• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I feel like this isn't exactly news.

18, though? 18 is half my age now. An 18yo can catch my eye when passing me by on the street, sure, but that's that.

So, it's 50 for men, eh? So this means, I'm still far from my peak desirability. Phew! And here I was, thinking that part of my life was finally behind me, lol.

Jokes aside, it's very much known that men prefer young(er) women. Believe what you want about societary changes, we still have hard-wired natural instincts in us. Men look for fertility, women look for protectors and providers. It's all about those genes. If you reject this and manage to silence their call, more power to you.

Other findings from the article:

Speaking of earning potential, Dr. Bruch also found that a man's desirability increased the more education he attained.

For women, that benefit ended with an undergraduate degree — and postgraduate education, in fact, made them less desirable
Your ego doesn't go away when you're in a relationship. This is true for both men and women. It's teamwork after all, and both want to contribute something. Not being able to bring something significant into this teamwork can be awfully frustrating, and lead one to question their role and their worth in the relationship.

In today's society, where a man's physical strength is rarely called to action both in everyday life and in emergencies, I can see how a man can think he's got nothing to put on the plate of the relationship. The line of thought here is: "if a woman can completely provide for herself, what use would I be to her in a day-to-day relationship? She can find a better man; she doesn't even need to have a man".

Call it insecurity and fragility, if you will. Sometimes, it is. Sometimes, though, it's just the plain truth: you can't think of something concrete you could contribute to the relationship, so you rather look for someone that may "need" you on some level. And for men, a young(er) woman who still has to complete her education (or never did/will) is the easy choice - and this is regardless of age.

Is it selfish? Sure. But as I said, ego doesn't magically take a step back when a significant other enters the picture. I think we all experienced that providing some material goods makes you feel better. Remember how proud you felt when you gave that DIY present to your parents as a child, undecipherable mess that it probably was? No matter how much you loved your folks and how much they loved you even if you didn't do anything for them, you still felt it'd be better if you could do something concrete for them. And that's true when you're a grownup, too. Who doesn't love to surprise their family with a dinner, or with tickets to a vacation? Why do we still give flowers to significant others? We want to do something for the ones we care for; we want to give. Feelings are necessary, but impalpable; everyday chores are soon taken for granted. So I can understand how a man could dismiss a woman with higher education and better life perspectives than him. He thinks he can't bring anything meaningful into the picture. And, of course, the truly fragile types will think that she'll leave them as soon as she finds a better venue.

This is a man's perspective, of course. Haven't read past half of page 1 so far, but I hope we can have more than the usual "male fragility", "misogyny" and "creepy/disgusting" one-liners these threads are usually full of.