• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how supportive I've been of VAR in the past but as this season has gone on I've just been disliking it more and more. And now I'm at the point where I consider it a complete joke. It's not helping the game overall.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
So happy for Dortmund. Also highly recommend (to those that speak German), as usual with Dortmund, their net radio. Not the best one, that is (or at least used to be) St. Pauli, but it's fun to listen to their reactions nonetheless.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Libertadores final moved from Chile to Perú.

Conmebol is a joke, they confirmed that Santiago would get it a few times, even though since the beginning noone was sure that Chile would be in condition of hosting the event... now thousands of supporters already bought the extremely expensive flight tickets to Chile and for sure won't have their money back and will need to spend another fortune to go to Lima. Ofc Conmebol will not offer any help to anyone involved.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
So happy for Dortmund. Also highly recommend (to those that speak German), as usual with Dortmund, their net radio. Not the best one, that is (or at least used to be) St. Pauli, but it's fun to listen to their reactions nonetheless.

Main news sources I get for Dortmund and BuLi football are from The Athletic (especially Raphael Honigstein) and The Yellow Wall podcast. St. Pauli is a great club too considering their staunch left-wing ties; punk scene is sehr gut also.

Shav1

May 18, 2018
Just seeing the highlights for the Chelsea - Ajax match. Oh boy that ref is shit. Blind shouldn't have been sent off. Feel for Ajax.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Just seeing the highlights for the Chelsea - Ajax match. Oh boy that ref is shit. Blind shouldn't have been sent off. Feel for Ajax.
I have no idea if the first yellow was legit or not, but that 2nd one is pretty cut and dry. Not sure what is there to debate. His tackle on Abraham is late and he only touches the player.

That said, that whole sequence is crazy. Ajax suffers a quadruple penalty in a single play: 2 red cards + 1 penalty + 1 goal. The ref messed up there, but I feel that yellow on Blind (in that play) is perfectly reasonable. The rest (the actual penalty and respective yellow to the other defender) is pretty damn questionable though. I would have never called a pen there, the ball isn't going through even if it doesnt hit his arm, his body is in the way...

FIFA needs to do with this rule of it always being a foul when the ball touches an arm/hand in the box .

Last edited:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
It's funny how supportive I've been of VAR in the past but as this season has gone on I've just been disliking it more and more. And now I'm at the point where I consider it a complete joke. It's not helping the game overall.
I'd actually like to see the numbers on how many times it's been used and given something that absolutely should be given but was missed, against failed to spot something or gave something everyone agrees was shit.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Same here, I now think VAR should be paused and re-thought from top to bottom. It does amaze me that top refs can watch footage over and over, from many angles and in slow-mo and still get it wrong, yet almost every fan could get it right in half the time.

I don't think it should return until they re-do the handball rules, which they've completely trashed.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Same here, I now think VAR should be paused and re-thought from top to bottom. It does amaze me that top refs can watch footage over and over, from many angles and in slow-mo and still get it wrong, yet almost every fan could get it right in half the time.

I don't think it should return until they re-do the handball rules, which they've completely trashed.
It's a lot different being in the pitch, witht he immense pressure of making the decision (the right decision at that) on the spot and doing so from the confort of the stand or your home.

I can imagine that the many angles might even make them second guess themselves and create more doubts sometimes.

The VAR decision should be like rugby, made by the VAR refs, who aren't in that pressure spot and thus should, in theory, be able to be far more impartial and less error prone. The ref on the pitch should then default to their call when and wherever it's made.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Its sometimes. Some dirty stuff can be called out due to it.

But 1mm offside or other nigh impossible to judge situations? You can replay footage a 100 times, you'll start to see things anyway. It takes the pace out of the game and ruins stuff. Not to mention celebrations, i'm never certain after a goal is scored today.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that refs are still human beings.

The issues the leagues that had VAR for a while is that if a VAR assists the referee, it signifies the ref didn't see it and made a mistake. And seeing the ref and VAR know each other because they're all refs, the system has a level of conflict of interest. They want to make refereeing as objective as possible, but they don't want to hurt their fellow ref's feelings.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The problem is that refs are still human beings.

The issues the leagues that had VAR for a while is that if a VAR assists the referee, it signifies the ref didn't see it and made a mistake. And seeing the ref and VAR know each other because they're all refs, the system has a level of conflict of interest. They want to make refereeing as objective as possible, but they don't want to hurt their fellow ref's feelings.
On that note, that refs are humans and taking into consideration the current setup (the main ref can overturn any and all VAR decisions/opinions), if a ref wants to be a corrupt fuck or mess with some player/team for no particular reason, there is jack shit the VAR can do.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its sometimes. Some dirty stuff can be called out due to it.

But 1mm offside or other nigh impossible to judge situations? You can replay footage a 100 times, you'll start to see things anyway. It takes the pace out of the game and ruins stuff. Not to mention celebrations, i'm never certain after a goal is scored today.

This my problem with VAR, offsides that are MM is absurd, attackers should get the benefit of doubt in that regard to the point of being quite clear cut like half you torso in front not your knee hair.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Most wrong ref decisions got shrugged away before VAR, since "it's part of football" and happens all the time and also nobody could do something about them/revert them.

Now every wrong VAR decision is way more visible and heavily discussed.
Still, there are more right decisions which get correctected because of VAR then ones who are wrong so it's still a plus having it (imo).

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
This my problem with VAR, offsides that are MM is absurd, attackers should get the benefit of doubt in that regard to the point of being quite clear cut like half you torso in front not your knee hair.
Indeed. Nobody should be able to be a nipple offside.

If you can't look at a freeze frame and just say "yep that's OFFSIDE 100%" then it's not offside. That's MORE than accurate enough.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The VAR decision should be like rugby, made by the VAR refs, who aren't in that pressure spot and thus should, in theory, be able to be far more impartial and less error prone. The ref on the pitch should then default to their call when and wherever it's made.

This. And VAR should be able to judge the situation in full not just the one specific action. Like in rugby, if there was an uncalled foul at any point during the action that lead to a goal or a penalty or a red card that should not be ignored just because the referee didn't see it.

And the handball rule must be changed again because right now it's utterly stupid. It makes shooting at the arms of the other team more rewarding than shooting at the goal.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Wait, why are Arsenal playing an EL match on a Wednesday afternoon?
Because the local police decide to use these matches as leverage to claim more money and more men and thus refuse to schedule two matches in 50km radius on the same day/night. Obviously they picked the most media impactful ones too.
Bunch of dicks that screwed us over, basically.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Good for Vitoria and RocknRola . One more game of Emery.

giphy.gif

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So Ramsey scored....RIP random celebrity, you shall be missed.

----------

Btw this was a lovely moment before the start of the match :)

Shav1

May 18, 2018
Nah, not him. It's Veltman (hope I wrote that right) who does the "handball" business. In truth the ball hits his hand/arm, which is as humanly close to his torso as can be, so that one is messed up IMO.
Nah, not him. It's Veltman (hope I wrote that right) who does the "handball" business. In truth the ball hits his hand/arm, which is as humanly close to his torso as can be, so that one is messed up IMO.
Yh i watched it again and saw. Very harsh.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
Lol
As a brazilian, i can confirm that Rodrygo always had much more potential than Vinicius
Vinicius needs to improve a LOT in some areas

Vinicius has an okay dribble and speed, his finishing, passing and overall decision making is poor. He is the Brazilian Theo Walcott.

Rodrygo seems like the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.