• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
These are all very different games. If you're disappointed by one but like the other it probably means that you like that games approach more. But this compulsion that people have to frame wildly different things as better or worse than one another is harmful to discussion as it makes for knee jerk reactions. Each game you mentioned has its merits and I think it speaks more to this year being good for quantity and quality of RPG releases.

Oct 27, 2017
Loved P5 and DQXI and even Ni No Kuni 2 from the past 2 years of JRPG's, thought Octo was boring. Been meaning to try ROF thats the gun one with the bear outfits right? I'll probably get it. I hated Xeno 2 though is this game like that?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about Radiant Historia. I'm only around 10 hours in, but there is so much backtracking and the combat doesn't evolve much from the beginning...

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
If the games you're recommending are good, why put other games down? They're pretty different and it only hurts your arguments, OP.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I loved Radiant Historia on DS and am thinking of picking up PC for a second playthrough. However, I don't really see the point of listing five of the better JRPGs released over the space of the last decade in comparison in a thread title. They are all pretty good at what they do, each plays very differently and some will appeal more than others depending on individual taste.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well, I disagree:

-OT: great gameplay and OST, good visuals and some dark themes in the main story that make it stand out compared to most JRPGs. But the game is repetitive, the main structure is flawed. It's a good JRPG IMO.
-P5: the best game from your list. Fun to play, stylish and unique (unique in the genre, it's not even a good improvement over older Persona games), but yeah the pacing is a mess and it's too long. I enjoyed it a lot even considering the flaws.
-DQ XI: unremarkable and boring JRPG. It's beautiful, it's polished, but it does nothing interesting, both the plot, the gameplay and the game structure are boring and feel like "another generic JRPG". Some story arcs and cinematics are really nice, but the general pacing is terrible, especially when you start to re-visit the same areas again and again. The OST is really bad, making the presentation uneven.
-Resonance of Fate: I played 10 or so hours from this game when it released on the Ps3, it felt interesting but not that good. I remember that the game was visually boring and that the story never caught my interest.
-Radiant Historia PC: I liked the game for 20 hours or so, but the constant re-use of enemy sprites and areas killed my interest to see the ending. The combat system is really good, but it feels really slow, the constant switching between party members means that you are constantly underleveled, the time travel mechanics are nice but the game offers lots of sidequests that make you visit some specific place and moment and it can be really tiring... I think the first hours from the game are really strong (good music, good combat system, good dub, strong plot)... but as the game develops the plot and systems it gets tiring.

I think all the JRPGs on your list are good in some aspects, being P5 the best and DQ XI the worst, but the "good" games you recommend are heavily flawed too.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Dang, I disliked Octopath and Persona 5. Dumped 30 and 50 hours into them respectively and like the OP have mosrly decided I'm just over turn based JRPGs. Wish I could give Radiant Historia a go, but no 3DS and no interest in re-buying one as I disliked the hardware. Oh well, maybe it or a good sequel will hit Switch eventually. I'll look into Resonance of Fate though. Never heard of it before this thread.

DragoonKnight

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 12, 2018
Can't endorse the taste of folks who like Tri Ace jankiness, my view is that every game put down to bolster RoF in OP are better games than ROF, but everyone is entitled to an opinion i guess.

ROF has typical incomplete triAce storytelling. Surprisingly for a TriAce game it also has a repetitive, low depth combat system with limited options that only worked for the first 10 hours of the game because they gate gameplay defining systems based on progression, and a very obtuse system in terms of story/world progression (almost VP1 A ending levels at times).

At least, the characters are likable.

Last edited:

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I loved Dragon Quest 11 but quickly grew bored of Octopath Traveler. The formula in that game became too stale and not having connected story lines was a mistake IMO. I've heard good things about Trails in the sky and will play it after I finish Monster Boy and Darksiders 3.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Resonance of Fate is kinda shit(music and customisation is baller though) but Radiant Historia is alright.

The novelty of Resonance of Fates battle system wore off real fast for me and the story made not much sense to me.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I've heard good things about Trails in the sky and will play it
This is the right answer. It's a really good JRPG (especially the 2nd and 3rd games in the Sky saga) with strong world building and impressive writing for an JRPG. The graphics look old but it's the best classic style JRPG I've played in the recent years (the entire trilogy).

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
RH is a good game but very overrated. Resonance of Fate was one I'd say was definitely underrated last gen. Currently playing The Last Remnant and that games been a real surprise so far with how good it's been. Combat feels fresh and fast and fun every time. I loved Persona 5 though. Can't comment on OT yet since I haven't gotten it yet and waiting on DQXI on Switch first.

I highly recommend SMT4, Soul Hackers and 4:Apocalypse, those are the best Atlus games on 3DS that I've played.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Octopath Traveler, Dragon Quest XI, and Persona 5 are all great. Octopath Traveler is my GotY.

But Radiant Historia 3DS is fantastic and I think it has one of the best RPG dubs ever. It's nearly fully voiced and the performances are great. It's too bad it always get overlooked because of how late it released.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I don't agree with P5 being worse than Radiant Historia, but I still second it being amazing. The combat system and the story are top-tier.

