• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Some early reports of Portugal & Spain going for joint bid for the 2030 World Cup.

That'd be pretty awesome. Plus by then the stadiums will have been built/restored by the clubs themselves (similar situation to the UK), so whatever spending there is it'll be on transportation infrastructure (probably).

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Some early reports of Portugal & Spain going for joint bid for the 2030 World Cup.

That'd be pretty awesome. Plus by then the stadiums will have been built/restored by the clubs themselves (similar situation to the UK), so whatever spending there is it'll be on transportation infrastructure (probably).
Hope they get it. Having a tournament not hosted in a Fascist dictatorship would be great, and that's not even talking about Qatar.

Still hope we see a UK & Ireland joint bid one day.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
By now, people should already know that Özil is probably someone who identifies as a Turkish who just happens to have been born in Germany. That the current Tuskish President is a piece of shit is mostly circumstantial. If the president were another kind of (e.g. less dictatorial) populist, Özil would probably do exactly the same.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
They definitely need to sell some players, James, Ceballos, Llorente, Kovacic, maybe Bale, i suspect the big sale could be Isco, i'd take him in a heartbeat with a reasonable price.
We'll take Ceballos, Llorente, and Reguilon on loan with an option to buy in 10 years time that we won't actually activate because we are poor.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
By now, people should already know that Özil is probably someone who identifies as a Turkish who just happens to have been born in Germany. That the current Tuskish President is a piece of shit is mostly circumstantial. If the president were another kind of (e.g. less dictatorial) populist, Özil would probably do exactly the same.
That's fine but being a German Turk doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to kowtow to Erdoğan; see: Emre Can.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
That's fine but being a German Turk doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to kowtow to Erdoğan; see: Emre Can.

There's never a lack of people who will lap up the current leader of their country/region/whatever without taking into account any political ideas, be it Erdogan, Trump or Berlusconi to give some examples.
I'd even say that the number of footballers who have a well meditated political position (no matter if I agree with them or not) are probably a small percentage and most just go with whoever is in power at any given time.
I could be wrong, though. A lot of athletes seem to follow their managers advice of not making their political opinions too clear to avoid "offending" anyone. Therefore, it's often hard to tell whether they are hiding them or they have none whatsoever.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or Real need to sell players to comply with FFP?

They've spent close to 200 million and more to come apparently who can they sell for big money to balance things out?
Florenthanos will sort it out

1559986178_968895_1559986780_album_grande.jpg

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019

There were reports last year that UK were bidding for 2030 as well and would be announcing a bid this summer, hope it's true but no idea if plans have changed.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
There's never a lack of people who will lap up the current leader of their country/region/whatever without taking into account any political ideas, be it Erdogan, Trump or Berlusconi to give some examples.
I'd even say that the number of footballers who have a well meditated political position (no matter if I agree with them or not) are probably a small percentage and most just go with whoever is in power at any given time.
I could be wrong, though. A lot of athletes seem to follow their managers advice of not making their political opinions too clear to avoid "offending" anyone. Therefore, it's often hard to tell whether they are hiding them or they have none whatsoever.
Is this a joke post?

Professional athletes aren't stupid. More importantly, they're supposed to be role models for children, teenagers and young adults. It's one of the reasons Ronaldo gets so much shit. It absolutely sends the wrong signal that you can be successful at life and get away with raping women. What kind of signal does taking a photo with Erdogan send (as best man at your weddig I might add)? It humanizes him.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Hope they get it. Having a tournament not hosted in a Fascist dictatorship would be great, and that's not even talking about Qatar.

Still hope we see a UK & Ireland joint bid one day.

I feel the UK is, currently, in the best position. A lot of their stadiums have been rebuilt recently-ish and the old ones (the big ones I mean) are still very much up to the challenges and requirements from FIFA/UEFA. And they probably have better transportation infrastructure than us as well (trains, metro, more comprehensive bus systems, etc).

There were reports last year that UK were bidding for 2030 as well and would be announcing a bid this summer, hope it's true but no idea if plans have changed.

Time will tell, they probably still have some time until the deadlines. Hopefully the whole Brexit situation won't be an issue for the FA.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Is this a joke post?
No.
There's plenty of examples of athletes lapping up their country's leader even if said leader is a terrible person. I'm not defending Özil's acts, I know stanning for Erdogan is shitty behaviour. I'm purely wondering why people are so surprised that someone who probably considers himself more Turkish than German is siding with the person currently in power in Turkey.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the UK is, currently, in the best position. A lot of their stadiums have been rebuilt recently-ish and the old ones (the big ones I mean) are still very much up to the challenges and requirements from FIFA/UEFA. And they probably have better transportation infrastructure than us as well (trains, metro, more comprehensive bus systems, etc).
Russia used 12 stadia, so going off that and adding for the extended format to go to 16:
  1. Wembley
  2. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
  3. Twickenham
  4. Anfield
  5. Old Trafford
  6. St. James' Park
  7. Olympic Stadium
  8. Murrayfield Stadium
  9. Hampden Park
  10. Celtic Park
  11. Ibrox
  12. Millennium/Principality Stadium
  13. Cardiff City Stadium
  14. Croke Park
  15. Aviva Stadium
  16. Gaelic Grounds [Páirc na nGael]

