• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you want even bigger open worlds?

• Yes, I want to go to all the mountains in the distance

Votes: 72 7.8%
  • No, size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts

Votes: 371 40.1%
  • I have no strong feelings either way but wanted to vote in the poll anyway

Votes: 51 5.5%
  • It was never important to me

Votes: 270 29.2%
  • Bigger worlds are actually a turn off for me

Votes: 161 17.4%

• Total voters
OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
OP add another vote option on the poll that says "Bigger worlds are actually a turn off for me" and that would apply to me.

Give me a small-medium open world with great and fast traversal options (BotW, Spiderman) and I'm set. Give me a huge open world and make travel agonizingly slow and I'm out.

Done

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I used to marvel at "huge" open worlds but at some point hearing the description just made me feel tired. I could barely finish open world games as it was and now seeing them "bigger and better" just makes me think "I'll play it eventually"

I also think I'm just suffering from open world burnout. It'll be a while before I play another one.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have zero interested in having a huge open world just for hugeness's sake.

Oct 29, 2017
I like big worlds, but it was never about size alone, specially after Twilight Princess.

What I want is scale, which is not the same as having a big area, it is about having the right atmosphere. No point in having a huge map with 12 towns if each is just a kilometer apart if every town is 6 buildings you can interact with. Have instead two towns 9 kilometers apart and each with 20 buildings.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I had the idea because of that thread, but I'm not saying huge open worlds are a negative

System driven games are cool, but you don't need a huge game world for that

The original RDR had a police system that reacts to you committing crimes and travel time depended on how you travelled from A to B

You can make an amazing systemic game and not also have to have a huge map

My thread is asking about how much longer a huge map will be a selling point as maps get bigger and bigger, it's not about systemic games

I concede my point about detail/size was off the mark though
I mean in this day and age you really can't separate "systems driven" from "open world" because an increasing amount of open world titles are systems driven to the point that it's becoming synonymous with the term open world. And no, that statement doesn't imply that you have to have an open world game for it to be systems driven with an aim at player driven storytelling, just that that's a huge trend atm. We shouldn't talk about world size in isolation as world size is only one selling point of a title.

Not most that I've played tbh. Content and meaningful content are not the same.
Most have both. Going by how Era talks about open world games outside of OTs you'd think the majority of open world titles had procedurally generated quests as the vast majority of the content in the title.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I can't remember the last specific time map size has meant anything to me. RDRII, the Witcher III, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and GoW are recent examples of phenomenal map design that gives you plenty to do and look at while traveling from one area to the next. Size alone hasn't meant much to me since the PS2/Xbox/GCN generation.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this has never been a selling point for me. If you got a story to tell, tell it to me. I don't have the time or desire to sit through 3~4 somewhat similar play throughs for them to tell me something different.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
It never was important to me. Plenty of games being advertised as having the largest open world resulted in being boring as f*ck.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean in this day and age you really can't separate "systems driven" from "open world" because an increasing amount of open world titles are systems driven to the point that it's becoming synonymous with the term open world.

Sure, but that still has nothing to do with map size, a game can be systems driven and have a small map, a large map, or an average sized map

I know you raised system driven games because of BG&E2, but I'm talking about games using or even just making a massive map as being a priority. If the map size is required to take advantage of all the systems, then that's one thing, but often games have a bigger map than the last game because they just always have

I don't think that's a negative at all, I just wonder how much bigger maps will get, or for how much longer developers will use "the map is huge" as a selling point

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
When I hear open world now I hear "We've made a massive world, dotted with the same banal shit repeated a 100 times".
Don't get me wrong, open world games are some of my favorite in the past years but lately it's just a turn off.

Ubisoft just can't stop doing it.

I understand newer games are trying to be creative about it, but I'll end up mainlining the story.
It's when they make "Collect these 20 things dotted around the world" that has a story hook that actually ends up going nowhere and was just a massive con that annoys the fuck out of me. (Spiderman).

But completionists love it, doesn't matter if it's 5, 10 or 100 they just need to 100% it and for someone who doesn't give a single shit about it; it's annoying how pervasive it is in games now, to pad them out.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It was never a selling point to me. Not since like 2006 when Nintendo said it would take 45 minutes to gallop on Epona from one side of the map to the other in Twilight Princess. Too much emptiness.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's only a cool feature if there is meaningful stuff within the world.
The size of the open world doesn't matter.

