• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For my main console I prefer

• I will buy the better hardware first, I play non exclusives the most

• I will buy the hardware with the most/best exclusives first even if it plays third party games worse

• I only play exclusives so power doesn't matter, won't buy another system unless it has exclusives

• I only play 3rd party games so exclusives don't matter won't buy two systems

• I buy everything Day 1 no matter what.

• I buy whatever is cheaper regardless of performance or exclusives

• I let my friends decide then buy one, who cares

Results are only viewable after voting.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
So many times on Era and elsewhere I see people say or allude to the phrase "Only Exclusives matter" or "X System has no game" or "Power isn't important"

I just don't believe that's true, I think Sony won this time because they had both plus price in their favor at the beginning, I love Sony 1st party, I am indifferent to Nintendos first party, I am okay with Microsofts first party with that said I don't only play exclusives. I will always own all three systems no matter what but I will always play more third games then first party, even if I play all of Sonys stuff their are still more third party games I will play overall so power matters, I want my third party games to look and run the best they can.

What do you care about, are there really people who only buy a console because it has the most exclusives, are there people who don't play any third party games?

PS: I wanted to include a "other factor" option but needed one more spot and couldn't so just make a choice that best fits you.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the console meets a base level of performance (it's not gonna compete with my PC anyways), exclusives are my priority, especially given Sony's recent output.

OP
OP
defaltoption

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I buy Sony consoles because you pretty much get everything.
Do you typically only buy the Playstation or do you end up with more than one by the end of a gen? For example, could Microsoft sway to them first then Sony second, or is it just not possible no matter what 1st party or performance they have even if better.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pc is better anyway, i'd just it for exclusives

theshortbaker

Nov 30, 2017
Start with the Play Station console due to games, quality over quantity etc. and will then eventually buy the others when features/games that I want are offered.

Will start with PS5 due to PS4 backlog and its BC, will pick up the Scarlett at a later date, pending Xboxs release titles

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
If I had to choose one this gen I'd pick PC by far. Sony had a bunch of amazing of exclusives but that's still only a handful of titles, no way I'm playing literally everything else on PS4 hardware.

OP
OP
defaltoption

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Start with the Play Station console due to games, quality over quantity etc. and will then eventually buy the others when features/games that I want are offered.

Will start with PS5 due to PS4 backlog and its BC, will pick up the Scarlett at a later date, pending Xboxs release titles
Yea that's reasonable they have great games, I just don't understand when or why people would close off Nintendo or Microsoft no matter what, like Sony didn't always only put out hit after hit. But yea I get the whole ecosystem thing, I think Microsoft chose a bad gen to mess up because of that. Unless of course its for financial reasons, like they only can or choose to afford one, that's understandable too.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Do you only buy the playstation, just curious, like is it at all possible for Nintendo or Microsoft to get you there or just plain no?

I bought a Switch too this gen and it honestly is one of my biggest regrets, mainly due to the shitty joycon drift but also Nintendo products aren't really supported in my country, don't really care about Xbox.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Best exclusives are my first choice, so PS4 and Switch this gen. Most probably PS5/Switch/PC for next year.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Do you typically only buy the Playstation or do you end up with more than one by the end of a gen? For example, could Microsoft sway to them first then Sony second, or is it just not possible no matter what 1st party or performance they have even if better.
No chance in hell for me, I have a PC, and even then I don't really care about Xbox exclusives (other then a bit of Forza Horizon).

So I voted for third option, I only care about PS exclusives, all the rest on PC, unless some real rare case like RDR2 on PS4 Pro.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I voted better hardware first, but I'm not actually sure yet. Like the OP, I will probably buy both anyway.

What I can say is that I won't buy any console at launch, and will see how things play out first. If the power gap between PS5 and Nextbox is small, I'm likely to go for the PS5 first, but my favorite console this gen is the Xbox One X, so it's hard to say.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's kind of about ecosystem. I'm invested in Sony. Not in like a fan boy console wars kind of way but just the Sony console tends to get more Japanese games that I'm interested in so that is where I tend to go because my interest in games tend to lead me to more Japanese developed games.

OP
OP
defaltoption

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I bought a Switch too this gen and it honestly is one of my biggest regrets, mainly due to the shitty joycon drift but also Nintendo products aren't really supported in my country, don't really care about Xbox.
Yea I bought a switch right when it came out and regretted it since Ive only ever bought Nintendo systems for Pokemon which of course hasn't released yet, I should've waited and just started with the switch lite. Hopefully Microsoft does really well next gen though so we get more good games in general.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The only thing MS makes that I like is gears, and I ain't buying a console just for one game. They don't offer anything else I want.

Performance doesn't mean much to me. For example in the 6th gen, I had a beefed up pc, but I still played everything on the ps2. Pc was only used for exclusives.

I do end up getting Nintendo handhelds but end up terribly disappointed in them.

