• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you want even bigger open worlds?

• Yes, I want to go to all the mountains in the distance

Votes: 72 7.8%
  • No, size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts

Votes: 371 40.1%
  • I have no strong feelings either way but wanted to vote in the poll anyway

Votes: 51 5.5%
  • It was never important to me

Votes: 270 29.2%
  • Bigger worlds are actually a turn off for me

Votes: 161 17.4%

• Total voters

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
It was never important for me. That's what I voted, but size not mattering as much as what you do with it also rings true. And the larger the world, the less effectively that space is usually used, which in and of itself is a turn-off, so the last option also applies. I'd vote all three if I could.

May 26, 2018
It hasn't been for a while. I only have so much time to play a game. I'd rather a world be compact and interesting than anything else.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
It was a cool thing a few years ago, I think the last time that hit me was Zelda, but that was more about the feel/design of the world than the sheer size of it

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If you don't like a thread, ignore it, or don't participate in it

The mods here do a good job of locking threads that do not promote good discussion or that break the rules

You don't have to like my threads but this is petty thread whining, and I've seen enough posts from you that are informed, insightful and interesting to know you can do better than this, so if you don't think this is worth your time, stop dedicating time to it
You're right, instead i'll offer a video that argues in the favor of larger open worlds and how that can affect design in a positive way:

Introspection in the middle of a well realized digital space is an amazing feeling.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You're right, instead i'll offer a video that argues in the favor of larger open worlds and how that can affect design in a positive way:

Introspection in the middle of a well realized digital space is an amazing feeling.

Cool video, and introspection in the middle of a well realised digital space is an amazing feeling, I agree

The video does literally say in the first 40 seconds that map size is used as a bullet point on a press releases, then gives 4 examples of the kind of thing publishers say regarding map size, which is what I'm talking about in the OP

I would also say the video is arguing for better UI more so than bigger worlds, as the games he uses both have amazing worlds that are in some ways undermined by quest icons and markers that take the player out of the world, and you can do this in theory with smaller open worlds too

I know Ubisoft have made great leaps with this in Assassin's Creed with exploration mode in Odyssey (and as someone currently 25 hours into Syndicate, after playing Unity earlier in the year, they made improvements from Unity to Syndicate too)

Unity doesn't have a map anywhere near the size of the newer games, but with tweaks to the UI you could make quiet spaces in that game work as well as in the newer ones. You could argue Syndicate achieved that from Unity with the fewer map icons

You can also look back to open world games on the PS2 and see that some used quiet spaces well too. Driving across to the 2nd major city at night in San Andreas for the first time had this effect, and that game has a much smaller map compared to 2018 open world games

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
As a busy dad of two, massive open world collectathons are actually a turn off for me now. I'd rather smaller more focused open worlds with meaningful side content.

Quality over quantity.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it never has and never will

infact saying it has an open world at all is a huge turn off

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Just Cause 2 was probably the last time I was really hyped because of the world size, it's not really a factor either way for me nowadays. Fine either way, though if you are going to have a big ass world, you better have good movement or be extremely immersive or I'd probably get burnt out and just speed through the story eventually.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are several games this year I have avoided simply because they're likely too big, and I don't want to be forced to spend forever on them. I really wantee to play AC Odyssey, but it's just too big.

I really wish devs would shift their focus to something else.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This poll is dumb because the answers aren't mutually exclusive.

Yes, I want to go to all the mountains in the distance, and no, the size of the map isn't the end all, be all.

I love large maps, and I love maps with a ton of things to do. So you bet your ass I'd love the biggest map ever with a ton of shit to do.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Really depends on the dev and whether they can fill it with meaningful content. CDPR? Sure, make it bigger. Ubi? Mmmm....maybe not.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Open worlds are getting bigger and bigger, and they've been used as a selling point for well over a decade now

"X will have the biggest open world ever"

Some recent games have had massive open worlds, and the chances are those in the next decade will have even bigger maps

So my question is, is this always going to be the case or do you think things will start to get too big?

Do you find massive open worlds a selling point, or is it more likely to put you off? Do you want even bigger maps in the future, or would you rather have smaller worlds with more detailed maps?

Does your opinion change if we're talking about SP or MP or shared world games specifically?
I think quality curation and system design is more valued that sheer size. My first thought when I hear "X game is so big...." is what's in it?

Elite: Dangerous is a great example, because it's literally the size of the Milky Way galaxy, but critical reception wasn't the same as BOTW.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This hasn't been a selling point to me since the original Assassin's Creed came out. Huge world, not much to do in it.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was never a selling point.

Nonetheless I think Xenoblade X has still the biggest open world and the most beautiful.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I'm kind of burning out on Open World designs to be honest. I loved it in the Witcher 3 or BOTW, but playing through Origins now is becoming exhausting. I'm looking forward to wrapping it up and playing some tighter designed level-based games to cleanse the palate.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Couldn't give a shit these days, most recent offended was breath of the wild, such a vast openness of fuck all

Dec 6, 2017
US
Active turn-off for me.

