• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not that it would happen but City not competing in the CL next season almost guarantees their winning the league again
That's almost a guarantee regardless. But, it'd also almost guarantee Pep would walk if Juve or PSG offered him enough. That's all he's still at City for; if he's to waste an entire season (probably) repeating his domestic treble, whilst all his immediate rivals play in Europe to lift the trophy he's been missing, purely out of obligation to City, then I've misread his loyalties. He'd walk into either job, still have resources he has now, and a chance to win Big Ears.

Again though, like you said, not that this would happen.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I did think it was a bit rich of them to be singing "you're gonna win fuck all" when Liverpool were going for the league and have a CL coming up, whereas the best that Wolves managed this season is being the least shit club from the midlands
I mean, the fact that you're bothered about the chant days later suggests that it did its job.

I don't think anyone associated with the club is under any illusions that we're world-beaters, but I think a club that was in League 1 not so long ago can be forgiven for being a bit smug that we've finished 7th in the Prem and got within a hair of an FA Cup final, to be fair.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That's almost a guarantee regardless. But, it'd also almost guarantee Pep would walk if Juve or PSG offered him enough. That's all he's still at City for; if he's to waste an entire season (probably) repeating his domestic treble, whilst all his immediate rivals play in Europe to lift the trophy he's been missing, purely out of obligation to City, then I've misread his loyalties. He'd walk into either job, still have resources he has now, and a chance to win Big Ears.

Again though, like you said, not that this would happen.

Radio 5 had a load of city fans on after they won the league, and not one of them chose the CL over the league, they are a club with polar opposites in wishes...

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Radio 5 had a load of city fans on after they won the league, and not one of them chose the CL over the league, they are a club with polar opposites in wishes...
But how many are saying that because they're not in a position to win it? Check out any of their dozens of fans on forums or reddit and they're all talking about needing to Win the CL next year. Like they were doing about this year

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, the fact that you're bothered about the chant days later suggests that it did its job.

I don't think anyone associated with the club is under any illusions that we're world-beaters, but I think a club that was in League 1 not so long ago can be forgiven for being a bit smug that we've finished 7th in the Prem and got within a hair of an FA Cup final, to be fair.

"did its job" ???

Oct 27, 2017
People being uppity about chants will never fail to be utterly laughable.

Wolves entire purpose in the story of the final day was as party poopers. To try and piss on Liverpool's chips, and sounds like they had a bit of fun with it along the way. I honestly can't imagine getting bent out of shape about hearing "Raheem Sterling, he's top of the league".

I think most actual Scousers are used to it, but you can tell online a lot of Liverpool fans do tend to struggle with the concept that a lot of neautrals really don't like them and want them to win fuck all. There's definitely an online element (fuelled by the media and even Klopp directly) who have assumed a high ground over City in this title race that plenty aren't buying by a long shot.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK

I'm not exactly losing sleep about it, just brought it up in context with other posts in here when I got a chance to go over the thread again as I imagine I was probably the only fan who regularly posts in this thread that was at the game

You'd think that Wolves fans would be proud of a decent first season back in the PL - but instead they spent the whole time celebrating City winning and singing "sign on" (again), at the end a load of fans tried kicking off with the Liverpool fans in the stadium too. Is just not a mentality I really understand

Grandia

Dec 13, 2017
Guys guys. Please be nice and stop illegally streaming the pl games. The networks are very very sad and losing lots of money!😥😭

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think that Wolves fans would be proud of a decent first season back in the PL - but instead they spent the whole time celebrating City winning and singing "sign on" (again), at the end a load of fans tried kicking off with the Liverpool fans in the stadium too. Is just not a mentality I really understand
We're extremely proud of our season- in fact, we had a big celebration at Molineux the week before when we sealed seventh. We just knew that we weren't likely to get anything out of the game on Sunday, and it wasn't going to make any difference to the season even if we did, so why not have a bit of fun at the opposition's expense? I know it sucks for you, but it's all part of the give and take- we got plenty of it after the semi-final.

Don't get me started on the sign on stuff, though- it's a real embarrassment. I've talked about this on here before, but it takes it past having fun at the other side's expense towards a nasty bit of gloating about poverty (and aside from anything else, no one who supports a team from Wolverhampton has any right to be doing that).

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No one was chanting about City winning the League to do anything other than get under the Liverpool fans' skin.

Don't get me wrong, we were well-beaten on Sunday, but it was nice that we got to have a little fun along the way.
Oh yeah and don't get me wrong nothing against Wolves, Europa league all but guaranteed if Watford lose. Plus, got you, Leicester or Everton pegged to climb in the top 6 if the summer is unkind to United or Chelsea.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
We're extremely proud of our season- in fact, we had a big celebration at Molineux the week before when we sealed seventh. We just knew that we weren't likely to get anything out of the game on Sunday, and it wasn't going to make any difference to the season even if we did, so why not have a bit of fun at the opposition's expense? I know it sucks for you, but it's all part of the give and take- we got plenty of it after the semi-final.

Don't get me started on the sign on stuff, though- it's a real embarrassment. I've talked about this on here before, but it takes it past having fun at the other side's expense towards a nasty bit of gloating about poverty (and aside from anything else, no one who supports a team from Wolverhampton has any right to be doing that).

Sure, but I don't think you can look at each chant in isolation - there was a nastiness to the chants from Wolves fans which I haven't seen from other ones for a while - it started with "sign on", then various City songs throughout the game, then at the end when the away fans were let out early a load of them kicked off with the Liverpool ones in the Anfield road end instead of just leaving like any other normal match.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
No one was chanting about City winning the League to do anything other than get under the Liverpool fans' skin.

