• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for making this thread OP. After yesterday I was definitely thinking about this.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't one guy and it wasn't just one guy in some PR department

More people still pushing this idea that it was some dumbass intern who made the idea of going to 8ch, you know you could at LEAST put some fucking effort in searching the names of people involved in this

Cause there are names

Not to mention that under this logic, every time you dont buy X game from X company you are "punishing" those devs.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
More than just "one comms guy".

These developers have PR too, they can release statements. None of them have though, so they will not be seeing a red cent from me.

It wasn't one guy and it wasn't just one guy in some PR department

More people still pushing this idea that it was some dumbass intern who made the idea of going to 8ch, you know you could at LEAST put some fucking effort in searching the names of people involved in this

Cause there are names

whether it was a single guy or 10, whether i can name them or not, the 8chan thing wasnt the developer's fault. so my point still stands, no boycott.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Not to mention that under this logic, every time you dont buy X game from X company you are "punishing" those devs.
If that's the case then every underperforming game is just the ignorant consumer punishing hard working people for not showing interest!!!!!

Slimeballs in this thread

whether it was a single guy or 10, whether i can name them or not, the 8chan thing wasnt the developer's fault. so my point still stands, no boycott.

...no one said it was the developers fault. We can all agree that it wasn't their fault

It's not our fucking responsibility as consumers to think about the developer in this instance, it's the publisher's. Whether they succeed or flounder is wholly dictated by the publisher, and shit like supporting terrorism apologists is a pretty damming reason why these devs will flounder

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-by Trolling
I aint boycotting shit. If i want to play the games i'll buy it

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
any money I gave to Shenmue III via Kickstarter was presumably long since spent before the THQ stuff ever happened so I don't feel too guilty about that

I feel sorry for the devs who had no idea what upper management was playing at but THQ Nordic really needs to do SOMETHING. They needed to before, but ignoring it now is downright evil. Making that known with your wallet really is the best way to go about it.

Really hope Atlus and Sega look elsewhere for European publishing partners.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still getting PoE 2. Obsidian can't do anything to change the publisher since it is contracts.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
JofnX0a.png

Oct 30, 2017
Eh, I backed Shenmue's Kickstarter which went to the devs to make the game anyway, so I get my copy when it releases so it ain't like I'm buying it at retail when it gets published by Deepsilver.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

I am boycotting shit.

They are unhealthy and they stink even if they are mine.
I do not have any problems shoving manure though if i get to spent half an hour under a very hot shower afterwards.

Another thing that also stinks like shit or worse even is supporting nazis, pedophiles and murderers but one have to boycott shit to understand why they have to boycott companies that associate themselves with nazis, pedophiles and murderers because this is more important than videogames.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not buying any of those games, but it might make some sense for you all to reach out to the devs of the games you were going to buy, and let them know the deal. Get them to put some pressure on THQ as well.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017

If that's the case then every underperforming game is just the ignorant consumer punishing hard working people for not showing interest!!!!!

Slimeballs in this thread

there are bad games that dont deserve my interest, then there are fuck ups like these that have nothing to do with the dev cycle of a game.

sorry for not acting with anger and without thinking about the consequences of my actions or whom they harm

It's not our fucking responsibility as consumers to think about the developer in this instance, it's the publisher's. Whether they succeed or flounder is wholly dictated by the publisher, and shit like supporting terrorism apologists is a pretty damming reason why these devs will flounder

first of all, in almost every case, the consumer always have partial responsibility for the state of the industry. and in THIS case, i dont think boycotting is the correct way to get what we want (we all want the same thing i assume)

anyway, i said what i wanted to say, im out before this turns into a feedback loop

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I was really interested in both Biomutant and Metro Exodus. Given the latter has had a physical release, would it be fair to buy the game used (literally would be my first in nearly a decade)?

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
More than just "one comms guy".

These developers have PR too, they can release statements. None of them have though, so they will not be seeing a red cent from me.

If each studio were to comment on the issue, things would no doubt get worse for everyone.

Speaking out against the publisher sounds like a perfect way to jeopardize funding for development and get the marketing budget slashed.

What's more important for these developers? Shipping their games or distancing themselves from THQN and having nothing to show for it?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Do we know if that covers both digital and physical? I can only find the initial announcement for the deal covering physical copies of the PC release, while digital was still w/ Versus Evil, but nothing that mentions they are handling the entire console version which may be the same situation.

