen. Had I been given the option of knocking out PSG and going out to Barca in the last 8 when Mou was sacked I'd have taken it. But miracles do happen.

Guardiola started with a Barca side that seemed at the end of a cycle and he had the balls to kick out some players who were clearly at the end of their run like Ronaldinho, downplaying his work there just as him being lucky that he found a team with all that talent is odd to say the least, and trying to take Liverpool as an example of virtuosity when this summer they spent 70 million on a goalkeeper and much more on other players is disingenuous, if they'll win a trophy it wiil be 'cause like any other top club in Europe they spent lots of money on good players (not trying to discredit Klopp's work btw).

The "he should go in a smaller club with a smaller salary" talk is also nonsense, coaches are professional, asking them to renounce to money and better means at their disposal just to prove some point to god knows who is fantasy talk.

I don't really disagree.

As Timm said Liverpool maybe only had the money to spend because of the Coutionho sale, and Barca only had the money to spend because of the Neymar abduction. So its all down to PSG.

Though I think the idea that Liverpool wouldn't have got VVD and then someone to replace Karius a bit weird. They would have if they had any ambition, even without Coutinho going for that much. Everyone could see they needed both. Maybe they don't buy the incredible "baby Keith" as I don't think they were as in need of him as they were VVD or Alisson.

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
No same in getting dumped by Barca should it happen. Had I been given the option of knocking out PSG and going out to Barca in the last 8 when Mou was sacked I'd have taken it. But miracles do happen.

I don't really disagree.

As Timm said Liverpool maybe only had the money to spend because of the Coutionho sale, and Barca only had the money to spend because of the Neymar abduction. So its all down to PSG.

Though I think the idea that Liverpool wouldn't have got VVD and then someone to replace Karius a bit weird. They would have if they had any ambition, even without Coutinho going for that much. Everyone could see they needed both. Maybe they don't buy the incredible "baby Keith" as I don't think they were as in need of him as they were VVD or Alisson.
I mentioned Klopp and Liverpool but i could have use any other top clubs and coach as an example: succesful managers are succesful 'cause they manage great players, trying to downplay what Guardiola has done in the last 10 years just because he got to the top immediatly instead of other names is ridicolous.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
wrt Pep, I think it matters too that people inside the clubs where he manages (both players and executives) seem to rate him extremely highly. It's the people who interact with him day-to-day who seem most impressed by him, which doesn't really jive with the "fraud who only succeeds due to spending a billion dollars" idea. (Leaving aside the Zlatans and the Joe Hart category of players who he kicks out when he joins.)

I'd say he's one of only a handful of managers in world football who (likely, based on available evidence, subject to uncertainty etc) add value to the clubs he's at.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I mentioned Klopp and Liverpool but i could have use any other top clubs and coach as an example: succesful managers are succesful 'cause they manage great players, trying to downplay what Guardiola has done in the last 10 years just because he got to the top immediatly instead of other names is ridicolous.
I didn't disagree with you lol.

He had his first shot at Barca and took it with both hands. That then helped him walk into Bayern and then into City. Had Bayern gone tits up it would have damaged him, but it didn't. Ziudane hasn't even had the stones to take another job, s only now will we see if he has what it take to rebuild Madrid.

Mou has been damaged by his time at Chelsea II and now United. Few would dispute he WAS one of the great managers in world football, but right now that label cannot be given to him.

If City were to call off a cliff over the next few years with Pep at the helm, it would similarly tarnish his reputation. But then he'd just go to PSG and do well there.

He is undoubtedly a great manager, but that doesn't mean that he hasn't also been fortunate in that the 3 teams he's managed have been either very well built before he got there, or able to poach from largely anyone they wanted at the time.

I'd love to see him try his hand at someone like Spurs or Athletico or Dortmund or one of the Milans or whatever. But he has no need to take those jobs. He knows full well he can walk from City and probably have any job he wants. Be it PSG, Barca again, Juve, or wherever.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe Tottenham is this close to winning a CL.

From this point on anything can happen.
Provided "anything" means, get knocked out. Sure.

Spurs not winning the CL is as sure a bet as you can get, even if there are only 8 teams in it

Just a note to say lol I'm wrong. I should get paid as a pundit for this shit

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
And everyone was scared shitless when he left because he organised the team from within the field.
Fortunately, Xavi Hernández stood up to the task and we are drooling at the thought that one day he may be Barça's coach.
I dont know about Xavi, is he really coaching material? Just because you were a good playmaker as a player doesnt mean you make a good coach, I dont really think that the skill sets overlap at all. He pops up now and then taking pot shots at Real Madrid or talking about "Barca DNA", its always some low level commentary with him. I just dont see it honestly.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I dont know about Xavi, is he really coaching material? Just because you were a good playmaker as a player doesnt mean you make a good coach, I dont really think that the skill sets overlap at all. He pops up now and then taking pot shots at Real Madrid or talking about "Barca DNA", its always some low level commentary with him. I just dont see it honestly.
Just my opinion but yes he is. Conversely, I don't think Andrés Iniesta is coaching material even if he is an excellent player. So, as you say, being a good player doesn't necessarily translate into being a good coach but hearing him talk about football makes me think Xavi will be a good coach.
On the low level commentary, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Would Coutinho even play? I was under the impression he was in and out the Barca side as they couldn't find his best position.

Yeah he might not, i think Dembele is keeping him out of the team right now. But an actual Barca fan might be able to give a better answer here!

I think we still sign VvD (but for slightly less money, as Southampton dont know we have loads of money), still sign Keita (because Klopp was raving about him at the time), but sign a much cheaper goalkeeper than Alisson and doubt we sign Fabinho at all without the Coutinho money.

