• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain, Portugal and Holland have that weird ass thing were they have a lot of candy etc that has racist imagery.

Then you have France that has that weird thing with skin colour.

Add that to the rise of racism all over Europe, something needs to be done.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Spain, Portugal and Holland have that weird ass thing were they have a lot of candy etc that has racist imagery.

Then you have France that has that weird thing with skin colour.

Add that to the rise of racism all over Europe, something needs to be done.
Mexico has the same problem. We have that racist Memin Pinquin comic.

200px-Memin_pinguin_comic.jpg

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason it gives me a good feeling to know that Sergio Ramos is very pissed to see another defender win. Something we wants and never will get.

EDIT: Messi.... lololololol please fuck off

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't they just call it "we give awards to dudes from Real and Barca, plus a couple guys in other championships to look fair". What the fuck.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Of all the years for Messi to win, this wasn't it lol

Both VVD and Ronaldo won more collective awards and ended up being more consistent across club and country through the season.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Only agree 100% with the keeper's selection.

I'd replace Ramos and Marcelo with Alexander-Arnold and Dani Alves (mostly for his Brazil showings tbh) in the backline.
I'd replace Hazard and Modric with Bernardo Silva and Kanté in the midfield.
I'd replace Mbappe (he made a big mistake in going to/staying at PSG, his progression has stopped IMO) with Mané or Sterling (happy with either).

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Lol Messi... if not VVD it should have at least been Ronnie for winning the Serie A and Nations League

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Giving Messi the award for best footballer is now a 'joke'. With Messi Barca were La Liga champions and a mite unlucky not to win at least one other trophy and without him... they're 8th.

So yeah he's still good IMO.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Giving Messi the award for best footballer is now a 'joke'. With Messi Barca were La Liga champions and a mite unlucky not to win at least one other trophy and without him... they're 8th.

So yeah he's still good IMO.

It's not that he is a joke, no one is questioning his ability or worth.

But for his own standards it was a fairly soft season for him (along with a poor-ish Copa America and poor start of the season in the few minutes he has played so far). Both VVD and Ronaldo won more trophies or more important trophies (CL) and were, IMO, far more consistent at the club and national team levels.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017

It's between VVD and Messi. I've said it before but I'd be okay with either winning these awards.

Yeah, seriously, look at those stats. Messi is a perfectly deserving winner. I like Van Dijk and wouldn't have had a problem winning it, but scoring 50 goals while being your team's main creator should be appreciated.

I think Ronaldo's and Messi's historic, sustained goalscoring excellence makes people overlook just how valuable to score this frequently.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How the fuck did Ramos and Marcelo make the list? And how does it make sense to put 3 fucking center-backs?

Hope VVD wins it, he had Messi/Ronaldo impact but at the back.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow this is controversial here, lmfao. Those are not normal numbers for any player, ever.

Someone said it best when they said that Messi did what Messi always did and that is be absolutely fantastic, but he did not elevate the team to any new heights. Their ultimate goal was not achieved and he did not achieve anything for his country.

Both Virgil and Ronaldo achieved massively for club and country.

Stats are one thing, accomplishments is another. Van dijk put up insane stats while taking both his club and country to new heights.
He was the deserved winner.

But hey, kinda glad Messi won this, I doubt he is going to win the Balon dor now.

Last edited:

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

It's between VVD and Messi. I've said it before but I'd be okay with either winning these awards.

I think what sucks here is that similar "impactful" numbers cannot possibly be had for a defender, and therefore Van Dijk never had a chance against Messi or Ronaldo, although arguable he was more impactful leading Liverpool defensively to win the champs league. In the end, Messi failed to win the champs league, copa America and copa del Rey.

Also, as a huge Real Madrid fan, even I find it laughable Modric, ramos and Marcelo made that best XI list. What a joke, they were terrible last year.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think what sucks here is that similar "impactful" numbers cannot possibly be had for a defender, and therefore Van Dijk never had a chance against Messi or Ronaldo, although arguable he was more impactful leading Liverpool defensively to win the champs league. In the end, Messi failed to win the champs league, copa America and copa del Rey.

Also, as a huge Real Madrid fan, even I find it laughable Modric, ramos and Marcelo made that best XI list. What a joke, they were terrible last year.
Yeah, it was quite a miracle that Cannavaro won the Ballon d'Or in 2006. Well, he won the World Cup but as a defender, it's a huge achievement which probably won't be replicated in a very long time.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool close to a record kit deal with Nike. New Balance is now taking the team to court because apparently they say they have the right to match the deal and LFC is saying no

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Got my EL ticket for the match against the Gunners in late October! ✅

Massive disappointment here I come! Also London I guess...

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool close to a record kit deal with Nike. New Balance is now taking the team to court because apparently they say they have the right to match the deal and LFC is saying no

I don't get it, if NB can match the deal why should Liverpool be rejecting it? What's so great about Nike that they wanna run into there arms.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I don't get it, if NB can match the deal why should Liverpool be rejecting it? What's so great about Nike that they wanna run into there arms.
Marketing. Certain brands have more appeal/emotional impact than others, Nike and Adidas are among them. Liverpool want a piece of that pie as well, as it would likely lead to an increase in shirts sales (and other material as well) even if the designs/quality are similar or worse.

It doesn't make sense but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.