OP
OP
defaltoption

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
For me it's kind of about ecosystem. I'm invested in Sony. Not in like a fan boy console wars kind of way but just the Sony console tends to get more Japanese games that I'm interested in so that is where I tend to go because my interest in games tend to lead me to more Japanese developed games.
Absolutely that's huge, ecosystem is very important, Microsoft chose a tough gen to lose with online and digital gaming becoming so prevalent, hopefully next time around they have amazing games to make up for it, I want everyone to do well.

OP
OP
defaltoption

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I voted better hardware first, but I'm not actually sure yet. Like the OP, I will probably buy both anyway.

What I can say is that I won't buy any console at launch, and will see how things play out first. If the power gap between PS5 and Nextbox is small, I'm likely to go for the PS5 first, but my favorite console this gen is the Xbox One X, so it's hard to say.
This is exactly where I'm at as well, Xbox One X is amazing but I love Sonys games, so power will probably decide where I go first, but I'll get to everyone eventually.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I by the console that gives games because that's what I buy consoles for and PlayStation has not failed me for 4 iterations.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ticked 'buy everything day one' which is mostly true. I buy everything. Haven't missed a console since... I dunno? I've got every console basically. Not always strictly day one but I always have, and play, everything. I guess I didn't get an Ouya. But apart from that every platform has games I wanna play.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
When I was just a console player, it was about which console had the best performance. All my favorite developers were independent or under third party publishers (Arkane, IO, BGS, From Soft, etc).

Sony seems to make 2-3 games a generation that interest me. Microsoft is all over the place (from more than that to just 2 this generation). Nintendo I've never had an interest in at all. None of them really push my buying interests via exclusive software.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I really don't think we're going to see notable differences between the next consoles. Things will be even closer than they were with the XB1 and PS4.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mainly a PC gamer so when I buy a console I buy whatever has the most exclusives that interest me.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
You spend 99% of your time playing the 3rd party stuff. Not to mention launch exclusives suck generally. Best performance all the way.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly in this hobby because of Nintendo, so naturally it's the exclusives that matter to me.

Indies just keep getting better and better though, but Switch and PC cover them all.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Exclusives. Mostly PlayStation, but I have em all (3). I hate missing out on new games cause I don't have the platform. I will always and forever have a PS as long as they make em... But, I need certain fixes that they don't have, like (2d)Zelda and what not.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm a PC gamer, I have a Switch and PS4 for exclusives and that's it.
Same here, as Microsoft has decided to release all the games on PC I can play my Gears on PC too, so I only buy Switch or PS4 non-exclusive games when the PC ports are bad tbh.

Only system I buy day one (PC doesn't follow this logic) now are Nintendo systems, as usually they come with a big 1st party game (TP, BotW...) but in the case they don't (like 3DS) I can wait.

I prefer having most of my games on PC, and as Nintendo is the only company that offers enough 1st party games to justify buying the system only to play them is always my 2nd choice.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I stick with Nintendo's hardware because I like their games the best, but I'm no fanboy. If I had more free time (and more money) I'd easily own every goddamn platform and game I could get my hands on.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Power isn't important to me, convenience is, which is why I preferred handheld to consoles in the past and why I primarily make use of my Switch over my PS4. I play way more third party on my Switch than my first party but I wouldn't say I prefer one or the other just whatever's out and to my tastes at the time. Sony's first party games don't interest me at all.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
I use to buy for best 3rd party fidelity previously. But I've never been less interested in what Ubisoft + EA + Bethesda have been offering with so many going hard at GAAS or uninspired open world games. I have spent more time playing exclusives than 3rd party this gen.

so I guess whichever console exclusives look most interesting to start? But i'll Get all three eventually.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This gen Switch was the best hardware for me, due to it's versatility.

Each system would have more than enough exclusive and multiplat games to play.

If I cared about performance so much pc would be my primary platform, and it's been at other points in time

Nov 30, 2017
I play games that appeal to me. They dont have to have a label of 3rd or 1st party.

Im not loyal to companies, I work to hard for my money and I just buy or play what I like.

Warriors are the absolute worst thing about gaming.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playstation. The Last two gens I got Xbox consoles day1 and PS consoles late into the gen but always ended up enjoying the PS consoles way more. Last time I was day 1 with a Sony console was PS2. I plan to be back on the PS Day1 train with the launch of Next Gen and then stay PS only.

Power is not so important to me, I also own an X which I barely use, and will buy most multiplats on PS4 Pro.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
None of those options reflect why PC is my main gaming machine, and that is flexibility. Simply put, on PC you can get things that in consoles you can't, including a wide variety of input methods, in-depth settings so you can get the visuals-performance balance you want, backwards compatibility going back decades, mods and more competitive pricing while buying games. Also you can play genres that are pretty much off-limits on consoles, like a wide variety of strategy and sim games.

My second gaming machine is usually a Nintendo one, since their exclusives usually give you gaming experiences you can't get anywhere else. Right now PC + Switch is the golden combo for me.