• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I feel kinda bad for Ole. He's out of his depth, but that isn't his fault, really, and he isn't the main problem. It's almost incomprehensible that United have spent as much money as they have over the past six years and ended up with this squad as the result.
It truly is a stunning work of art.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What if Klopp went to Disneyland instead of Liverpool? Would we still be getting the comedy show we are getting now?

I think the club is probably rotten top to almost bottom. Woodward cares about sponsors and money more than anything, who on earth would green light the contract extensions of that shower of shit when you probably couldn't sell them
If you tried. Either the managers are at fault or Woodward is forcing it on them by doing it himself or not giving the manager other options by not moving them on and replacing them. I also think that class of 92 or whatever year it was needs burst and the whole club needs restructured around a philosophy that isn't just hollow attack attack with coaches, trainers, tacticians who know what they are doing, overseeing to youth to first team, new signings etc. director of football if needs be. Players need a kick up the arse and sold quite frankly, screw this can't do it over a season, these guys are coasting, pissing about and getting rewarded with even better contracts and have long run out of chances. Ole might not be great but you don't play that shit because of him, it's you.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
With a lot of Pro-Hong Kong / Anti-Chinese government protests going on with Blizzard, South Park, and the NBA. I'm curious to see how UEFA will handle these kinds of protests, especially with Chinese investors financing some of the top tier teams (i.e. Wolverhampton and AC Milan)

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
With a lot of Pro-Hong Kong / Anti-Chinese government protests going on with Blizzard, South Park, and the NBA. I'm curious to see how UEFA will handle these kinds of protests, especially with Chinese investors financing some of the top tier teams (i.e. Wolverhampton and AC Milan)

giphy.gif

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Hey there, Liverpool fan. Was on Gaf back in the day but after the expulsion of that thread, never bothered to join again.

Hope Ole sticks around for years to come.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I would find it both hillarious and horrific at the same time if they panicked and got Wenger in

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Not that I want Wenger in, but I think Wenger absolutely would've prevented what happened over the past few years. He's obsessed with aging curves: bring in young players, don't give huge contracts to old players, don't pay huge fees to old players, sell at peaks of value.

By far the highest-leverage mistake United have made bringing is ignoring aging curves. They bring in a bunch of players who are either at peak or post-peak, put them on massive wages, then, in two years, when they need to be replaced, they have zero (or, frequently, negative) asset value, so you bring in another 29-year-old to age out. (Or, your comfortably post-peak player is about to have his contract expire, and you're so terrified of negative PR that you pay him triple his on-field value on a five-year contract.) That's the only way possible that this much can be spent with this return.

You can basically click buttons at random in buying decent young players and still end up OK. Martial hasn't been particularly successful for United and they could still easily bring in the same fee they paid for him.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It'a a shame what happened to AC Milan. I still remember when van Basten played there and who could forget that night in Istanbul?

Pioli will be the tenth manager in 5 years. If they don't reach top 4 soon they will be forced to sell their players to pay off their debts. If I had to make a bet their fate is already sealed.

Oct 25, 2017
Thought I opened the wrong thread for a second. Whatever makes him happy I guess. This clearly isn't a move motivated by money.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
It'a a shame what happened to AC Milan. I still remember when van Basten played there and who could forget that night in Istanbul?

Pioli will be the tenth manager in 5 years. If they don't reach top 4 soon they will be forced to sell their players to pay off their debts. If I had to make a bet their fate is already sealed.

The sad part is that they were so close to top 4 last season as well. At this rate they are back to where they started before Gattuso got there. In fact it's worse. I wouldn't be surprised if many players like Suso, Piatek, Romagnoli and Donnarumma will end up leaving by January or next summer.