Look at God of War.

That game had a TINY open world and was an absolute masterpiece.

Size without substance is just bloat, not a selling point.

ehh, I'd say in the case of God of War, a lot of those places were absolutely huge disappointments once you get there because they were so tiny. You think you're going to go see some amazing shit with Hel visualized in a game or Niflheim and holy shit was that a massive letdown once you actually do. I was literally punching through the game as fast as I could in anticipation to see how amazing Niflheim/Hel would be... oof.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Systemic interactions are always important to dissect and that goes hand in hand with critically assessing games, regardless of the scope of the game's world.

I find myself generally fatiguing of the systemic interactions in my favorite larger-scale world games faster than I do in my favorite smaller-scale world games.

Ghil

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought that size didn't matter as much as density in open worlds. I remember the days where MMOs where still battling on that ground, and we quickly learned that transit systems where obligatory as people would not put up with an empty world where the relevant points where so far in between.
Yes, on paper, the quote "you see a mountain, you can go climb it" is a genius marketing sentence. In reality though, Unless your game is very specifically about exploration, and that the journey to the mountain is also great, it really doesn't do much for gameplay purposes.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but that still has nothing to do with map size, a game can be systems driven and have a small map, a large map, or an average sized map

I know you raised system driven games because of BG&E2, but I'm talking about games using or even just making a massive map as being a priority. If the map size is required to take advantage of all the systems, then that's one thing, but often games have a bigger map than the last game because they just always have

I don't think that's a negative at all, I just wonder how much bigger maps will get, or for how much longer developers will use "the map is huge" as a selling point
Game design covers a wide swatch of different system interacting with each other. a cover shooter isn't just the cover system, it also includes the shooting part. A battle royal isn't just about having 100 players on a map, it's about several aspects like traversal, shooting mechanics, visibility, points of interest, etc. as such an open world isn't just about map size nor do devs just treat the advertising of a title as just about map size but also what you do.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Idk if it's a selling point on its own, but Xenoblade Chronicles X and Breath of the Wild are both games that got big pushes as being super huge compared to others and I loved those games. Guess it just depends?

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Forever lol I love big open worlds as long as the movement mechanics are good (That's why the newer AC games are amazing).

Oct 27, 2017
I much prefer a dense and detailed "closed" world then an open world. Open worlds are actually a turn off for me.

Take Remember Me for example. Say what you will about the game, but the world was rich and interesting and I much prefer it to most open worlds.

To me I see open world and I just figure that there's open space void of character, or Ubisoft bullshit like collectibles that I will never understand why someone would enjoy.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
It all depends on the game to be honest. I can't make a blanket statement one way or the other. If it is just for the sake of making it the biggest, then it's not a selling point. If it was made bigger to accommodate gameplay decisions or story decisions than it is a selling point to me

Like a game where I can fly airplanes/mechs/dragons or whatever around has to be bigger than one where I travel on foot most of the time

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it to be a turn off to me. RDR2 has a great big world but that didn't sell it to me. It was the experience of the story that hooked me. It see Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I groan because of how much a checklist UBISOFT games have become, very formulaic.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'd say it was around 2015 or so when I started to furrow my brow anytime a dev boasted about how big their open world was.

Fast forward to 2018 and it's about as far removed from a selling point as you can get.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
It stopped being a selling point after Elite for me.

Bragging how you can have millions of stars and how you can land on planets similarly causes eye rolls from me since Elite did it 3 decades before it became trendy.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Different people like different things.

My major concern is how much money is being sunk into making these "largest ever" games and the microtransaction systems that are incorporated as a measure to recoup the cost of development. Consequently, it begs the question of how it affects leverages the psyche of the players and how they interact with these systems.

Furthermore, budgetary requirements for these games (depending on the ambition) can not understated and as such how close to the precipice do the devs want to get to bet on the size factor for commercial success is another question.

Of course games have been, are and can have thoroughly exploitative mtx systems and large budgets even when they are not aiming to be the largest. It is simply a matter of odds.

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've began regarding the size of a world the same way I think of graphics. To me, good graphics are no longer a "feature." It's the art, design, and creativity that matters. Whether it's Mario Odyssey or God of War, as long as it meets a level of quality coupled with the aforementioned traits I'm in. Graphics for graphics sake is pointless, just like a huge world for it's own sake.