Don't get me wrong, we were well-beaten on Sunday, but it was nice that we got to have a little fun along the way.
The bar we were at had the Liverpool/Wolves game on one of the TVs on our side and there was certainly a period of time where you all looked good to draw level. The time surrounding hitting the crossbar seemed pretty tightly contested. I wasn't paying much attention for most of the game so maybe it was just a relative blip though. Either way, an amazing season.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but I don't think you can look at each chant in isolation - there was a nastiness to the chants from Wolves fans which I haven't seen from other ones for a while - it started with "sign on", then various City songs throughout the game, then at the end when the away fans were let out early a load of them kicked off with the Liverpool ones in the Anfield road end instead of just leaving like any other normal match.
Well, I don't really know what to say, other than I recognize that we have a load of dickheads in our fanbase.

I'd separate out the chants about City from the sign on stuff and the fans kicking off, personally- I think many fanbases might have done what we did in that position for the former, but recognize that some of our fanbase is particularly fond of the latter.

The bar we were at had the Liverpool/Wolves game on one of the TVs on our side and there was certainly a period of time where you all looked good to draw level. The time surrounding hitting the crossbar seemed pretty tightly contested. I wasn't paying much attention for most of the game so maybe it was just a relative blip though. Either way, an amazing season.

Oh yeah, I don't think it was one-sided, and we certainly played our part- as you say, there was a good twenty minutes where we were on top. The day wasn't about us really, though, so we felt satisfied with a bit of shithousing at Liverpool's expense in the stands.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK

Liverpool were the better team by miles up until the goal - then from nowhere our midfield just collapsed and Allison made a couple good saves/catches to prevent Wolves scoring when they probably should have, then Liverpool scored again and it killed off the game

Wolves played well and if we play the same way in the CL final we will lose it, can't get away with those kind of performances against the CL teams especially away from home

Well, I don't really know what to say, other than I recognize that we have a load of dickheads in our fanbase.

I'd separate out the chants about City from the sign on stuff and the fans kicking off, personally- I think many fanbases might have done what we did in that position for the former, but recognize that some of our fanbase is particularly fond of the latter.

I can only really talk about what I saw in the stadium - outside of this match I hadn't any interaction with a Wolves fan beyond occasional messages on here or r/soccer, so this isn't some grudge I finally have an excuse to moan about or something, just that the fans behaviour on Sunday was among the worst I have seen at Anfield. I think we have probably both covered our POV here though so might be best to just leave it at that!

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can only really talk about what I saw in the stadium - outside of this match I hadn't any interaction with a Wolves fan beyond occasional messages on here or r/soccer, so this isn't some grudge I finally have an excuse to moan about or something, just that the fans behaviour on Sunday was among the worst I have seen at Anfield. I think we have probably both covered our POV here though so might be best to just leave it at that!
Totally fair enough. Best of luck for Madrid! :)

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
Another problem with which he had to deal with each season Ronaldo was with his weight. Now he analyzes it from a different perspective: "There are mobilizations for many things, if you are black, if you are gay ... I do not remember anyone defending me when they called me fat, I do not care".
Finally, Ronaldo reveals something more personal. "I had a vasectomy, but I managed to freeze enough sperm to form a football team if my partner wants it," says the former World Champion with Brazil.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terrifying in itself is the highlighted bit, but am I right in taking it from the first half of the quote that he likens being black or gay to bring over weight?

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48095798
pep-guardiola-xi-ddf81a1463b594bcac8b83fd6c9025e5.jpg

Tried to make it varied but thinking about it the best overall would probably just be 2011 Barca + Neuer lmao.

Last edited:

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
---------------Neuer-----------------
Alves - Pique - Puyol - Alaba
----Xavi--Busquets---Iniesta
---Sterling---Messi--Sane--

Abidal at FB was a weakish link on those Barca teams, imo. I do wonder if Xavi and Iniesta, as perfect as they are, are truly better than a de Bruyne or someone slightly more dynamic here. The front 3 has to be built around peak Messi; I think Sterling is an absolutely perfect fit with his verticality and movement.

The last wing position is a coin flip: I can see cases for Villa, Bernardo Silva, Sane, and Robben depending on how you want the team to operate. I went with Sane's supreme athleticism to maximize Messi's playmaking.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Neuer
Alves - Puyol - Boateng - Lahm

Busquets- Iniesta - Xavi

Villa - Messi - Eto'o

Sterling, Silva, KDB all could play in there but tbh its hard to break up that Barca team

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Grealish is a right diving, moaning prick. For that reason, along with the odious John Terry, I hope WBA batter Villa tonight.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
Grealish is a right diving, moaning prick. For that reason, along with the odious John Terry, I hope WBA batter Villa tonight.

According to Villa fans he's just "got the league on strings".

Never seen them manage to explain why even fans of teams he's done fuck all against in a footballing sense think he's a soft prick.

Any time he looks likely to lose the ball he chucks himself into the nearest opposition player and looks towards the referee.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Spanish media reporting Griezmann just told Atlético he's leaving and will likely join Barcelona this summer

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
According to Villa fans he's just "got the league on strings".

Never seen them manage to explain why even fans of teams he's done fuck all against in a footballing sense think he's a soft prick.

Any time he looks likely to lose the ball he chucks himself into the nearest opposition player and looks towards the referee.
Kalvin Phillips had him in his pocket a couple weeks ago. He is a good player but extremely overrated. Superb diver though.

Status
Not open for further replies.