• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt City would ever agree to that, they still haven't mathematically won. Also the banter would be immense and I feel it would definitely have an asterisk attached. I can't see the rest of the article, what were the other outcomes they mentioned?

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt City would ever agree to that, they still haven't mathematically won. Also the banter would be immense and I feel it would definitely have an asterisk attached. I can't see the rest of the article, what were the other outcomes they mentioned?

People were going on about "tainted title" anyways so I doubt Liverpool fans would care THAT much. Yes ideally you would want it to be won during a full season. Also I think having won it would give players the motivation to go on and win it again next season(if there is one).

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
People were going on about "tainted title" anyways so I doubt Liverpool fans would care THAT much. Yes ideally you would want it to be won during a full season. Also I think having won it would give players the motivation to go on and win it again next season(if there is one).
Yeah I get that. I just wish we would stop all these speculating articles and see how things play out. See if we can resume the season, and go from there.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, Telegraph is borderline fake news and speculation presented as fact nowadays. I can't see it happening, any decision like that would have to be unanimous. Plus, how do they decide Europe places? Not to mention the prize money for position

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing will be decided for weeks yet.

If they move the Euros to 2021 and drop the CL and EL down to single leg games, they can finish the season in a shorter span and still have a short break before next season. It might mean that next season a few things also need to be changed, be it again single legs in cups or whatever, but these are unprecedented times so everyone will have to be somewhat malleable.

It may be that the season can't continue at all and it all just gets ended. There could be playoffs for relegation or even the PL title.

From a football perspective, how many clubs are just going to be utterly fucked financially when they can't play any games at home. Are Sky and BT going to pay up for games that never happened, are players going to demand wages for 2 months of not playing.

There are lots of questions about this and all life.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Nothing will be decided for weeks yet.

If they move the Euros to 2021 and drop the CL and EL down to single leg games, they can finish the season in a shorter span and still have a short break before next season. It might mean that next season a few things also need to be changed, be it again single legs in cups or whatever, but these are unprecedented times so everyone will have to be somewhat malleable.

It may be that the season can't continue at all and it all just gets ended. There could be playoffs for relegation or even the PL title.

From a football perspective, how many clubs are just going to be utterly fucked financially when they can't play any games at home. Are Sky and BT going to pay up for games that never happened, are players going to demand wages for 2 months of not playing.

There are lots of questions about this and all life.

I know I'm biased on this but play-offs for the league would be dumb, if it was closer then maybe but Liverpool are just so far ahead it would be ridiculous

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I know I'm biased on this but play-offs for the league would be dumb, if it was closer then maybe but Liverpool are just so far ahead it would be ridiculous
They are, but as its not decided and mathematically finished, others could and woud argue that just giving it to them wouldn't be right either. Same for the cl spots. United are on a a surge and would want the chance to get 4th. Multiply that by every team in every league.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
They are, but as its not decided and mathematically finished, others could and woud argue that just giving it to them wouldn't be right either. Same for the cl spots. United are on a a surge and would want the chance to get 4th. Multiply that by every team in every league.

I mean come on, liverpool need 6 points if you want to do a play-off then liverpool should start against man city like 10-0 up.
Other places I can understand since they are so tight and I really don't know what the right solution is since they all have their own set of problems.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I mean come on, liverpool need 6 points if you want to do a play-off then liverpool should start against man city like 10-0 up.
Other places I can understand since they are so tight and I really don't know what the right solution is since they all have their own set of problems.
And to be fair, Liverpool are not exactly in shit hot form right now. That would be the argument used. They'll more than likely be awarded it in any case and they do indeed deserve it, as much as it pains me to say so.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
And to be fair, Liverpool are not exactly in shit hot form right now. That would be the argument used. They'll more than likely be awarded it in any case and they do indeed deserve it, as much as it pains me to say so.

Their form isn't great but for them not to win man city would have to win all their games and liverpool could only win 1 game out of 9.
and lets be real Man city haven't exactly been all that consistent this season either.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
technically isnt the league decided by a playoff if two teams finish with equal points and goal difference?