Honestly its definitely left us in a much better place

He's still a cunt though

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I think we still sign VvD (but for slightly less money, as Southampton dont know we have loads of money), still sign Keita (because Klopp was raving about him at the time), but sign a much cheaper goalkeeper than Alisson and doubt we sign Fabinho at all without the Coutinho money.

Honestly its definitely left us in a much better place

He's still a cunt though

It's all somewhat circular though, had PSG not done what they did with Neymar and then Mbappe there is no way Alisson or Kepa or VVD or Dembele or anyone else goes for the money they go for. They set a ridiculous bar because they didn't actually have to come up with the money and then everyone else is trying to tag along.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Just my opinion but yes he is. Conversely, I don't think Andrés Iniesta is coaching material even if he is an excellent player. So, as you say, being a good player doesn't necessarily translate into being a good coach but hearing him talk about football makes me think Xavi will be a good coach.
On the low level commentary, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Yeah, maybe. I guess its hard to say really who will succeed and who wont when it comes to coaching. Scholes is another example, he is the most dull and uninsightful and pundit on tv, but he was a legendary playmaker. Unless im mistaken, he just stepped down from his first coaching job? In either case, Its going to be interesting to see if a high "footballing IQ" on the pitch translates well to the role of manager off the pitch. Pirlo is another potentially interesting case, I know he is in the process of aquiring his coaching badge as we speak. I tried reading his book and found it enormously pretentious and vapid. Its like he tries to reduce football to some sort of mysticism at times, rather than try to explain it properly. Even the title is insufferable, "I think therefore I play". I think he is riding on the implicit assumption that some people make, that being a so called "cerebral" player means that you are a cerebral person. I dont think this is necessarily the case.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
It's all somewhat circular though, had PSG not done what they did with Neymar and then Mbappe there is no way Alisson or Kepa or VVD or Dembele or anyone else goes for the money they go for. They set a ridiculous bar because they didn't actually have to come up with the money and then everyone else is trying to tag along.

Yeah that's probably true. I'm still not sure we would be able to fund all those players without significant player sales though

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, maybe. I guess its hard to say really who will succeed and who wont when it comes to coaching. Scholes is another example, he is the most dull and uninsightful and pundit on tv, but he was a legendary playmaker. Unless im mistaken, he just stepped down from his first coaching job? In either case, Its going to be interesting to see if a high "footballing IQ" on the pitch translates well to the role of manager off the pitch. Pirlo is another potentially interesting case, I know he is in the process of aquiring his coaching badge as we speak. I tried reading his book and found it enormously pretentious and vapid. Its like he tries to reduce football to some sort of mysticism sometimes, rather than try to explain it properly. Even the title is insufferable, "I think therefore I play". I think he is riding on the implicit assumption that some people make, that being a so called "cerebral" player means that you are a cerebral person. I dont think this is necessarily the case.
Success depends on many factors and in such a competitive environment is never guaranteed. Sometimes even the most hardworking person might need that moment of pure luck to make a breakthrough that permanently alters their career.
Even then you have coaches like Zidane, Cruyff and others that probably benefited from the experience that playing at the highest level provided. Something that other coaches who were as successful as them could not bank on.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Success depends on many factors and in such a competitive environment is never guaranteed. Sometimes even the most hardworking person might need that moment of pure luck to make a breakthrough that permanently alters their career.
Even then you have coaches like Zidane, Cruyff and others that probably benefited from the experience that playing at the highest level provided. Something that other coaches who were as successful as them could not bank on.
True, but I also think that coaches that were once legendary players probably get way more leeway than other coaches, as their reputation precedes them. In that sense I think they that have a longer leash so to speak, and the clubs and fans around them will probably put up with more. Obviously this doesnt cancel out all the unique circumstances surrounding each individual manager position, but I do think that they have it easier in general.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
True, but I also think that coaches that were once legendary players probably get way more leeway than other coaches, as their reputation precedes them. In that sense I think they that have a longer leash so to speak, and the clubs and fans around them will probably put up with more. Obviously this doesnt cancel out all the unique circumstances surrounding each individual manager position, but I do think that they have it easier in general.
Agreed. Legendary players do have longer leashes. Some of them make terrible coaches like Maradona even if they were incredible players. Whatever leash was given to Maradona it was undeservedly long. But if they don't have what it takes to make a good coach they'll eventually fail.
This doesn't change that coaching a really big club also involves a certain degree of PR and former players are more accustomed to the kind of pressure both the press and the fans will subject them to and are generally, though not always, better prepared to handle them.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, maybe. I guess its hard to say really who will succeed and who wont when it comes to coaching. Scholes is another example, he is the most dull and uninsightful and pundit on tv, but he was a legendary playmaker. Unless im mistaken, he just stepped down from his first coaching job? In either case, Its going to be interesting to see if a high "footballing IQ" on the pitch translates well to the role of manager off the pitch. Pirlo is another potentially interesting case, I know he is in the process of aquiring his coaching badge as we speak. I tried reading his book and found it enormously pretentious and vapid. Its like he tries to reduce football to some sort of mysticism at times, rather than try to explain it properly. Even the title is insufferable, "I think therefore I play". I think he is riding on the implicit assumption that some people make, that being a so called "cerebral" player means that you are a cerebral person. I dont think this is necessarily the case.
I don't think you can say that with absolute certainty. Alex Ferguson is one of the most successful managers in history and that wasn't because of a fluke. Frank Rijkaard was a rookie in comparison even with his experience as a footballer. It depends if you understand how football is played at every facet of the game. Doesn't really matter what position you played in the past.

Cruijff actually understood football tactics. Unlike Pele and Maradona, he was successful as a manager and shaped Barcelona as we know today.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
If Barca were smart they'd get Xavi to manage Messi before he retires.

I really doubt they win the CL again unless they do this

Status
Not open for further replies.