• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/for-console-games-downloads-are-approaching-a-tipping-point/

...In an earnings call this week, Activision revealed that more than 50 percent of Destiny 2's sales on consoles came via download rather than on a retail disc. That's "a new highwater mark" for the company, and it's way higher than the "20 to 25 percent" of Call of Duty's console sales usually represented by digital copies, according to Activision (though Call of Duty World War II is seeing "higher digital preorders... relative to any prior Call of Duty title.") Even for online-focused games like the Overwatch and the original Destiny, only 30 to 40 percent of console sales usually come from downloads, the company said.

More importantly, Activision doesn't see Destiny 2's digital console majority as an outlier. As Activision CFO Spencer Neumann said in the earnings call, "historically, we've been seeing that digital mix increase at about five points a year." With Destiny 2's console digital majority, Neumann says, "we believe we're seeing some acceleration in that digital shift."...

There's more at the source. Not sure if it was posted but it's an interesting read.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Right before the other forums burned to the ground a lot of people were saying they would eat their hat if Destiny 2's digital sales were over 40 percent, let alone 50.

What are they to say now

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I still go physical for deeper discounts. I'd be more digital if console marketplaces were as diligent about reduced pricing as retailers.

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the concept of a digital storefront as I'm a PC gamer, but it's interesting to see how the consoles are evolving. I feel like a lot of times (on newer, non-indie titles) there's a deal on PS4 or Xbox One versions of games before so on Steam. I'm always wary about where I purchase PC games from.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a real shame and a horrible thing for the industry. Laws haven't caught up to digital yet. You don't own what you buy digitally. You can't sell it, you can't lend it, you are at the mercy of servers and licensing, you are price gouged.

If I have the option I'll always pay $48 for a physical game rather than $60 for a digital game.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Not surprising imo

There's quite a few reasons I switched to all digital with few exceptions, but the biggest for me and the people I talk to regardless of platform is always pre-loading.

No waiting for a disc to install, and no more having to go and wait at a midnight release or wake up the next day and take a drive to pick your copy up.

Just pre-order a couple days ahead of time and at midnight on release day, your good to go.

Deleted member 25671

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've done more and more digital, and I really love the convenience of it. The only downside (speaking in terms of PS4), are my worries that I'm not 100% sure my games will go over to the PS5.
(and yes I messed up my username cause I was so excited to sign up... oh well)

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Physical is the ultimate form of DRM.

I prefer physical, but only for a collector's sake. Otherwise I mostly buy digital these days, honestly. I still collect books and movies physically, I've given up on collecting physical games.
Physical currently has no DRM though?

Im talking about DRM which MS tried to do for physical copies in 2013

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I still buy physical, mainly because it's cheaper. I dont think that digital is easier/faster/lazier. I order a game and the launch day (or even earlier, I buy games in a store that sends game 2 days ealier than release date) I have that game in my house, with paying less than a digital copy.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Digital is easier, but overall I still prefer physical because you can sell it if you want to. Also, not having good internet like everyone else and their dog seems to makes digital a pain.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Luckily my data cap is well above even my highest month of usage. Been digital for a while now and I love it. Those with strict caps or terrible isp choices though, I feel for.

OP
OP
iceblade

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm with you pro-physical people. I'd only go digital if the discounts are really steep - otherwise physical is (for me) superior. Can sell it on, can have it in a collection (which is a big part of the fun - *looks at Squarehard*) and also once the servers go down you can still play the game.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
But I want the physical Box and disc to add it to my collection.
Besides digital games are more expensive than physical ones so always feels like a loss to me.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I used to be pure physical, but nowadays it's cheaper to buy digital then physical, least up here in Canada.

79.99 no tax on PSN, compared to 79.99 plus tax, which is 90 bucks on Amazon. Plus with digital you can play from midnight on, instead of waiting on a courier.

I still like physical due to the trade-in option, but more and more I'm finding myself buying digital more.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
I love digital, pretty much the only way to go for me (especially on switch)

It is just nice to be able to log into psn from work and buy a game that will be downloaded and installed by the time I get home.

I do miss the collecting aspect

bro_naldo

Oct 28, 2017
Have to agree, download size on consoles are crazy...

2 days ago i bought 2 games for the ps4, Wolfenstein new order and wolfenstein old blood. New order = 50 gb and old blood = 40 gb...

I need that portable HD asap...

Status
Not open for further replies.