• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
It pisses me off that paying $69.95 for the Marching Fire bundle doesn't unlock every character. 10000 steel each (or $49.95) extra is greedy as fuck.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It pisses me off that paying $69.95 for the Marching Fire bundle doesn't unlock every character. 10000 steel each (or $49.95) extra is greedy as fuck.
....Huh. I thought that was the whole point of buying it. (Well, except for that other mode.)

Nice to know it's more than just the Starter Edition users getting shafted, I guess.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So Shugoki is still bad?
:(

He's my favourite character by far, but he's just got progressively worse since release, which is incredible considering he was never really good to begin with. Playing as him now is a struggle.

If he gets a buff/rework, I'll jump back in.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy

The Marching Fire Edition is Base game + Marching Fire Expansion, so it's the original characters plus the 4 new ones + the arcade mode, and some trinkets maybe? Outfits I think.

The only thing missing is the year 1 season pass, but that's discounted heavily often - I'm sure they'll be a black Friday deal for super cheap. Grab that and don't worry about the steel unlocks, it'll be cheaper.

Anyway, I was most looking forward to a shaolin... his design is on point for me, but he's a bit too advanced to get good for me. I'm actually surprised at how fun JJ is to play, he's design is my least favorite but I had the most fun I've had since I lapsed out playing him over the weekend

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Shugoki is still bad?
:(

He's my favourite character by far, but he's just got progressively worse since release, which is incredible considering he was never really good to begin with. Playing as him now is a struggle.

If he gets a buff/rework, I'll jump back in.

They said reworking him is next on the agenda, so hopefully it won't wait.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I gank in elim because...well why not? 100% of the time that I do I always get messages on how dishonorable I am lol.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I gank in elim because...well why not? 100% of the time that I do I always get messages on how dishonorable I am lol.

Man, ignore those people. They're missing out. Brawl is a thousand percent more fun if you stop treating it like parallel duels and actually, y'know, BRAWL. Jumping into fights, falling back and swapping opponents, there's layers of strategy people ignore because of 'honor'.

Oct 28, 2017
The Marching Fire Edition is Base game + Marching Fire Expansion, so it's the original characters plus the 4 new ones + the arcade mode, and some trinkets maybe? Outfits I think.

The only thing missing is the year 1 season pass, but that's discounted heavily often - I'm sure they'll be a black Friday deal for super cheap. Grab that and don't worry about the steel unlocks, it'll be cheaper.

Anyway, I was most looking forward to a shaolin... his design is on point for me, but he's a bit too advanced to get good for me. I'm actually surprised at how fun JJ is to play, he's design is my least favorite but I had the most fun I've had since I lapsed out playing him over the weekend
I bought the marching fire edition because I assumed it was everything. Guess I shouldn't have expected Ubisoft to not be greedy for one second.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Is it me, or this game grind is worse than Siege? Started today with standard edition but all the mp modes give very few steel.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me, or this game grind is worse than Siege? Started today with standard edition but all the mp modes give very few steel.

I'd just do my daily orders and any other orders you feel like doing. After that, the steel income drops a lot, so if steel is a priority for you, it's diminished returns.

That said, I can grind out at least 200 steel/hour in Breach.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy

It's actually better overall but it's not match based, it's objective based... do the Orders and they give you like 500-2000 for special ones, and refresh every day. They say it's about 8 hours per Hero and Siege is closer to 12-15

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I got Centurion up to Rep 2 because that's where armor sets start looking good but I'm going to shelve him until there is an update. Landing mixups is fun but I can't seem to feint for shit and he seems a bit outclassed.

Picked up Highlander yesterday and I'm having an easier time.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got Centurion up to Rep 2 because that's where armor sets start looking good but I'm going to shelve him until there is an update. Landing mixups is fun but I can't seem to feint for shit and he seems a bit outclassed.

Picked up Highlander yesterday and I'm having an easier time.

Cent is wild but a bit low tier yeah. He requires a lot of soft feinting; instead of feinting, moving into another attack early. Aka cancels.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I did start doing something similar, a light or two when way out of range and then a heavy that could connect. I should carry that over to my other classes like Aramusha.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did start doing something similar, a light or two when way out of range and then a heavy that could connect. I should carry that over to my other classes like Aramusha.

The thing about Centurion is that his charged heavy can be cancelled at any point into a guard break. Sadly that's one of his only fun tricks. The tricky thing about that class is that when he's good he's absolutely overwhelming and impossible to deal with, but if he's even slightly nerfed he becomes basically low tier. They're going to have to come up with something clever to make him viable without being broken one way or the other.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I really need to get my PS+ sub back because this and Rocket League are absolutely my favorite online games!