One game at Anfield for the title. They finished with more points so maybe home field advantage for them?

Yeah it's risky because the point difference but the alternative is either no title at all or a hollow title that doesn't mean anything. If they win that they'll be at home with their fans and be able to celebrate feeling like they really earned it

PowerTaxi

Oct 25, 2017

You wouldn't be able to use that form argument when City are coming off a loss.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
technically isnt the league decided by a playoff if two teams finish with equal points and goal difference?

One game at Anfield for the title. They finished with more points so maybe home field advantage for them?

Yeah it's risky because the point difference but the alternative is either no title at all or a hollow title that doesn't mean anything. If they win that they'll be at home with their fans and be able to celebrate feeling like they really earned it

Home field advantage isn't enough for the points gap liverpool have.
It's not a hollow title either, everyone can see Liverpool have been the best team this season and anyone with any common sense knows liverpool had the title wrapped up months ago.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Their form isn't great but for them not to win man city would have to win all their games and liverpool could only win 1 game out of 9.
and lets be real Man city haven't exactly been all that consistent this season either.
I broadcast the PL for a living but I don't have any sway over what the fuck then end up doing.

It should be Liverpools title, but don't for a second assume that it will be.

You wouldn't be able to use that form argument when City are coming off a loss.

In the PL Liverpool still have the best form in th elast 5 games. The other comps that they've been dumped out of skew the figures a lot. City are 11th in the form table for the last 5 games.

As I said, it should be Liverpools, they do deserve it. But there are a ton of decisoins to be made that have huge ramifications for hundreds of teams across the country. Assume nothing at this stage.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I broadcast the PL for a living but I don't have any sway over what the fuck then end up doing.

It should be Liverpools title, but don't for a second assume that it will be.

I'm not and honestly I'm glad I'm not in charge because I would have no idea what to do, every option seems bad for some teams.
But yeah if liverpool didn't get the title I would be pissed, as I'm sure any fan in the same position would be, but I really don't know what the right thing to do in this situation is anyway.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017

So apparently Ronaldinho won the prison's championship. 11x2, 5 goals and 6 assists.

With coronavirus stopping every league/championship around this is the best football related story we will have for now lol

There are more photos and videos in the thread.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
If they move the Euros to 2021 and drop the CL and EL down to single leg games, they can finish the season in a shorter span and still have a short break before next season.
There is still 10 match days to go in the PL (City vs Arsenal and Shef Utd vs Villa being one game behind everyone else). If you play 2 games a week that's 5 weeks to end the league season. If you still want to finish the FA Cup you need to add 3 more match days, that's now 6 1/2 weeks. Add Europa/CL and it's now another 4 match days. That's 8 1/2 weeks.

I don't think any team is going to want to play that many games in such a short amount of time. If we get to the end of April/mid-May I think they'll just cancel the season in favour of saving next season.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
There is still 10 match days to go in the PL (City vs Arsenal and Shef Utd vs Villa being one game behind everyone else). If you play 2 games a week that's 5 weeks to end the league season. If you still want to finish the FA Cup you need to add 3 more match days, that's now 6 1/2 weeks. Add Europa/CL and it's now another 4 match days. That's 8 1/2 weeks.

I don't think any team is going to want to play that many games in such a short amount of time. If we get to the end of April/mid-May I think they'll just cancel the season in favour of saving next season.
Honestly I wouldn't be sure of anything. As I've already said, clubs very futures hang on playing these games purely from gate receipts let alone TV money and so on. Who gets promoted, who gets relegated etc etc.

The FA UEFA etc could come back and say that its 2 a week till the end and the new season starts later, 1 leg in all cups, no replays, hell even stop the international breaks if Euro 2020 is moved to 2021.

If they just terminate the season and with that Sky don't pay up for tv rights, clubs don't get gate money and merch etc etc a LOT of clubs are going to be in serious trouble and could well not make it to August for the new season.

And this is all over the continent, not just here.