Feels like they will flounder for a while, whereas Inter will fight their way through Napoli and Juventus with Conte in charge.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue with Milan is that they still lack an actual project that makes sense, and when they do have a somewhat promising project they also have no faith in it and switch it up for something else in a matter of months. Juventus got back from the abyss when they invested in a stadium, they introduced a salary cap, they concentrated on getting young talented players alongside older, more experienced and yet cheap players who are not that technical but are big on teamplay (see Bonucci or Barzagli, the latter cost 300k Euros or so and became the best defender in Italy for years). Milan is simply busy trying to get collectible cards, names like Balotelli, Piatek and whatnot that will sell more tickets, but doesn't solve the defense issues or the mentality. Then of course they get a manager, get him random players, he's struggling for some matches or half a season and bam, you're left home. Not that Giampaolo has a good track record prior to Milan, but if you truly believed in his project and he wasn't plan Z or something they should have gave him a season or two to prove what he can extract from these players, to see by Winter and next Summer where they should intervein to fix the team's issues.

But no, the team is a fucking mess. They have debts up the ass, they buy players without any reason or rhyme, give the old guard pharaonic wages (what they did to keep Donnarumma is comical, they had to hire half of his family in one way or another to assure he stays lmao), then go for inexperienced managers who then don't even get a full season to correct the course of the previous messy cycle. At this rate the team's current leadership will have to step off before any results arrive, and Milan risks going practically a decade in which they occasionally go into UCL or UEL but at no point have a shot for the scudetto - a far cry from what Milan used to be. And as a Juventus supporter it sucks that, year after year, it's been a battle against teams with little winning history like Napoli or Roma, with all due respect. Having a competitive Milan and Inter would render the championships even more impressive. Inter seems to be on the right course, although so far they were going with the enthusiasm of winning nearly every match against easy teams, after which they scored a whopping one point in the 3 most important matches of the season so far (the 2 UCL trips and Juventus in Serie A), so we'll see how they'll manage a potential crisis. But hopefully Milan gets back at the very least to these levels too, because I genuinely feel sorry for the better side of Milan supporters who used to watch UCL finals every other year, and now it's a major party if they somehow get a top 4 finish in the Serie A and don't get eliminated in the group phase of the UCL or UEL.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Northern Ireland shitting the bed big time. Shame.

Weirdly enough, Netherlands qualifying for European championship instead of northern Ireland is actually a country that hasn't qualified for an tournament in some time getting in over a country that did qualify last time (and also did way better in the world championship qualifying). Netherlands were just utter shit last couple of qualifications.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Glad we still got the win against Northern Ireland, but holy hell that was extremely bad, especially the first half. Also, since Koeman has been our coach we've gone down 1-0 in 12 out of 17 matches so that's definitely something which needs fixing. You might be able to recover from going 1-0 against countries such as Northern Ireland or even a poorly performing Germany, but if you go down against a world class team you're fucked 90% of the time. And yeah, I think it's time to bench De Ligt in favor of De Vrij. Since his move to Juventus he has simply made too many mistake and another double mistake from him plus poor defending from Blind as well cost us the goal today.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I have a deep suspicion that Southgate isn't a particularly good manager. Think the World Cup run was mostly down to an incredible run of set piece goals and a favorable draw, and they really did not create from open play for long stretches, much as they are not doing tonight.

(Kane turning into a pumpkin over the past 12 months hasn't helped either)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I have a deep suspicion that Southgate isn't a particularly good manager. Think the World Cup run was mostly down to an incredible run of set piece goals and a favorable draw, and they really did not create from open play for long stretches, much as they are not doing tonight.

Rebekah Vardy is a better liar than Southgate is a manager.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I know it was against Luxembourg but damn, that Ronaldo goal was buttery smooth. 1 away from reaching 700 total in his career, which is quite something too.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017

England only won 2 of 6 WC games in normal play (one on pens), everyone just caught up in the hype.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey there, Liverpool fan. Was on Gaf back in the day but after the expulsion of that thread, never bothered to join again.

Hope Ole sticks around for years to come.
I think the biggest issue for United is Woodward. How the fuck can anyone be excused to spends hundreds of millions of euros for 6 years and have this type of team present? He is legitimately the shittiest transfer guru on the planet.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
That England performance was something.
The whole setup was completely wrong but the performances were absolutely dire. It feels like the competitive nature of the PL has completely overridden the desire for any of the players to actually work together lol. There was no communication outside of players screaming at each other after bad passes etc. It's very hard for me to care about England at the best of times but that was absolutely embarrassing. A harder group and England would really struggle to qualify, even under the new rules

Status
Not open for further replies.