• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's a tough one if the season is null and voided, but if it carries on into May what else can be done? This is an unprecedented situation and normality is out of the window at this point.

Legally what can anyone do, you can't hold anyone responsible for what is a worldwide pandemic.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With all competitions effectively paused and the Euro 2020 all but moved into 2021, there's a couple months of space. For now they don't need to think of anything drastic, if by May-June they can proceed with the competitions they can just finish all matches more or less as intended, at worst you tweak the start of the next season a little bit. Problems only begin to arise if by that timeframe they're unable to get things going, in which case they either truncate this season or make drastic changes for the next one. At which point, it's anyone's guess what's gonna be called. I'd be very surprised, however, if any country just voided 8 months' worth of matches because the last 2 didn't materialize.

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
They won't be playing in May, it probably won't peak in the UK until June and it'll be August at the earliest when there's a massive drop and no-one is spreading it around.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They're completely insane (unsurprisingly unfortunately), if anything it should be the other way around and the UEFA should set up a fund to help clubs which will almost go bankrupt because of this.
And if the UEFA needs to cut costs just cut the amount of money distributed to clubs participating in its European competitions (CL, EL and the Super Cup), that shit is over €2.5billion a year, I'm sure some cuts can be made there.

Champions League Group Stage starting fee: cut from €15.25mil to €12mil = €2.25mil savings per club, times 32 = €72mil
Qualification for the CL Round of 16: cut from €9.5mil to €9mil = €500k savings per club, times 16 = €8mil for a total of €80mil
Qualification for the CL Quarter-finals: cut from €10.5mil to €9.75mil = €750k savings per club, times 8 = €6mil for a total of €86mil
Qualification for the CL Semi-finals: cut from €12mil to €10.75mil = €1.25mil savings per club, times 4 = €5mil for a total of €91mil
Qualification for the CL Finals: cut from €15mil to €12mil = €3mil savings per clubs, times 2 = €6mil for a total of €97mil

Do that for 3 seasons and you have your money, and as a bonus you've shoved less money into the hands of the already rich clubs so the divide between them and the rest doesn't grow as fast. You're welcome fuckfaces.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Champions League final on the 27th of June...

They expect to finish the 1/8ths, do the entirety (even with single matches) of the 1/4ths and the semis by then? All while clubs are also having to do their dozen or so championship matches and local cups? Also keep in mind that in various countries players can not even train right now, so even assuming that things improve by early May, they'd still need a week or two to get back into the rhythm. Nah man, this ain't happening.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
They expect to finish the 1/8ths, do the entirety (even with single matches) of the 1/4ths and the semis by then? All while clubs are also having to do their dozen or so championship matches and local cups? Also keep in mind that in various countries players can not even train right now, so even assuming that things improve by early May, they'd still need a week or two to get back into the rhythm. Nah man, this ain't happening.
I know... seems weird to me too, but that's what Marca is saying :/

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
There are growing rumours that brief Rover and Cardiff legend Peter Whittingham has passed away following an accident. Apparently Wales Online had an article that has since been removed.

No confirmation either way so hopefully it will be proven to be a sick hoax..

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
There are growing rumours that brief Rover and Cardiff legend Peter Whittingham has passed away following an accident. Apparently Wales Online had an article that has since been removed.

No confirmation either way so hopefully it will be proven to be a sick hoax..
Seems legit, sadly

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So we have gone from Utd fans celebrating thinking Liverpool are going to not get the PL, to them being fucked if they dont finish 4th as Europa league on permanent hold

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
If and when the Premier League starts up again do you think they'll start with behind closed door matches or go straight to full stadiums?
If it's this early then most likely behind closed doors.

The big issue with stopping the virus by locking everyone up is how you then transition back to normal. If they just let everything start up again the virus just comes back.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
All La Liga teams have put forward a player to play in an Online Fifa Tournament starting this Friday.

7m0OEJY.png

Last edited:

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Liverpool being crowned champions in an empty stadium with quite possibly no parade....it's really going to feel like a weird win

These measures are for the best though....be safe everyone

Deleted member 63832

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
La Liga said if the season is cancelled then nobody would win it, it would just be a voided season.

And I really don't see how they can salvage the season.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Not a chance, I do admire people's arrogance that we think we're still in charge and can make these decisions and set dates...
I don't see it either, but it's whats set right now. We'll see. I doubt that even by May most countries in Europe will be in a good enough place to allow the normality of sports once more... hopefully it happens, but right now I have serious doubts. Most places are still quite a bit far away from reaching their respective peak in regards to Covid-19.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
La Liga said if the season is cancelled then nobody would win it, it would just be a voided season.

Who becomes champion is a relatively small detail, it's the relegation places and champions league spots which are the bigger issues.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Honestly I don't know.

If all the players are clear and stuff they could start doing games behind closed doors I guess. But a lot of teams need the gate money

Deleted member 63832

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Honestly I don't know.

If all the players are clear and stuff they could start doing games behind closed doors I guess. But a lot of teams need the gate money

True, but the lower table teams would probably need support in taking the extra security measures to ensure safety of the players and staff in those closed doors games when it comes to costs and logistics.

Small teams and their vendors will hurt regardless of what happens unfortunately :/

Status
Not open for further replies.