In a world of unlimited money, sure, end it all now and come back in August. But we don't live there. FAs and UEFA/FIFA all over the world have to think about how many clubs could get decimated.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't be sure of anything. As I've already said, clubs very futures hang on playing these games purely from gate receipts let alone TV money and so on. Who gets promoted, who gets relegated etc etc.

The FA UEFA etc could come back and say that its 2 a week till the end and the new season starts later, 1 leg in all cups, no replays, hell even stop the international breaks if Euro 2020 is moved to 2021.

If they just terminate the season and with that Sky don't pay up for tv rights, clubs don't get gate money and merch etc etc a LOT of clubs are going to be in serious trouble and could well not make it to August for the new season.

And this is all over the continent, not just here.

In a world of unlimited money, sure, end it all now and come back in August. But we don't live there. FAs and UEFA/FIFA all over the world have to think about how many clubs could get decimated.
I was only talking about the PL. I know it would hit extremely hard for a lot of clubs further down the league structure and around Europe.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's just how it is unfortunately. I work for a large Port in the UK and the amount of money we are losing out on is huge, let alone paying a large workforce which is suffering from a huge downturn in work.

We are currently following contingency plans and splitting the workforce, paying huge IT costs to mirror our Operations section in a different building, we can't afford to be wiped out when we bring in 40% of the goods into the UK.

If they can't finish the season they will just write it off and start with the leagues as they are next season, this means no promotions/relegations/champions etc.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
it is simple

league and relegation decided by play offs

3 points = 1 goal

So Liverpool VS Man City 90 mins Liverpool start with a 8-0 headstart (laughable I know, but still fair)

CL spots, relegation etc could all be solved by this..

The reality is though any decision will end up in the courts, so the league will need to be finished, there are far more clubs that will be affected than everyone wanting Liverpool to be denied the title at the death

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
There's too many people (Governments, Sporting Bodies etc) clinging to the old way of life but we have a new reality now and it's going to have a radical impact on all aspects of society around the world. The preservation of human lives will trump everything else eventually, including a lot of businesses, jobs, football clubs etc. It might not be nice to hear but there's no avoiding it. The current situation (especially here in the UK) is going to get a lot worse in a hurry. I honestly don't see any sporting events happening for 6-8 weeks minimum. If FIFA and UEFA are worried about clubs going out of business they should've some of the vast amounts of money the y make from World Cups and Euro's etc and set up a contingency fund for just such an emergency but I can't imagine they have.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
it is simple

league and relegation decided by play offs

3 points = 1 goal

So Liverpool VS Man City 90 mins Liverpool start with a 8-0 headstart (laughable I know, but still fair)

CL spots, relegation etc could all be solved by this..

The reality is though any decision will end up in the courts, so the league will need to be finished, there are far more clubs that will be affected than everyone wanting Liverpool to be denied the title at the death

who would play who in the relegation play-offs?

I think you're right about the Courts, whatever does or doesn't happen, people will be suing.

Last edited:

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
who would play who in the relegation play-offs?

it is quite simple really... you use common sense, I would say anyone under 40 points, but you allow teams to be sensible and give a 'bye'

For example you could say to Man City do you want to give Liverpool the game. as you would be starting 8-0 down

So Burnley VS Norwich Norwich would start 6-0 down, so Norwich could say give a 'bye' to Burnley..

Sounds stupid and daft but if clubs are sensible you will get a to a point where it is fair all around, but as I said, the league will have to be fininshed, will be behind closed doors but the only way there is not mass litigation by the clubs

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of the Premier League you can satisfy all teams bar Liverpool.

it is quite simple really... you use common sense, I would say anyone under 40 points, but you allow teams to be sensible and give a 'bye'

For example you could say to Man City do you want to give Liverpool the game. as you would be starting 8-0 down

So Burnley VS Norwich Norwich would start 6-0 down, so Norwich could say give a 'bye' to Burnley..

Sounds stupid and daft but if clubs are sensible you will get a to a point where it is fair all around, but as I said, the league will have to be fininshed, will be behind closed doors but the only way there is not mass litigation by the clubs
That is an absolutely awful idea that will never ever happen.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of a competition perspective, the FA Cup is significantly less important from a commercial perspective and should be significantly easier to cancel having next to no bearing in next season.

