• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
They still think they can finish the season?

Unless they're ok with finishing the season late July, August at the earliest

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They still think they can finish the season?

Unless they're ok with finishing the season late July, August at the earliest
If you begin in the first week of May and play 2 games a week you could finish it. And if it's really necessary you could change the formats of the Europa League and Champions League to a single leg format at a neutral venue to cut down on the amount of games needed to be played.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
If you begin in the first week of May and play 2 games a week you could finish it. And if it's really necessary you could change the formats of the Europa League and Champions League to a single leg format at a neutral venue to cut down on the amount of games needed to be played.
Big if, footy is probably one of the last things to come back, two games a week is possible but there's the issue of additional strain on authorities. The FA seems to be implying that the season could end late in the year if necessary.

At what point do you just call it off, even the Olympics will have to be called off if athletes can't prepare or haven't qualified.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
At what point do you just call it off, even the Olympics will have to be called off if athletes can't prepare or haven't qualified.
For what reason, though? The Olympics are a massive, but relatively short, singular event once every four years that have a lot of one-time logistics for that specific location. Nothing of that is true for domestic football leagues. Just continue them whenever possible, everything else (e.g., when to finish and when to start the next season) can be planned then. I'd rather have a "season" span two years than have one arbitrarily decided by a virus, not to mention what you'd do with relegation, international competitions etc.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
For what reason, though? The Olympics are a massive, but relatively short, singular event once every four years that have a lot of one-time logistics for that specific location. Nothing of that is true for domestic football leagues. Just continue them whenever possible, everything else (e.g., when to finish and when to start the next season) can be planned then. I'd rather have a "season" span two years than have one arbitrarily decided by a virus, not to mention what you'd do with relegation, international competitions etc.
I'm just making an assumption that the pandemic will last until at least June, so in order to start the next season in time just call this one off. I guess I'm underestimating the tv rights and sponsorship contracts, but health authorities are going to be very reluctant to authorize public events once numbers start to go down, they'll want to see if the outbreak is truly under control.

Football seems to be ok with starting the new season almost immediately after they're able to finish this one.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
They're not going to cancel it.
I don't think *they* get to call any shots about it right now. The UK is still quite a few weeks away from reaching it's peak infection rates and once they get there this isn't going to get fixed overnight either. While it's nice that they have a set date to start playing again it's very much unclear if they'll be able to or not, at this point in time.

tl:dr: Cancelling the season (ie, giving the trophy to Liverpool and not playing any more matches) is very much in the cards at this point.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Of course it will. If you can move the Euros by a year, why couldn't you have a two-year long season as well, if it doesn't work any other way?
The decision as to when you even start playing is completely off their hands. If the UK is unlucky enough (and let's fucking hope not) to deal with a Spain or Italy scenario, any possible dates or scenarios are merely fiction. Nothing else.

Without knowing when you can begin to play all of this is pointless.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
LFC Away Kit leaked

ETaeEoAWoAEgtM_
I like this.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Was watching some PSG game from the 2017 season and it's crazy how younger Neymar looked back then. Those 2,5 years in Paris (and injuries, and his judiciary problems) have really taken a toll on him.

I think he is the player I enjoy the most watching, and when he is fit he has been absolutely incredible. Too bad he doesn't seem happy here, and has lost some crucial months of his peak injured. I often wonder how many of his haters would look at him differently if they could have seen him play at his usual level at WC 2018.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Not outright confirmed yet by the KNVB but the Dutch season is basically over, Dutch government just banned ALL gatherings until June 1st and clubs were promised multiple weeks of "pre-season" to get their players back into shape again, so at the earliest we can start playing late June/early July.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The EPL will be back behind closed doors. Refs, players, coaches, and a basic broadcasting force (maybe on that last one)

Dunno what the UK testing situation is but it seems like rich people have no issues getting tests. Test every player and official. If all clear then you are good to play.

Or if it comes down to it, have all the games be in 14 day intervals. Play all the game. Wait 2 weeks. Play another set.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I have private health cover in the UK and vitality are telling us they're not testing and also they'll pay us to use the NHS for coronavirus hospitalisation.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno what the UK testing situation is but it seems like rich people have no issues getting tests. Test every player and official. If all clear then you are good to play.
Can't happen. You need an ambulance crew present at all games. Besides, what happens if a member of staff gets infected? What happens if one of the players' family members or friends gets infected? What if you test the players but then one gets infected after?

Status
Not open for further replies.