• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Rumours that the Premier League are to postpone all games until early April. Announcement coming at 11am.

The handling of this whole thing has been a shambles.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
I can't believe how much the global situation has changed over the last 48 hours. It's mad to think that Liverpool played Athletico at a packed Anfield midweek.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
So we've now got Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester, Manchester City, Everton, Watford and Bournemouth who all have players/members of staff going into isolation. Yet the Premier League actually put out a statement yesterday saying games were going ahead.

Joke.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
I just don't see the logic in pressing pause and resuming things later. Are all the affected players, staff, managers just supposed to come back in a month and perform like they didn't have a life threatening disease?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see the logic in pressing pause and resuming things later. Are all the affected players, staff, managers just supposed to come back in a month and perform like they didn't have a life threatening disease?
They'll review the situation of course and follow the instructions of the government who follow the advice of people who actually know what they're talking about. I agree that beginning of April is a bit optimistic. There are a lot of uncertainties. Not sure if the UK government has a press release scheduled.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
The Nation will be in much worse shape by April 3rd because we're doing nothing to stem it.

Amazing that sporting bodies are doing more to try to stop the virus spreading than the Government...

Muddy Water

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, April 3rd makes no sense. This whole situation is probably going to get worse before it gets better. They'll most definitely end up extending it.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
yeah, April is just around the corner and this shit is just starting to blow up. Reported numbers are nowhere near the real ones.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
RIP Football in 2020. The consequences of not being able to play in the coming months (lets see if the Summer allow us to play or not) likely means the next season will also be fucked.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Between this season being fucked, next season consequently being fucked, and the Qatar disaster coming down the tracks for the season after, it's going to be a LONG time before football's back to normal.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I really struggle to see how a postponed season could even work. The season is supposed to end in May, the transfer window opens, players need their rest, staff need time off. The next season is due to start in August. We likely won't really see the peak of the spread of infections until April perhaps.

Do we really think they will manage the rest of the league, European competitions, playoffs, transfer window all in June/July and then almost immediately start next season?

I suspect not

That said, if the spread slows down and can be contained things might be looking better. But even then, many teams will have been hit, some more than others, and that opens up questions of fairness (I'm mostly thinking promotion/relegation battles tbh)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The next season definitely won't start in August. If this outbreak get prolonged (it will), the next season may as well start in August 2021.

That's the most likely scenario for me.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Today's cover from a sports (read: 95% football news only) newspaper:

See you soon

"See you soon".

Hope it ends up being actually soon too. It's gonna suck to not even have sports happening but it's 100% the right choice.

Muddy Water

Nov 13, 2017
... the fuck, Paul?

Btw, are any other United fans here pissed with the news that he apparently wants to stick around at United now because of Bruno?

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
... the fuck, Paul?

Btw, are any other United fans here pissed with the news that he apparently wants to stick around at United now because of Bruno?

I want him to go ASAP. Him and his toxic agent/management people.

Although saying that, he hasn't played in so long, maybe he'll actually gel with the team that have finally now found form.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Football's institutions inability to even comprehend a tiny postponement of income to keep people safe has been entirely predictable but still really depressing. Sometimes I really hate liking football as much as I do.

Between this season being fucked, next season consequently being fucked, and the Qatar disaster coming down the tracks for the season after, it's going to be a LONG time before football's back to normal.

Yep

Is why the calls for the league to be voided so next one can start as usual are premature - it is almost certain that it won't be safe for supporters to attend games by August too

This thing could easily go in to 2021, we just don't know yet. Repeated short term postponements are the best thing that can be done right now - its just a shame that it took players/management actually contracting it themselves for the PL to do the right thing.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

To be honest, when you look at the calendar and the very real chance that by May things may not even be close to being solved (or contained, at the very least) it's likely most Leagues will opt for finishing things as they are. Otherwise the next season gets completely screwed too.

Not saying it's definitely happening, not at this point, but it wouldn't shock me.

Status
Not open for further replies.