The Champions League And Europa League are more difficult because of how pots are drawn for next season in the champions league but there are already rules in place in case the champions league winner is also the winner of its national league so that can be adopted next season.

On top of everything else, how does City's champions league ban affect things?

Imagine they decide the ban holds the week after league positions are fixed as they are. You could potentially get more law suits as fifth place is a lot more open than fourth.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
It's so complicated it feels like there are only 2 viable options - finish the season or cancel it now.

finishing it seems overly problematic to me too, especially if there are no games for another 6-8 weeks minimum and it would then start to impact next season.

For right or wrong this could be the biggest thing to happen in most of our lifetimes which means the effects will be unfathomable.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Karen Brady without any alterior motive at all, is calling for the league to be called null and void

in reality if the Euros get moved it will free up all summer to get done, then a couple of weeks break and start next season

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Thought this twitter thread (have only linked the first tweet) was a good summary of what is going on at the moment. There are a lot of people opportunistically trying to get the best conclusion out of it for their own interests (whether that be to avoid relegation, guarantee CL football, or to deny Liverpool the title for the lolz) and it is pretty telling.

The range of potential viable solutions to the problem will be known when we know more about the impact of the virus. If containment totally fails we might be looking at no season 20/21 let alone being able to finish this one off now. People need to be patient and wait this out unfortunately.

Edit:

Oh and Karen Brady is a Tory arsehole and should not be listened to for an opinion on anything. Although given the reaction against her column this week, I imagine it has done West Ham more harm than good in this instance

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Radio 5 have done an 'expected' modelling for final tables

1st LFC
2nd MC
3rd LC
4th Chelsea
5th MU

Relegation
WHU
AV
Norwich

caveat with if you really predict all results in 9games you will be a millionaire

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's too many people (Governments, Sporting Bodies etc) clinging to the old way of life but we have a new reality now and it's going to have a radical impact on all aspects of society around the world. The preservation of human lives will trump everything else eventually, including a lot of businesses, jobs, football clubs etc. It might not be nice to hear but there's no avoiding it. The current situation (especially here in the UK) is going to get a lot worse in a hurry. I honestly don't see any sporting events happening for 6-8 weeks minimum. If FIFA and UEFA are worried about clubs going out of business they should've some of the vast amounts of money the y make from World Cups and Euro's etc and set up a contingency fund for just such an emergency but I can't imagine they have.
FIFA and UEFA are organizations used simply to take or steal money away, not give it to anyone. There are no filthier sport organizations on Earth.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Networks/teams should show some classic matches while Footy is gone. Would love to re-watch matches like Liverpool/AC Milan 2005, Barcelona/Madrid 5-0, Portugal vs Netherlands 2006, etc.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
According to The Athletic, Most of the teams want to finish out the season even if it means playing into July. Tottenham and West Ham are the only 2 teams that want to null and void the season.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
According to The Athletic, Most of the teams want to finish out the season even if it means playing into July. Tottenham and West Ham are the only 2 teams that want to null and void the season.
That's what I read too. Apparently a Spurs Tier 1 source said that report was false though, but who knows. As for West Ham idk.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Peak of the virus will hit in a few weeks which is going to be April and it will probably take a few weeks for it to settle.

At this point may is probably the safest option to bring all games back, unless they want to play behind close doors which the premier League probably are reluctant too.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I wonder if a Duckworth Lewis type equation could be made/implemented. Figuring out the potential points a team would be expected to make given their position, goals scored/conceded, who they have left to play, home Vs away, etc

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's so complicated it feels like there are only 2 viable options - finish the season or cancel it now.

finishing it seems overly problematic to me too, especially if there are no games for another 6-8 weeks minimum and it would then start to impact next season.

For right or wrong this could be the biggest thing to happen in most of our lifetimes which means the effects will be unfathomable.
Or.. wait and see what happens for 1-2 months instead of making immediate decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.