• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Virgil+van+Dijk+Tottenham+Hotspur+v+Liverpool+fKnAYMET5wIl.jpg

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Cristiano's sister didn't take van Dijk's joke well. 😂😭

To be fair, it was the media who made a circus out of a damn joke. As soon as I read the title and knowing how VVD usually speaks I knew something wasn't right with the way certain news/articles were describing it (Marca in particular shared it in the most obviously wrong way possible).

And sure enough, when you watch it there is no two ways about it: it's a damn joke. Literally.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
After seeing 3 premier league managers sacked in the past week, I couldnt wait to see who would be next to go due to poor performances.

However, the most bizarre sacking just happened in the German 4th division, FC Saarbrucken just sacked their manager despite being top of the league with 15 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses. They went on a run of 13 consecutive wins including a win over FC Koln in the German cup. The board sacked the manager as they "saw their promotion prospects in danger" after losing 2 games in their last 5 matches (they won the other 3).

This got me wondering if there were any other managers you can think of who were sacked despite being top of the league. I can think of a few that were sacked after winning the league, Laurent Blanc got the hoof from PSG after winning a domestic treble in 2015-16, but I cant think of another sacked mid-season while being top.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After seeing 3 premier league managers sacked in the past week, I couldnt wait to see who would be next to go due to poor performances.

However, the most bizarre sacking just happened in the German 4th division, FC Saarbrucken just sacked their manager despite being top of the league with 15 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses. They went on a run of 13 consecutive wins including a win over FC Koln in the German cup. The board sacked the manager as they "saw their promotion prospects in danger" after losing 2 games in their last 5 matches (they won the other 3).

This got me wondering if there were any other managers you can think of who were sacked despite being top of the league. I can think of a few that were sacked after winning the league, Laurent Blanc got the hoof from PSG after winning a domestic treble in 2015-16, but I cant think of another sacked mid-season while being top.

Not mid-season but Allegri just got sacked this last summer (he still had a contract so it didn't expire) despite winning Serie A for the 8th consecutive time, 5 of which were his doing.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, of course goals are "more important" strictly speaking, but one could argue that a defender that stops multiple dangerous opportunities per match (or a keeper saving their team from screamer goals) is equally as important. You win a match by outscoring your opponent, you can do that by winning 6-5 and 1-0 alike.

I don't mean that goals scored are more important than goals prevented. I mean that elite forwards have a much greater impact on goals scored than defenders do on goals prevented. There's more variance in attack quality than on defensive quality. This seems to be true across most sports; attacking is creative and proactive while defending is fundamentally reactive and limited by what your opposition does. The best NBA offensive players make about a 9-point impact; the best defensive players are +5. The best NFL QBs are about +7, while the best defensive players are +2.

Messi is one of the best football players ever. This is not being debated, this is fact. It's also fact that he and the teams he was in in the past 12 months have underachieved big time, including quite a debacle against Liverpool where they threw away a 3 goal lead. It would be wrong to claim it was only because of Messi, but those things gotta count for something.

Or: he's playing for a thoroughly mediocre Barcelona team who he dragged to a La Liga title and the CL semifinals. He was by a good margin the best player in the Liverpool tie over the two legs. Liverpool dominated the run of play, and Messi still almost created enough single-handedly to pull them through.

Higuain at Napoli managed to score 36 goals in 35 matches a couple years ago, in a championship with tough defenses like Serie A, and he was barely considered. When Inter won the Champions League and Netherlands reached the finals in the world cup, Messi won it instead despite everything. Juventus' defenders allowed them all kinds of records in Europe, among other things a season with only wins and draws.

Team trophies are team trophies. You already get a prize for that: it's winning the competition. Would anybody in the world take two-years-ago Higuain over two-years-ago Messi on their team? Like, good for Higuain, he had a great season, but Messi pairs that level of scoring rate with incredible passing and dribbling as well. Messi is better, thus he wins the award. Has nothing to do with his name and everything to do with him simply being a better, more valuable player.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Kombouaré at PSG in 2011. Qatar had just arrived in October and they sacked him during the winter break despite PSG being 1st. They ended up wit Ancelotti and lost out on the title in favor of Montpellier.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017

Always thought Chelsea giving Di Matteo the boot after he just won them the Champion's League and FA Cup was a shitty move. He wasn't even there a year. Sure, they were about to go out of the new CL at the group stage, but he just won them the damn thing, give him some time!

