• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Only flaw? I mean Black Face Trish is also another flaw I'd point out...

That's not black face is "Gyaru" and it's a fashion thing over in Japan where gals tan their skin so much, funnily enough it would perfectly explain why Nikki Minaj did anime eyes in some of her music videos.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Context? What the fuck you on about pal?

I seen many tweets and topics specifically showing posts where people were going daft about the hair.

Don't get all defensive, lol

It's almost like if you pull out a tired meme that's meant to discredit legitimate criticism against a game then people get annoyed.

It's low effort trolling at best.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
It has the the best gameplay of a Devil May Cry game.

Although Donte was cringey, the story had some nice ideas, like bringing the society closer to the narrative. Dante and his friends were always saving a world that looked really empty.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember laughing at the losers going mental over a haircut.
Some people will say that never happened, too. And it's not like the game's perfect or anything, but it certainly didn't do anything to warrant the endless (I mean, this is the 6th year) shitflinging. Like, do these people know it's okay not to post?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people will say that never happened, too. And it's not like the game's perfect or anything, but it certainly didn't do anything to warrant the endless (I mean, this is the 6th year) shitflinging. Like, do these people know it's okay not to post?

You know the same can be applied to you since every time there's a DmC thread you swoop in about Gamer Entitlement or whatever.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, that seems like you are doing this man.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It felt faster, fluid and more stylish than the others to me. The platform parts were also fun.
...That's kind of factually incorrect if i'm being honest, espically on the vanilla version. But you know what, i'm glad you liked it. I Don't see what you were talking about , but you got joy out of it.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Context? What the fuck you on about pal?

I seen many tweets and topics specifically showing posts where people were going daft about the hair.

Don't get all defensive, lol
No-one that dislikes DmC in this whole thread has mentioned his hair once, its fine that you dont want to look at legit criticism of the de-booted re-boot but your intentions in this thread are very apparent.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It felt faster, fluid and more stylish than the others to me. The platform parts were also fun.
Honestly, the only thing that hampers my playing of the game are some of the "enemy showing up" cutscenes. Other than that, it's pretty amazing how they made everything just flow, from the levels themselves to the movement.

I also find it weird that people call it completely linear, but I suppose most did not look for the secrets/lost souls. I do think OP maybe meant art direction when he mentioned level design, though.
No-one that dislikes DmC in this whole thread has mentioned his hair once, its fine that you dont want to look at legit criticism of the de-booted re-boot but your intentions in this thread are very apparent.
It was very clear he was being general in his mentioning of haters who specifically cried about the hair, dunno why anyone would take issue at that when we all know it's true.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the time the level design was OK but the platforming just got too repetitive, the bosses were not fun at all and the combat was bad compared to DMC4 and DMC3. So no, i don't think the concept of this game was great. I'm not one to play DMC games for the story or anything but good grief the story in this one was some of the most abysmal crap i have ever seen in a game ever. It might be worse than Other M or MGS4. It's nuts.

Oh and then there is the 30FPS debacle and having to buy the definitive edition to get most of the issues fixed that shouldn't have been issues in the original base game to begin with.

DmC was a misfire for me in nearly every conceivable way. Capcom was just crap during the entire seventh generation and everything surrounding this project is like emblematic of everything that was wrong with the company during this time period. I'm so glad they have mostly returned to their roots this gen.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Enough with generalizing and antagonistic rhetoric like "entitlement" or "haters" and discuss the topic, please.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Genuinely asking, why you think that. What you like about it, curious?

He probably played the previous devil may cry games on automatic mode.

Because everything he's saying is literally factually incorrect. There are literally hundreds of thousands of hours on youtube showcasimg why that is. In fact, DMC4 despite being 11 years old is still really the only action game with still such an active community. Due to its gameplay.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

Because everything he's saying is literally factually incorrect. There are literally hundreds of thousands of hours on youtube showcasimg why that is. In fact, DMC4 despite being 11 years old is still really the only action game with still such an active community. Due to its gameplay.
Hey whoah whoah

Lets not accuse him of anything, I don't know him. I could think of some reasons to prefer DmC combat , I don't agree with those reasons but I can see someone arguing for em.

Lets not be antagonistic. He prefers DmC, its chill bro

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
It was very clear he was being general in his mentioning of haters who specifically cried about the hair, dunno why anyone would take issue at that when we all know it's true.
The hair and cigarette smoking was only an issue after the first reveal of the game to launch. We are well past that and only people who love DmC bring it up now for obvious reasons.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still, none of the attempts at derailing can knock the fact that the levels in DmC are like characters in themselves, what with them being fully realized visually, mechanically and even from a storytelling perspective. The Plan is by far the best level ever made for a single player game in those regards, it's beautiful and manages to both challenge a player with combat and traversal and tell further the game's story through its visuals.
DnrpqwVVAAA7wht.jpg

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Still, none of the attempts at derailing can knock the fact that the levels in DmC are like characters in themselves, what with them being fully realized visually, mechanically and even from a storytelling perspective. The Plan is by far the best level ever made for a single player game in those regards, it's beautiful and manages to both challenge a player with combat and traversal and tell further the game's story through its visuals.
Those aren't really gotchas, though?