I will say, however, that a lot of games that brag about their huge open world do actually deliver on making them interesting as well, so I don't want it to look like I'm throwing shade at those claims.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It was never important to begin with. The best open world games are not the best because they are the biggest. They are the best because of the worlds they build and player agency/interactions.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Never been a selling point for me to begin with. If anything a developer bragging about the size of their world only makes me more skeptical as it makes me worry about the amount of content and how that content is spread around the world.

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft and its infinite sized but samey world ended the arms race for me. Then No Man's Sky proved to me that big-but-shallow world design had jumped the shark. It's now about density more than size in my mind. Make the world as big as your content demands. No bigger. No smaller.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
This stopped being a selling point around 2012/2013. Fill your world with interesting things to do and I don't care how "big" it is.

Horizon, for example, did not benefit at all from the size of its world, especially when the story missions were extremely linear. In fact it seemed antithetical to the rest of the game design. It should have been more corridored with open spaces, like God of War, and I bet it would have benefitted.

Senteevs

Oct 28, 2017
Latvia
The stories about how huge AC:Odyssey's map is turned me off of the game.
That's the main reason I won't be playing it. I have enough collectathons in my life.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never been a selling point. As soon as I hear the words "big world", I start assuming this game has a design intention that is likely not for me. Usually that means busy work, lots of filler, and the usual weaknesses that come along with open world games like poor storytelling, poor pacing, and a generally unengaging adventure.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ac oddessy is the biggest most detail open world game and it's probably too big for most people. I love the game but I can't play it all the time. I have to take breaks and play something else for a week.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean I am not coming at you OP. But you are asking this forum about open world games and we know how majority of people feel about them.
As for me Size does matter, its not the main thing, but you need to have negative space and actual flora and fauna /environment transitions between places like RDR 2 , Witcher 3 and do an extent AC Origins does. When you cram everything in smaller map, it does not feel like an actual world anymore it starts to feel like a video game that faking open world . I said this in the other thread but something like Horizon zero dawn does not feel like actual living breathing place for me due to how everything is so freaking close and combat encounters are on every god damn corner. Same for something like Mordor games . They feel like playgrounds but thats about it

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
It is not that important tbh. BoTW has a huge world, that most of the times is empty, but somehow interesting to explore. Having thousands of things to do per square meter is not also a good metric, but if you are going to make a big world, make interesting looking places to go an explore.

Nov 17, 2017
Idk if it's a selling point on its own, but Xenoblade Chronicles X and Breath of the Wild are both games that got big pushes as being super huge compared to others and I loved those games. Guess it just depends?
Yeah, same here. I loved both those games in part because the worlds were so big. I think seeing something far in the distance and the adventure you get into on the long way there is one of the most fun things to do in a game. Xenoblade X and BotW were both so good about this and it works so well. I think both games would be weaker if their worlds weren't as big as they were.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Playing Divinity: OS II right now and it manages to feel vast and tightly packed despite being a fraction of the size of other games. It's not an open world, in the modern sense, but is seamless enough to feel like one and comparable to something like Morrowind in terms of its layout. I've already put over forty hours in and it still feels like there's masses to explore.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No after No Man's Sky, which I loved and am waiting for the VR patch, It doesn't matter how big a universe is. Sometimes too big and too detailed is overwhelming. Like The Witcher 3 I can only play in spurts because its too detailed and too much to do. MGSV has the best approach to open world so far IMO. A huge world designed around fun gameplay systems. Not tourist checklists like most open world games.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
A big reason I like open worlds is exploration. In alot of my favourite open world titles the world is the primary draw.

The bigger the world the more nooks to explore. For example was still finding interesting places in GTA V dozens of hours into the game. But that kind of open world relies on designers to put the nooks and crannys in.

lot of games fail at the small details that keep large worlds interesting.

Then you have games like Just Cause 4 where the environment is just a pretty thing to look at and a traversal obstical for the player. It needs to be big because you can move huge distances in that game very quickly.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
The size of the game world really isn't particularly important to me. What matters is filling it with meaningful content.

Kamurocho from Yakuza works particularly well for me because despite being relatively small, they manage to make it feel dense, and new optional events triggering as you wander around help bring it to life. It's not massive, but it feels alive, and that's much more important.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm tryin to think of the last time i fell for it. It's been awhile.

Edit: there's times it's worked out great! But im talking about when i would simply hear the brag from marketing and think that it meant a good game.