I don't have the time, interest nor energy for this style of game personally. I don't get anything out of staring at beautiful vistas while barely engaging. It's gorgeous and I admire the artistry but I'll stick to screenshots. RDR2 was the final nail in the coffin for me honestly.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
All depends on what content fills it, otherwise it may as well be Daggerfall

I think GTA San Andreas, Red Dead 2, Fallout NV have great worlds that successfully meshed interesting density/stuff to do with open spaces to space those things out. If a team can somehow create a huge and compelling map, I'm all for it. Exploring is my favorite thing to do in these open world games and I love being rewarded for it.

Last edited:

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
It's what developers do with the world. Just having a big empty world doesn't get me excited about your game.

SHAQ

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, Florida
If the open world is like Xenogears X in the scope of size, I'm all for it. Ultimately I'm looking for details more than anything.

I'm hoping for a Bully 2 with a small town fully detailed and realized. So I guess it depends on the scope.

Oct 27, 2017
Not any more. Just means I have to waste more time trying to get to what I'm trying to do instead of just doing it. One of the gripes I had with AC: Odyssey.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about the size for me. It's your travel options, and how fun it is to explore.

I loved Spiderman and did pretty much everything in it not because the world was big or full of stuff to do, but because it was incredibly fun going from point A to point B.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Never was; never will be.

My gaming time is limited, so I actively look for experiences that will utilize my time well.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Zelda has been the only one world game that has gotten it right for me personally. I was free to do what I want. Didn't have fetch missions or a set path from point to point. And the world was interesting.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
After playing Zelda BotW, I think I've hit max capacity on the whole open world thing. Announcements of open worlds potentially bigger than that now get a big "ehhhhhhhh...." from me. I'd be all for downsizing and more curated experiences.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
usually bigger the world, the emptier it is. the only exceptions to that are the games that were polished to to the t. (red dead 2, witcher 3 etc)

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I think the poll options are a bit loaded.
Obviously I don't want big maps for the sake of them being big, but I do enjoy it when a game provides you with a real sense of "scale". AC origins really impressed me in that regard. Not only was the map big, but it was filled out in a belivable way. AND, there was plenty to do and find.

Then there's racing games. No fucking doubt in my mind that Forza Horizon would be even more amazing if it had bigger maps.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
The size of the world isn't important it's what you fill it up with, look at Ghost Recon Wildlands that map is huge but after you take out the bosses in a couple of areas you just end up doing the exact same thing over and over again.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Never, saying you have a giant world map if anything just makes me brace for the inevitability of how much filler the game is going to have.
Chasing the idea of 'infinite content" is certainly an ambitious goal, but the problem with most open world games is how they engage with the player and how the actual interesting bits of gameplay are spread so far apart.

To give an example; I've played MGS3 probably 10+ times through in my life and have 100% it each time. I hold it in high regards. On the other end of the spectrum I've 100% MGSV once and plan to never play it again, even though it plays like a dream and the gameplay is way better. With a title smaller in scope that offers a linear experience, I finish the game loving it and wanting more. Open world design on the other hand is there until you get tired of it, its a front loaded experience that's meant to hook you in until you hate playing it.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Size ain't shit, I enjoyed Skyrim and Witcher 3 way more than Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, even though they both have much bigger maps.

Oct 26, 2017
With BotW we have achieved big enough IMO. After 80 hours any games mechanics will get stale no matter how good they are at the start. There are also some pretty good infinite universes like No Mans Sky that have basically achieved maximum practical size. So claiming 'biggest open world' cannot be true since No Mans Sky already is that. Biggest handcrafted open world perhaps, but again BotW already practically achieved that too.

TLDR: I like large handcrafted open worlds, but infinite universes have already been realized. "How big" is no longer an interesting question. "How rich and full and thoughtful" is the new question.

You provided a TLDR for 3 sentences. SMH

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The problem has always been that people associate world size with number of options. I know tons of linear or semi linear games that have a lot more complex gameplay and interactions than many popular open world games.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It hasn't been for awhile. Ever since the first assassins creed where it had this huge, boring, empty world I haven't cared about this. It's why I greatly prefer GoW over red dead 2. Red dead has an absolutely massive open world but GoW's packed every inch with something unique and creative. I never had these huge stretches where nothing was happening. I also don't like just cause because it's just the same recycled thing over and over and after I destroyed a few bases I got bored as hell

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Size for size's sake isn't exciting. And honestly, after Red Dead, give me a smaller world/game, please.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be more interested in a openworld that is fully fleshed out.

Every NPC has a routine. a path. sometimes they are randomly not doing their routine.

I'd like to see towns/settlements get better and improved as a result of your actions. or the opposite endof the spectrum. a ghost town to dilpidation and the issues that arrise from it.

I would like to see reactions to you. I would like thoughtful quests that are not, follow the magic glowing circle to the next part. I would like to see, stake out quests. I would like to see weird treasure maps, and directions. Follow the road until you see the hanged man rock, turn left at the fork in front of it, and walk until the Dreary eyed tree wanes and the creatures of the night sing. then, go to where nothing sings. there is your destination.

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Never was a selling point to me, as many of my favorite sand-boxes fit into the Hitman or Prey-sized experiences. Denser with more varied things to do and interact with is always the better approach to me. If you can create that density at a larger scale like I think the Witcher 3 pulled off by having side-content worth doing...great. A few other games have also proven their scale was justified, but more open-world games just don't, and I end up picking content not to do.

Claiming your game is going to be even bigger than last time, much less bigger than any other game, only makes me worry that there will be a decent amount of filler I have to watch out for.