FootyEra 19/20 Season |OT| This is the place where we hate/love VAR

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
He can be pretty clutch, but not convinced by Juve. Dunno if they can get past the likes of Liverpool, PSG or City. Think they’ll go out in like the semi-finals.
Juventus' form is often extremely hard to pinpoint. Serie A is nothing like the UCL, and this has been one of Juventus' strengths and weaknesses alike. They've been playing a lot of not-too-convincing matches in the championship against smaller teams, but then made extremely strong perfromances against Napoli (the first time around, not yesterday), Inter, Roma, and so on. Points-wise they're only narrowly behind where they were last year at this point. In UCL they got 16 points in a group with Atletico and Bayer - not a hell group but definitely a great performance, especially considering that the only draw they got was a 2-0 win against Atletico they threw away with two individual defensive errors in the last minutes.

Their attackers are in a great form, yesterday's match didn't go well but for Napoli it was an "end of the line" match, not so much for Juventus. At San Paolo Juventus didn't win a whole lot these past years despite winning 8 consecutive titles. Allegri's Juventus also had tons of 1-0s and 2-1s like Sarri this year. Again, it's very hard to put Sarri's Juventus on the map so far. The championship form is slightly under last year's (but a lot better than Allegri's second year for example), they lost the Supercup (they won some of those and lost others), they advanced in a convincing manner in the national cup so far (many wins the past years), their European campaign so far has been stellar. It's also Sarri's first year so it's clear that a lot of things are still WIP.

Looking at the teams right now, I think we have a great, great UCL ahead of us. I didn't see a single unbeatable team, really. Barca, Real, Atletico, Bayern, Borussia, City, PSG, Juventus... they all seem capable of excellent matches only to then disappoint in others. Various "smaller" teams like Lyon, Napoli and Atalanta that seem to have it in them to fight against any team if they tackle the match right. Liverpool is doing a near perfect run at home but they were a bit less convincing in Europe. Tottenham fell apart, Chelsea nothing too exciting. I'm probably biased but I don't really see many teams that are necessarily ahead of Juventus right now. Perhaps only Liverpool as a whole team at the moment, and even they crashed into Napoli pretty hard this season (just like Juventus last night).

Oct 27, 2018
Yesterday I noticed one of the games in the Champions League round of sixteen is Atalanta (5th in Serie A) versus Valencia (7th in La Liga). Whoever draws the winner of that tie has basically got a free pass to the semi-finals.

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
Well, my impression was that he had been questioned for his bad form, mistakes, and for having bad physical shape for the intensity that his position needed, that he had been touted as an improvement over Chiellini but that this had not been the case.
He made a couple of mistakes in the first matches, but he's been really solid since mid October i'd say, he was benched for 5-6 games 'cause he picked up a shoulder injury and we have the luxury of having someone as good as Demiral on the bench.

Is he already an improvement over the best Chiellini? probably not, but there's no doubt in my mind that everyone at the club is happy about his performances so far.

Go look up his match against Atleti in Turin, he saved us multiple times in that game.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I noticed one of the games in the Champions League round of sixteen is Atalanta (5th in Serie A) versus Valencia (7th in La Liga). Whoever draws the winner of that tie has basically got a free pass to the semi-finals.
That same Valencia who just beat Barca 2-0 and drew 1-1 with Madrid?

Valencia will be rather tricky opponents. I wouldn't bet on them to win CL but they could definitely knock out anyone else over two legs.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
Don’t you mean half of Man United? Haha
That true. Lukaku, Young and Sanchez from Man United (although the latter is on loan). Moses from Chelsea. Lazaro from Newcastle. Now Eriksen from Totenham. Conte didn't stay long in the PL but he sure set his eyes on a lot of players, with some who are performing way better than they were (see Lukaku, a whole new player basically).

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
He made a couple of mistakes in the first matches, but he's been really solid since mid October i'd say, he was benched for 5-6 games 'cause he picked up a shoulder injury and we have the luxury of having someone as good as Demiral on the bench.

Is he already an improvement over the best Chiellini? probably not, but there's no doubt in my mind that everyone at the club is happy about his performances so far.

Go look up his match against Atleti in Turin, he saved us multiple times in that game.
I see, I hadn't been following the team all that much.
That same Valencia who just beat Barca 2-0 and drew 1-1 with Madrid?

Valencia will be rather tricky opponents. I wouldn't bet on them to win CL but they could definitely knock out anyone else over two legs.
Yeah, and the same Valencia who beat Ajax and put them out of the Champions League when everyone assumed Ajax would be first in the group phase and Valencia and Chelsea would have to fight for scraps. Underestimating Valencia has been a big mistake this season so far.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty funny that Mou gets a winger who can't score. I wonder if he wanted Bergwijn or the board just picked random players as attacking options to replace Eriksen/Kane. Hopefully he won't end up as Depay at Utd.

Vault

Oct 25, 2017
The Ronaldo effect. Bigger TV fees, bigger sponsor money, more people at the stadiums, higher ticket prices because they can sell 'em anyway, better chances of grabbing quality players from other leagues... the entire league benefited big time from CR7's arrival.
Tax breaks are the main reason players are moving to Italy again.