THQ shouldn't be involved with the digital versions of PoE2:Deadfire on consoles...but I don't think we can say we're absolutely 100% sure at the moment. When they first announced it they said Versus Evil and Obsidian were doing the publishing with Red Cerberus doing the port, and then later added that Grip Digital was also somehow involved.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Done and done (except for the money they already got from me in the past I guess).

That was easy. Plenty of other games to enjoy.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
there are bad games that dont deserve my interest, then there are fuck ups like these that have nothing to do with the dev cycle of a game.

sorry for not acting with anger and without thinking about the consequences of my actions or whom they harm

first of all, in almost every case, the consumer always have partial responsibility for the state of the industry. and in THIS case, i dont think boycotting is the correct way to get what we want (we all want the same thing i assume)

anyways, i said what i wanted to say, im out before this turns into a feedback loop
Do you want to suggest a better course of action?

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen it said in other threads and it's important to say here - consumers boycotting THQ Nordic isn't punishing the developers, THQ Nordic is punishing their developers.
This is definitely true, but the reality is that this could also result in those studios closing or not having a sequel. In definitely down for boycotting everything except Shenmue III, I have to support Yu Suzuki and all the hard work his team has been putting in.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I sympathize with a boycot, but not buying some of these Atlus games is almost unthinkable.
You can always buy used if you really want to play a game but didn't want to contribute money to Deep Silver/THQ.

anyways, i said what i wanted to say, im out before this turns into a feedback loop
So do you buy every single game ever made then? Since if you weren't then every game you don't buy is a lost sale that could put a developer out of business no?

But of course you just came into this thread to do your drive-by and bail.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
If each studio were to comment on the issue, things would no doubt get worse for everyone.

Speaking out against the publisher sounds like a perfect way to jeopardize funding for development and get the marketing budget slashed.

What's more important for these developers? Shipping their games or distancing themselves from THQN and having nothing to show for it?
Then they should be pressuring their publisher contacts to get THQ to take action.

Nov 28, 2017
Well, I definitely support the boycott and all who decide to take part in it.
After looking through the list of games, there isn't a single one that interests me anyway, so my boycott is already in effect, however accidentally that is.
But I will definitely pay attention not to support any of their future games.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Easy boycott, I'm fine with not playing Shenmue 3 if it means not giving them money.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You think companies care about your constructive comment of a video game forum? They care about money so speak the language they understand and boycott.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I sympathize with a boycot, but not buying some of these Atlus games is almost unthinkable.
I suppose you could just import or buy from the US PSN (or your platform's equivalent) if you're in Europe and want a game they published there. I don't think anyone would find you a hypocrite for supporting a completely different publisher that is handling the same title in another region.

Yeah I'm not sure about the Bloodstained mentions since 505 is the publisher for the game. I've admittedly not followed the game much so I don't know if they funded the development in some way.
I assume people are just mistaken, because there were rumors of Deep Silver publishing this early on, but 505 has been the publisher since it was revealed, so maybe it's just that. But I don't know if THQ owns 505 or something like that.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
So do you buy every single game ever made then? Since if you weren't then every game you don't buy is a lost sale that could put a developer out of business no?

But of course you just came into this thread to do your drive-by and bail.

guess i have to quote my own post since you didnt read it

Last edited:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
This is definitely true, but the reality is that this could also result in those studios closing or not having a sequel. In definitely down for boycotting everything except Shenmue III, I have to support Yu Suzuki and all the hard work his team has been putting in.

Which is totally fair - no one needs to boycott anything, and if people want to support a favourite developer who is unfortunately locked in with a terrible publisher there is nothing wrong with that.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
THQ shouldn't be involved with the digital versions of PoE2:Deadfire on consoles...but I don't think we can say we're absolutely 100% sure at the moment. When they first announced it they said Versus Evil and Obsidian were doing the publishing with Red Cerberus doing the port, and then later added that Grip Digital was also somehow involved.
That's what I thought. A shame, but can't blame anyone for erring on the side of caution in a situation like this. THQ Nordic really fucked up and they need to take some serious action. Saying sorry and claims of an investigation aren't near enough, especially as it's been almost weeks and nothing. Termination should have been a no-brainer for several of those directly involved with the AMA.