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Russia used 12 stadia, so going off that and adding for the extended format to go to 16:
  1. Wembley
  3. Twickenham
  4. Anfield
  5. Old Trafford
  6. St. James' Park
  7. Olympic Stadium
  8. Murrayfield Stadium
  9. Hampden Park
  10. Celtic Park
  11. Ibrox
  13. Cardiff City Stadium
  14. Croke Park
  15. Aviva Stadium

Hahahaha I see what you did there

Oct 26, 2017
UK
  1. Wembley
  3. Twickenham
  4. Anfield
  5. Old Trafford
  6. St. James' Park
  7. Olympic Stadium
  8. Murrayfield Stadium
  9. Hampden Park
  10. Celtic Park
  11. Ibrox
  13. Cardiff City Stadium
  14. Croke Park
  15. Aviva Stadium

Why no Emirates?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Great shirt apart from the Kappa logo and the red bits only going half way round the sleeve

Shav1

May 18, 2018
Spain looking like they're gonna lose this match. So much possession but not looking threatening.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Not sure if it's OK to post this here but it doesn't deserve its own thread. However, I know that, at least, Italians, Portuguese and, obviously, Brazilians enjoy futsal.
F.C. Barcelona has won the first playoff match against El Pozo Murcia.
A couple of nice goals in this Twitter thread.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if it's OK to post this here but it doesn't deserve its own thread. However, I know that, at least, Italians, Portuguese and, obviously, Brazilians enjoy futsal.
F.C. Barcelona has won the first playoff match against El Pozo Murcia.
A couple of nice goals in this Twitter thread.

the ball is in one of those macroblocks somewhere. damn.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Spain looking like they're gonna lose this match. So much possession but not looking threatening.
That's Spain pretty much since David Villa left Barça and Torres fell off. Costa/Morata/Alcácer just aren't/haven't been that talismanic poacher they've been missing.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Leyton Orient boss Edinburgh dies aged 49
Leyton Orient manager Justin Edinburgh has died at the age of 49. The former Tottenham, Portsmouth and Southend player was taken to hospital on Monday after a cardiac arrest. and died six days later. "We are completely heartbroken by this tragedy," Orient chairman Nigel Travis told the club website. Edinburgh, who won the FA Cup with Spurs, led Orient to the National League title this season as well as to the FA Trophy final. He had previously managed Northampton Town, Gillingham and Newport County. "All our thoughts and love are with the Edinburgh family and we know from the messages that have flooded into the club over the last week that the wider football world will share our sentiments," Travis added. "The success that Justin brought to Leyton Orient was incredible, but more importantly the impact he had on us all as a winner and a wonderful, inspirational human being will be his legacy and will stay with us forever."
Got a couple of mates who have Orient season tickets, this must be so devastating after such an amazing season coming first in the National League.

Shav1

May 18, 2018
That's Spain pretty much since David Villa left Barça and Torres fell off. Costa/Morata/Alcácer just aren't/haven't been that talismanic poacher they've been missing.
No I meant the women's team. They were playing against South Africa in the group stages. They ended up winning 3-1 though with two penalties.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
No I meant the women's team. They were playing against South Africa in the group stages. They ended up winning 3-1 though with two penalties.
Fair enough, thought it was some Euro qualifier. I want to watch the WC but I'm kinda burnt out on football right now.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
I feel weird. FIFA 20 kinda interests me this year. I like the addition of Volta and the changes to penalties and free kicks.

Shav1

May 18, 2018
I feel weird. FIFA 20 kinda interests me this year. I like the addition of Volta and the changes to penalties and free kicks.
Yeah those two things are the only interesting parts to me tbh. The other features they were mentioning just seems like they mention them every other year (ball physics, new defending and attacking moves, intelligence blah blah...).

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
While Volta sounds interesting in theory I'm afraid is just the new marketing gimmick to sell this year's FIFA. Like Journey for 17 or the new kick-off modes last year. You could already see that the gameplay is quite the same even in those several seconds they shown. I liked how they adding a new dribbling system although skill spamming is already a big issue this year.

Anyhow, I will not technically buying it since I have premier.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Di Marzio saying we're in again for Gómez and want Lobotka too for €60m

A 24 year old CM and a 22 year old striker, that would be bang on our needs ...Therefore it absolutely will not happen

Status
Not open for further replies.