• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
I assume Arsenal vs. Brighton is cancelled now (it better be). Heck, just suspend the league already. Who knows how many other teams this has spread to.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
British authorities' reaction to this whole crisis is beyond ridiculous, including this decision regarding PL.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
ES8XWSgX0AAN_rS

State of it

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
I feel like the leagues absolutely have to be voided now as opposed to postponements. Too many players and coaches have got the virus and while perhaps not life threatening for athletes it's not gonna be something that doesn't affect them. The integrity of the leagues and cups is surely gone

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If they void the league when Liverpool are 2 games away, we'll (rightfully) never hear the end of it.

PowerTaxi

Oct 25, 2017
Not getting the league would be one thing, the promotion/relegation and European places would be a legal shitshow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm frightened. Don't you dare take the title away from us. Postpone temporarily if necessary, but you can't cancel or scratch the season off. There will be riots.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the problem just give the title to Liverpool - it's theirs anyhow, but don't put more people in danger for such a petty reason.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
riots of joy? yes

void the league
To be clear though. I'm tired of all this "we finally won the league". It was about time. The fact that it took 30 years is worthy a medal in itself. This is the perfect way for them to finally cross that fucking finish line.

With a pandemic and nobody giving a shit.
Let them have it. Honestly, they deserve it this year.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
To be clear though. I'm tired of all this "we finally won the league". It was about time. The fact that it took 30 years is worthy a medal in itself. This is the perfect way for them to finally cross that fucking finish line.

With a pandemic and nobody giving a shit.
Let them have it. Honestly, they deserved it this year.
they would lift it in an empty stadium and wouldn't have a parade either 😂

perfectly fitting for liverpool

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Damn, just read the news about Arteta :S Hoping for the best!

And yes, any other decision than the League being suspend (as already is the case in several countries) should be reason enough to fire every single person in charge of it.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
They'll postpone it and won;t decide anything till early to mid April most likely.

Oct 28, 2017
This is not funny. We deserve to have Anfield erupt when we cross the line. We deserve a Hendo trophy lift in front of a packed stadium and we deserve a celebration for the ages and a parade. I am not amused.

Postpone and finish the league later. No voiding anything and no behind closed doors games. Just finish the league at a later date if necessary. I can wait a little longer for the moments to be right.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Shout-out to Exploding Heads.
I absolutely can't stand the ESPN pundits, but this stuff is by far the funniest football related content you can find on YouTube:

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The global crisis we're facing isn't funny.

Your own investment in the outcome of the league is not a reason to argue it shouldn't be suspended nor is it a reason to make a joke out of the league potentially not getting a resolution.

Lives and jobs are at risk, joking about it goes beyond banter. Consider this the first and only warning.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Callum Hudson-Odoi has tested positive.
www.chelseafc.com

Chelsea FC training facility will undergo partial closure after men’s team player tested positive for COVID-19 | Official Site | Chelsea Football Club

Chelsea men’s team player Callum Hudson-Odoi had a positive test result for Coronavirus returned this evening. Chelsea personnel who had recent close contact with the player in the men’s team building will now self-isolate in line with Government health guidelines. These will include initially...

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Callum Hudson-Odoi has tested positive.
www.chelseafc.com

Chelsea FC training facility will undergo partial closure after men’s team player tested positive for COVID-19 | Official Site | Chelsea Football Club

Chelsea men’s team player Callum Hudson-Odoi had a positive test result for Coronavirus returned this evening. Chelsea personnel who had recent close contact with the player in the men’s team building will now self-isolate in line with Government health guidelines. These will include initially...

Skip the meeting tomorrow; just call the bloody league off. The FA doesn't have to be as inept as the Government in their handling.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think it was possible but looking at all the other sports and the spread of the virus i think there's a very real chance the season will get cancelled, whether people in the FA want it or not. Same with the Euro's, Olympics etc

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Football is certainly in a tougher spot than some other sports given the sheer frequency of events we're talking about. A British team, in particular, can have like 60-70 official matches in the span of 9-10 months assuming they reach the end/win all competitions they're in. In the breaks they play for their respective national teams, and many of those are also important events. You can perhaps cancel/pause/abruptly end the PL and take the results you've got for the 2020/2021 season if you wish, but you still haven't figured out what to do with the many cups a team can be in. And it's not just random titles, either: those cups actually define, among other things, who can participate in the next season's cups as well.

In Formula 1 if you cancel a couple months' worth of races, you can still have a pretty regular season, it all just becomes shorter. In tennis you can definitely call off a few invitationals to save some time, or even some official events to shorten things. But football is in a much tougher spot because a mere 1-2 months stop (in the last 2-3 months of the season, no less, when all the most important matches happen) means voiding several competitions, and given how teams can relegate or not qualify for another year's cups, there's an enormous difference between a pause, a "let's just take standings as we are" or a cancelation of the season altogether, as the teams involved in next season's events would be drastically different based on what you decide.

Whatever's gonna decided, some teams will benefit from it, others won't. Those about to get relegated in the PL would probably love this season to be voided so that next year they start again as if nothing happened, still in PL. Or Arsenal who'd suddenly be back in the EL even though their current standings would not get them anywhere near. A team like Liverpool certainly would want the title assigned on the basis of the fact they have a near untouchable lead (only maths don't allow to declare them the winners yet). Teams who are higher up than initially expected in the standings would probably enjoy a pause to the season so that they can continue from their excellent position instead of resetting things. And that's not even factoring in the UEFA events where teams like Lyon or Atalanta definitely would want prior matches to count, while a team like Inter or Liverpool that lasted far less than expected would greatly benefit from a reset button.

The important thing, anyway, is that the federations involved realize that people's health is above everything else. I have no horse in the PL title race but I would absolutely understand how various teams would get shafted by one decision or another unfairly, but in emergency situations there rarely is somebody who benefits. Certainly it would be insane if Liverpool's insane PL run was to be voided like this, but what matters now is that the British authorities take the correct measure to contain, to slow down the virus. They need to have the balls to pull off drastic measures like Italy because if they let this disease go unchecked, hospitals will crack under the pressure of the immense numbers of cases.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any need currently to cancel entire seasons or even void them. Just postpone all further games, cancel the Euros this year and you basically have two more months should you really need them. Sure, if the situation stays as it currently is, at one point you'll have to discuss what to do, but I really don't see the need right now.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any need currently to cancel entire seasons or even void them. Just postpone all further games, cancel the Euros this year and you basically have two more months should you really need them. Sure, if the situation stays as it currently is, at one point you'll have to discuss what to do, but I really don't see the need right now.

This is where I'm at. Just press the pause button on all competitions in Europe, from national leagues and cups to UEFA events. In some months, when things hopefully improve, they can just restart as if nothing happened inbetween, play out the rest of the season more or less as intended, then see where they are with the calendars. Worst case scenario they can already shorten the next season a little bit to make more room for this one.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Dybala confusion probably came from the fact that various websites focused on showing how Dybala hugged various people after his goal against Inter, including Rugani. He wasn't confirmed positive, I have to assume some people just misinterpreted the increased focus on him and ran the story without checking the details.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you cancelled all friendlies, did mixed cup weekends and generally use the gap as the end of season break that's a good chunk switched around that you just roll off the season into a tournament or a new season. Depends how long this goes on for but there is so many breaks in football, they can make it up to a point.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the Derby is off with Everton players self isolating. An un named player apparently showing signs..can't be Jordan Pickford anyway, he rarely catches anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.