People were naturally reactionary to the first trailer because it was so bizarrely different from the DMC that was known at the time. And the initial design of Dante was criticized enough that they went back to alter him to look less like a Clash fan one heroin shot sort of an overdose.

latest

This was not the best way to introduce the new Dante to an audience that loved the old.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good thing DMCV is taking some heavy inspiration from it. The art was pretty cool.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
latest

This was not the best way to introduce the new Dante to an audience that loved the old.

Design wise I did not like this at all when it was first shown.

Now after all these years, I preferred what NT were going for in the TGS trailer rather than the end product honestly. This Dante seemed far more interesting than whatever they did with him in the finished game. I played the Definitive Edition. It had some good things but it just felt so lackluster in terms of gameplay that I couldn't bring myself to replay it.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's almost like if you pull out a tired meme that's meant to discredit legitimate criticism against a game then people get annoyed.

It's low effort trolling at best.

Im just stating something I remember seeing. When did I discredit criticisim?

Don't take everything so seriously.

My intentions in this thread?

I said I loved the game, what the fuck are you on about? I don't care who likes or dislikes the game. It's just a daft game. Why you so defensive about a comment I made about haircuts?

Fucking hell....

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Man, this should have been such a good scene. Dante opens up about his trauma and sordid past, and... you get this Linkin Park shit.

If it weren't for the scene where Kat is abducted by the police the game wouldn't have a single redeeming line of dialogue.

Besides "I have a bigger dick" anyway (and I unironically believe this).

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I think DMC fans were just unhappy to see their beloved series change a bit. It could have happened with the recent God of War too. I'm a big fan of the original game and I still think it's the best, followed by DMC3 and DmC. DmC's environments were great, the platforming sections were also better than most DMC games, the combat system was not fantastic but still above most action games. It's especially a good game at 60fps and a bit sped up (thanks to the current gen remaster).

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Dynamic level design is a neat concept, and there are parts of DmC where it's well implemented, but overall I thought I thought the levels were just OK. The art style just doesn't look that great to me and I thought the very on-the-nose signage was a miscalculation. Don't literally state the themes of the game in plain text, lol.

DmC's levels are largely linear paths with a bunch of scripted visual elements. Most other action games are very linear too, but that's because the point is to usher players from one battle arena to the next with breaks in between. If your combat is subpar, like DmC's, and the in-between parts involve lots of tedious platforming...well, that's not exactly a recipe for fun or replayability.

Compare DmC's levels with, say, Tairon in Ninja Gaiden Black. An expansive area with countless paths and interconnections is much more enjoyable to me than DmC's platform-fests.

Another factor is whether or not traversal is enjoyable. A game like Bayonetta 2, with its instantly responsive controls and movement options that let you tear around like a wolf with its tail on fire, leap great distances, do a stab attack that sends you surging forward at high speed, acrobatically flip all over the place, and zoom into the air or toward the ground with a flying kick is so much more fun than DmC's traversal, which doesn't feel especially dynamic, and so often involves standing on a platform, using your grapple chain to yank another platform into place, and then pulling yourself from one part of the level to the next, repeatedly. DmC's platforming is terribly repetitive.

Last edited:

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome

So someone's opinion is invalidated because they prefer one game to another? Get the fuck outta here.

OP
OP
SnatcherHunter

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think DMC fans were just unhappy to see their beloved series change a bit. It could have happened with the recent God of War too. I'm a big fan of the original game and I still think it's the best, followed by DMC3 and DmC. DmC's environments were great, the platforming sections were also better than most DMC games, the combat system was not fantastic but still above most action games. It's especially a good game at 60fps and a bit sped up (thanks to the current gen remaster).

This notion certainly didn't help DmC. It was obviously judged in a different scale.

OP
OP
SnatcherHunter

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Feel like this is the perfect time to bump this thread.

After playing DMC5 twice, I prob appreciate NT DmC even more.

Not saying DMC5 was a bad game, on the contrary, it was very good!

However, this thread was about appreciating the level design of DmC.

For all the fun I had with DMC5, I feel the game suffered with level and art design. It starts to become repetitive and I felt fatigued (especially 2nd run)
As I mentioned months ago, I felt DmC levels are all unique further enhancing replayability.

It is truly fascinating, I feel DmC will eventually be remembered for its positives rather than the negatives.

Anyone feel the same after finishing DMC5?

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
It is truly fascinating, I feel DmC will eventually be remembered for its positives rather than the negatives.

no

DMC5 is the better game to me and enthusiast gamers who happen to enjoy this franchise will probably still be mad that developer insulted fanbase or some weirdo shit, wouldn't be tho

you really shouldn't have bumped this

Last edited:

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Even after finishing DMC5, I think DmC was way better with the level design. It was just a complete blast playing not just through the first part of the game, but everything, because every level changed and kept new things around.