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Hi FootyERA, Recently moved to the US and looking to find the best way to watch the English Premier League. Mostly care about Liverpool.
Don't have cable and not really interested in a 50 dollar a month sub.

Is the NBC Gold Premier League pass good? Had a FuboTV trial but didnt think much of it and the normal price per month is too high.
Seems that if I want Champions League, the Cups, and the league I need to get a bunch of subscriptions.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Hi FootyERA, Recently moved to the US and looking to find the best way to watch the English Premier League. Mostly care about Liverpool.

Is the NBC Gold Premier League pass good? Had a FuboTV trial but didnt think much of it and the normal price per month is too high.
Seems that if I want Champions League, the Cups, and the league I need to get a bunch of subscriptions.

Unfortunately yea, you need a bunch of subscriptions if you want all those. I use cable so I couldn't tell you about the quality of each streaming service but I've heard a lot of complaints about NBC Gold, mostly that they don't show every match. The only other option would be to get a Spanish package, as Premier League can be watched on Telemundo and Universo and Champions League can be watched on Univision, Unimas, and TUDN. But again, you don't get every match.

From a quick search, seems like your best bet in terms of price would be NBC Gold + BR Live + ESPN+ for Premier League, Champions League, and Cups respectively.

Edit: Didn't realize NBC Gold didn't have matches if they're being shown on TV. Lol wow.

Last edited:

psyer

Oct 27, 2017
NBC Sports Premier League Gold will not be good enough if you only care Liverpool unless you want to watch most of their matches on replay.

Premier League are on NBCSN with some matches on NBC. The matches on Gold are the Premier League matches that are not aired on TV, which Liverpool are usually aired on TV.

Champions League is on TNT and B/R Live. For Spanish, Univision family of network.

FA Cup and Carabao Cup is on ESPN+.

Club World Cup is on FOX Sports.

To be able to watch most of Liverpool matches, you will need to pay for cable or something like YoutubeTV or know someone with cable and use their account.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

When looking to enjoy some footy, make sure to have a bite to eat to be a happy man.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the insight guys. Very helpful. I can live without the cups. Will see what the cheapest tv package that has NBCSN and TNT. Probably something like sling?

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame because for a little bit there, you could watch every game with just a channel subscription and online wit NBC Sports. It was great. Then NBC stuck it behind an additional subscription (GOLD) without having every game available.

There are now no good options, except for the obvious.

Liverpool are on the main channels quite a bit though, so having NBCSN would probably be ok.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Resolution is skipping all over the place. Currently have 25mps.

I'm on the UHD stream but no way is at 4k

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The amazon streaming quality is fucking awful

I'm gonna swap apps and see if it fixes it

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
The UI is 4K at least on Prime, not sure of the actual game but I bet its 1080p. For their first game I'm blown away, and on a TV app no less, not a standalone box. Watching the MC game now and it's just as good as the first one.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The UI is 4K at least on Prime, not sure of the actual game but I bet its 1080p. For their first game I'm blown away, and on a TV app no less, not a standalone box. Watching the MC game now and it's just as good as the first one.
Hopefully this is the future, I cba with games being on 10 different services

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I can get student prime, but then I'd be contributing to Jeff Bezos owning pretty much the whole world.

And it doesn't seem to be every game anyway.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

"He's a very good player," Klopp said at Melwood ahead of the Merseyside derby, before adding: "I have no clue where these kind of things [the rumours] are coming from, but it cannot come from us because we never speak about it.

"If we would be involved, nobody would know about it apart from a person who wouldn't speak about it. There's nothing to say. I know how it sounds, but I cannot change that. There's nothing to say about it, which can mean there's absolutely nothing to say about it."

Status
Not open for further replies.