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I've played on an off, and I haven't had as much fun since launch as I've had playin Jiang Jun.
I'm not even into Heavy class characters, but he's just got so many options and troll moves, he's fun. Especially against low Rep players.

That said, looks like the game has a steep black friday discount - it's like $10 for For Honor, and Marching Fire right now is only $20

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Breach queue pretty dead now? Just sat in queue for 4.5 minutes with nothing.

I can basically never find a match unless I'm playing the most popular mode.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Breach queue pretty dead now? Just sat in queue for 4.5 minutes with nothing.

I can basically never find a match unless I'm playing the most popular mode.

Been fine for me on PC. But you've got to remember it's Thanksgiving so it might not be as many people on as usual

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had any issue, really. Breach and Domionion are still very active. The other 4v4 not so much. What region/platform?
The Dominion queues are still pretty fast, it's just Breach that takes forever. NA/PC

Though Buttzerker brought up a good point, :re Thanksgiving. I wasn't considering that...

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nuxia cheese is fun. Tho once the opponent figures out your traps you're kinda SOL unless you only use lights

Cyros

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best platform to play on? I've somehow ended up with some version of this game on PC/XBOX/PS4.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is there any story content in the Fire expansion pack? How is the story content? Just started playing today. I picked the Peacemaker. She seems a little weak but maybe I just don't understand how to play yet. Gonna play through story mode in a bit.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is there any story content in the Fire expansion pack? How is the story content? Just started playing today. I picked the Peacemaker. She seems a little weak but maybe I just don't understand how to play yet. Gonna play through story mode in a bit.

No, there's not. This game has almost no story. It comes with a campaign that has some entertaining cutscenes at least.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can you fully unlock every character with steel? is peacekeeper a good character? I read that there's a rework coming.

How do you activate perks and abilities?

You can unlock everyone but the Wu Lin faction with steel. Gotta buy Marching Fire for that.

PK is strong but simple. Zone attack is crazy fast and can be cancelled midway through. Good character but a bit dull imo. Rework is indeed coming.

Feats and abilities unlock as you gain renown in a match. Killing opponents, killing minions, and capturing objectives will all unlock your feats. Feat 1 tends to unlock quickly. 4 takes work.

Perks are basically gear stats. You equip gear that contributes to that perk and if your total perkscore is above 600 you have that perk.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can unlock everyone but the Wu Lin faction with steel. Gotta buy Marching Fire for that.

PK is strong but simple. Zone attack is crazy fast and can be cancelled midway through. Good character but a bit dull imo. Rework is indeed coming.

Feats and abilities unlock as you gain renown in a match. Killing opponents, killing minions, and capturing objectives will all unlock your feats. Feat 1 tends to unlock quickly. 4 takes work.

Perks are basically gear stats. You equip gear that contributes to that perk and if your total perkscore is above 600 you have that perk.
Thanks for the info. I see that it says that I can unlock the Wu Lin faction with steel. Is that because it's a free period? What happens when that period ends and if a character is unlocked

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info. I see that it says that I can unlock the Wu Lin faction with steel. Is that because it's a free period? What happens when that period ends and if a character is unlocked

Oh my bad I think you can actually can buy them permanently with steel now.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all good m8. appreciate all the info. Know of any other upcoming characters or content the game is coming out with? What's the deal with Black Pryor?

They said we will be getting four new heroes this year including the black prior.

I haven't looked into their plans beyond that.

the prior is kind of like a mix between the warden and the conqueror but more complex. Very defensively oriented with countermoves, and bash attacks to punish enemy players who are too defensive. Is built around forcing your opponent to be aggressive and then being prepared to deal with it.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Diamond ranked duelist btw so I feel pretty confident in my character assessments. I was a training coach for a few professional players for a while.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How's the shinobi in duels? I'm really hoping for a Middle Eastern fighter set for some hashashin action

Highly considered tied with Aramusha the worst class in the game all around but this is mostly die to their fragility in 4v4s. My best friend mained shinobi and I was only slightly better than him.

Stronger in duels if you embrace both the melee and ranged part of their kit. Complex to use but I believe you can at least hit diamond with them.

4v4 is tougher but doable if you are cautious

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Everything in the game is available to unlock with Steel, no money needed. Except Arcade Mode, that's the only exclusive to Marching Fire Expansion.

Expansion is basically a season pass (instant access to a group of heroes) + Arcade Mode.

Though that's the only exception, all other modes have been free (all PVP maps and modes are free).

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to earn steel? I would like to save up for Black Prior and Shaolin. I only have 2200 atm.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way/match type to get renown in one match? I'm asking for the contracts. There's one that asks you get 600 renown in one match. So far I've managed to only pull 366