I'm talking about the DS version though. Never tried the 3Ds one.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Hey look, we're back to OP's shitting on games unnecessarily when they really mean to say "many people really like these games, but it's just not for me"

I love every game in the title except for Resonance of Fate, which I've never heard of until now. Persona 5 is a top tier JRPG, I don't care what anyone else says.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
But Radiant Historia 3DS is fantastic and I think it has one of the best RPG dubs ever. It's nearly fully voiced and the performances are great. It's too bad it always get overlooked because of how late it released.
I think that even if the character portraits were updated in the remake, the graphics look fairly bad most of the time: low detail sprites, bad animations, even the most powerful magics look really boring... Audio in RH:PC is good (aside from enemy sounds), but visuals were barely touched from the DS version and it doesn't look good compared to most 3DS RPGs. So as you said there's an effort there, but it's all on the dub for some reason.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Do I have a deja vu or did we already have a thread of someone hating Octopath and extolling Radiant Historia?

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
It's understandable the dislike for DQ OST(I kinda feel a little meh), but it's not a reason to feel dissapointed about those games at all. Sounds more like a weird take just to downplay those games.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
I loved, loved, loved DQXI so much so that I got the platinum for it, my second ever in fact.

However, I agree entirely about Octopath, I bought it having entirely bought into the hype and I got 4 characters and just thought "Fuck, I have 4 more to find and I coudln't care less" I put it down and haven't touched it since and that was about a week after it launched.

I had Resonance of Fate on ps3 but never got around to beating it, is the 4K remaster worth picking up? I have been eyeing up that one and the re-release of Last Remnant which is a game I had on 360 but never finished because the game ran like absolute ass

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Didn't like P5 neither DQXI to my dismay... I'll take a look to Resonance. I tried Radiant quickly, not enough long to enjoy it I suppose.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are you for real? Resonance of Fate is fine but it isn't as strategic as it lets on. Once you get a right loadout you can bully your way through the entire game.

Also the story is goofy nonsense. Which is fine, but I don't see how it's inherently better than anything else.

Of the choices, I'd easily recommend DQ11.

Deleted member 47843

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
However, I agree entirely about Octopath, I bought it having entirely bought into the hype and I got 4 characters and just thought "Fuck, I have 4 more to find and I coudln't care less" I put it down and haven't touched it since and that was about a week after it launched.

Man I wish I'd done the same. I dumped 30 hours into it and had done all but one or two of the eight characters second chapters before walking away. The stories just weren't grabbing me at all, super boring sidequests, and the combat got stale fast and battles (especially bosses) last way too long and are way too frequent.

It's on me though as one of my gaming resolutions last year was to drop games faster after wasting 50 hours on Persona 5 before quitting.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Man I wish I'd done the same. I dumped 30 hours into it and had done all but one or two of the eight characters second chapters before walking away. The stories just weren't grabbing me at all, super boring sidequests, and the combat got stale fast and battles (especially bosses) last way too long and are way too frequent.

It's on me though as one of my gaming resolutions last year was to drop games faster after wasting 50 hours on Persona 5 before quitting.

Persona I loved, but the persona games have been my favourite games of all time, but yeah I know what you mean about Octopath, I bought into all the hype about it and was super excited and then it just let me down like a ton of bricks, garbage characters, story, battle system and graphics.

Deleted member 47843

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Persona I loved, but the persona games have been my favourite games of all time, but yeah I know what you mean about Octopath, I bought into all the hype about it and was super excited and then it just let me down like a ton of bricks, garbage characters, story, battle system and graphics.

I liked P4G, but just found P5 a slog. I didn't like the story and characters as much, found the time mechanic (forced sleep etc) more overbearing and the dungeons were too many and too long.

I do worry that I just don't like menu-driven, turn-based games anymore though. I've not finished one since P4G and even that I didn't like the combat and just pushed through for the story. I'm drifting more to visual novels where I can get those types of stories without slogging through combat. I'm loving The House of Fata Morgana currently.

Last edited:

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I liked Radiant Historia, but I had to turn the friendly mode later on Chapter 6(Standard Story).
I just got tired of the long encounters, just to grind and was feeling underleved. Even a mob was hard.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
I liked P4G, but just found P5 a slog. I didn't like the story and characters as much, found the time mechanic (forced sleep etc) more overbearing and the dungeons were too many and too long.

I do worry that I just don't like menuxdriven, turn-based games anymore though. I've not finished one since P4G and even that I didn't like the combat and just pushed through for the story. I'm drifting more to visual novels where I can get those types of stories without slogging through combat. I'm loving The House of Fata Morgana currently.

Maybe, I certainly have a lot less patience for them than when I was younger.

It used to be strategy RPGS I never had time for, like Tactics and Ogre Battle, then I fell into those Super Robot Wars games and just fell in love

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I put Radiant Historia down as soon as the first time travel thing involved performing a task in one timeline in order to inexplicably influence a different timeline, with no good explanation offered as to why that even works.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I finished Resonance of Fate this year on the PS3 and I think it's a bit overrated. The story is pretty boring and confusing sand the combat system, while really innovative, stylish and interesting, lacks some variety. In the end you beat every encounter with the same strategy (running in triangles). I wish we could get a sequel that optimizes the concept behind the combat.

Deleted member 47843

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Maybe, I certainly have a lot less patience for them than when I was younger.

It used to be strategy RPGS I never had time for, like Tactics and Ogre Battle, then I fell into those Super Robot Wars games and just fell in love

Yeah I've never liked SRPGS. Well Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates Birthright were ok on the easiest setting. I'm too mentally fatigued from work and life for mechanically-complex games thst require a lot of strategy and planning.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I disagree:

-OT: great gameplay and OST, good visuals and some dark themes in the main story that make it stand out compared to most JRPGs. But the game is repetitive, the main structure is flawed. It's a good JRPG IMO.
For me, the main problem of Octopath is how the characters don't interact too much in the story sequences. It feels so strange having four characters in your party and then, as soon as you start or continue a character arc, all others disappear. It disconnects me from the world.