I don't really care about the design of the characters in DmC, since I think they mostly butchered up Dante and Vergil (mainly the last one). Was it edgy and all of that? Yeah, same as the main franchise lol

Oct 29, 2017
DmC's level design was among the best in the industry overall. It's one of the areas the game was plain better than the mainline games - the environments were not only visually incredibly inventive, but the platforming was intuitive and fun, there were a ton of ideas like the one OP talks about and, most importantly, at no point did I have to run through the whole game again backwards!

Too often, when talking about Character Action games, people completely ignore anything but the core fighting system. It's the most important part, no question. But the best fighting system can still make for a less than perfect game game if it gets utilized in boring levels and disrupted by terrible puzzles and backtracking.

How on earth is automated platforming intuitive and fun?

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Yup. The game is also misogynistic as fuck but never gets called on it.

it's obviously getting flack now because the climate on how games media and enthusiasts reflect on the content they consume is drastically different now than it was five years ago, and to suggest that 2012 era video gaming wasn't a boys club fuckhouse is absolutely ignorant

This isn't to discredit your grievances with DmC because your grievances are absolutely valid and I have no place to say otherwise but I mean

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Feel like this is the perfect time to bump this thread.

After playing DMC5 twice, I prob appreciate NT DmC even more.

Not saying DMC5 was a bad game, on the contrary, it was very good!

However, this thread was about appreciating the level design of DmC.

For all the fun I had with DMC5, I feel the game suffered with level and art design. It starts to become repetitive and I felt fatigued (especially 2nd run)
As I mentioned months ago, I felt DmC levels are all unique further enhancing replayability.

I agree. DmC's level design and art direction are vastly superior to DMC5. While DMC5 does have the better combat system, maybe one of the best in a game since Ninja Gaiden II, I cant help but miss sections that other people will write off as filler. That's really my only gripe against DMC5 is that there's no memorable sections of the game and it just feels very on rails a lot of the time.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The art direction was very strong indeed. Level design itself however was too disjointed and relied too much on jumping and hooking to small platforms, though I appreciate it being more straight forward with no huge baktracking or area re-uses. DMC5 is kinda the opposite, the level design is fantastic and the best in the series bar NONE, but the art design is kinda boring for the most part with few exceptions.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
it's obviously getting flack now because the climate on how games media and enthusiasts reflect on the content they consume is drastically different now than it was five years ago, and to suggest that 2012 era video gaming wasn't a boys club fuckhouse is absolutely ignorant

This isn't to discredit your grievances with DmC because your grievances are absolutely valid and I have no place to say otherwise but I mean

I would say 2019 era video gaming is still a boys club fuckhouse trying to paint a veneer of inclusivity to cover its own back.

The conversation in this thread even still has defenses of the blatant homophobia and deep rooted misogyny the game has and most people still handwave it with "levels look cool tho"

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
The conversation in this thread even still has defenses of the blatant homophobia and deep rooted misogyny the game has and most people still handwave it with "levels look cool tho"

ah the dead or alive defense

I'll be real though, the people on this forum will not reflect on the content they consume five or so years ago here unless someone in the media makes an article about it, which in turn said user here will make a thread. It's no excuse to obvious, concerning issues that plague this industry but it's what I expect out of this place lmfao i mean we got clowns defending corporate takeovers and worker abuse here so as long as they get there game, wouldn't be me though

I will say that I feel as if Ninja Theory is a better developer when it comes to tackling these issues now than five or so years ago. Unless Bleeding Edge proves me otherwise (which i doubt?????)

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Aye, DmC was great and gets shat on with an alarming frequency. I don't like Dante or Vergil, even tho tbf the OG Dante/Vergil are fucking assholes all the same, but story was more elaborated, levels were fun and even impressive, and combat was forgiving and shallower yet engaging.
Best game ever? Lol no. But better than DMC 1, 2 and maybe 4 (this one has awesome combat but fuck everything else) indeed.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How tho? Like the levels really meet the minimal requirement to even be levels in that they just served as a vector between combat encounters.
And thats all they had to be, its all about good pacing and keeping things interesting with what the core gameplay offers rather than random gimmics. There's still some jumping and walking but it doesnt waste my time pretending to be a platformer or a discount RE, because no matter how you cut it the gameplay just doesnt work well when trying to be those, it will always be off unless you change something that will fuck up the way jumping works in combat.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I completely agree OP, DmC was a goddamn enjoyable ride. I should play it again while high. Anyone knows if the PC version has a mod for the combat balance changes?
The art direction was very strong indeed. Level design itself however was too disjointed and relied too much on jumping and hooking to small platforms, though I appreciate it being more straight forward with no huge baktracking or area re-uses. DMC5 is kinda the opposite, the level design is fantastic and the best in the series bar NONE, but the art design is kinda boring for the most part with few exceptions.
Right, I think that poster meant to say 'encounter design' instead of 'level design.'

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
It makes me sad how much hate this game gets, because I think it's brilliant.

While the combat might not be as deep as let's say DMC4 or 5, it excels in level and art design, music and bosses.