• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iddshane

Dec 2, 2017
This form of collective punishment towards the livelyhood of many good people is honestly not very flattering. 8chan is cancer, what happened in NZ is crazy and disgusting, but should we all stop using Facebook because the guy streamed his shooting there?, no, THQ Noridc were daft and they got the heat for it, let it go.
Selective morality

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Those of you that would like to buy Shenmue 3 without sending Deep Silver any money might consider importing from China or Japan, as those versions of the game will not be published by them. In China, Oasis Games is the publisher for the PS4 version and WeGame is publishing for PC. Shenmue 3 doesn't have a Japanese publisher yet, but when they sign one that would be another potential outlet.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
They already got the money long time ago whether you downloaded it or not. Least that's how I figure it.

that is what i would assume but wanted to be sure.

I think I remember seeing that they get paid based on how many people redeem the game, so you redeeming the game would be the part where they got the money.

so you are saying option 2,they got their money when i added it to my library ?

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Koch Media is owned by THQ Nordic AB and handles much of the physical distribution in Europe.
Koch Media is not mentioned anywhere on the games they distribute.
All retail/physical copies by the partners listed here, are likely distributed in Europe by Koch Media.
Retailers sometimes have pages like these, detailing all the products associated with a specific company.
Best way to avoid Koch Media is to buy digital.

Coffee Stain is also owned by THQ Nordic AB.
Their upcoming (early access 19th March) game Satisfactory will be available exclusively on the Epic store, so avoid that one doubly.

And these are other subsidiaries to look out for.

Someone's probably posted this list of THQ Nordic games already.
Do note that a bunch are of the Koch Media kind, where it's only physical distribution in Europe. Or worldwide physical, like with Generation Zero.
Generally, digital is fine unless the game is actually published by THQ or a company it owns.

Thank you for your post! A lot of relevant info there.

Oof, I just took a look at the physical disc copies I had lying around and ALL of the 2wenty-7even EU-versions of PS2 and PS4 games I checked say "Made in Austria". Since Koch Media is from Austria and has been distributing video games since 1996 I think there's a good chance that they were all distributed by KM (oldest checked was Shadow of Memories for PS2 - from 2001).

Of course THQ Nordic AB only acquired Koch Media in February 2018 and only publicly showed their character three weeks ago but I really don't feel comfortable giving them any kind of money any more even if only "peanuts" for distribution, at least until they have shown an appropriate reaction, as I mentioned before.

Buying digital is not really an alternative for me so I might order from the US or Asia from now on. Even buying used feels wrong tbh even though it really should feel ok at least.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
This form of collective punishment towards the livelyhood of many good people is honestly not very flattering. 8chan is cancer, what happened in NZ is crazy and disgusting, but should we all stop using Facebook because the guy streamed his shooting there?, no, THQ Noridc were daft and they got the heat for it, let it go.
There's plenty of reasons to stop using Facebook though (do it people!), those reasons are directly because of Facebook too and not just by association.

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty harsh to punish tons of devs for things they had no control over.
My thoughts exactly, as much as I hate the action they did, there's nothing you can really do about it except fighting for it. Honestly, i don't think not buying their game will really affect them, it need something bigger to trigger something, it's like saying don't eat meat for the environnement, but that wont change anything in my opinion.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
All the "you're punishing the devs" people, are you equally upset at non-gamers for punishing devs by never buying games?

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Folks, money talks. If you want companies to do better, if you want accountability for shit like this, if you want them to behave a certain way, then you stop giving them money.

If the marketing department at my company did something really fucking stupid, like an AMA on 8chan, and our numbers were hurt because of it, I'd be really pissed at marketing, not the people who saw it and noped the fuck out.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only game I was going to get was Generation Zero so it will be easy enough for me to boycott.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
All the "you're punishing the devs" people, are you equally upset at non-gamers for punishing devs by never buying games?
How would someone that had no interest in buying something anyway have an impact? I think the purpose of a boycott is to abstain in buying something you would have otherwise purchased.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If you guys think corporations are saints then ERA must really be in a bubble. Might as well boycott almost everything from media to your internet provider.

karl_marx_laser_eyes.png but, like, even Google has at least taken a bare minimum step against the site by delisting it from their web searches.

37, but I'll bite anyway. If I believed you were arguing in good faith, I'd say this is an odd opinion partly because 8chan was actually serving as an ideological incubator for the man who engaged in this activity. While Facebook itself may not be so directly involved in the circumstances surrounding the horrendous act, we still can't separate this from the way in which Facebook spreads conspiracy theories that feed into these white supremacist attitudes. They are absolutely, without question, complicit in this normalizing of abhorrent attitudes and behavior and should be treated with the utmost suspicion.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
This shit is dreadfully tired.

You lames will lambast developers and proudly scream about not buying a game over microtransactions...... Over Epic Store exclusivity.... Over DLC options.... Over fucking framerate..... Over censoring fucking anime titties and outfits and shit

Not even once you mention those "developers" you love so much. Not once do you give a damn unless they can be used as your little chip.

A few people decide to boycott a publisher over condoning a shit website and userbase and you all come shitting up the thread with your baby bullshit.

Give it a fucking break, piss out the damn thread. Transparent as fuck. Fucking corny ass gamers

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

You lames will lambast developers and proudly scream about not buying a game over microtransactions...... Over Epic Store exclusivity.... Over DLC options.... Over fucking framerate..... Over censoring fucking anime titties and outfits and shit

Not even once you mention those "developers" you love so much. Not once do you give a damn unless they can be used as your little chip.

A few people decide to boycott a publisher over condoning a shit website and userbase and you all come shitting up the thread with your baby bullshit.

Give it a fucking break, piss out the damn thread. Transparent as fuck. Fucking corny ass gamers
+1 Spot on. Gamers have the worst priorities.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
+1 Spot on. Gamers have the worst priorities.

Just not in the mood for it.

A 8chan dipshit just murdered 50+ people.... Retroactively highlighting the type of users that THQ wanted to play around with.

Like these idiots don't have shit else to stand on, so they just waste posts complaining that people actually dare to give a damn.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Seriously. Gamers throw a fit when a developer make a deal to ensure they can continue paying their employees, but ask them to not support a company that endorsed white nationalists, pedophiles, and right wing extremists, it's all "think of the developers!"

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
My thoughts exactly, as much as I hate the action they did, there's nothing you can really do about it except fighting for it. Honestly, i don't think not buying their game will really affect them, it need something bigger to trigger something, it's like saying don't eat meat for the environnement, but that wont change anything in my opinion.

We can and should do both. There is no point in not buying their games if we don't keep talking about the issue, as much as some people would rather we stop because "politics". We also can't expect the company to change if we keep giving them money, no matter how much we shit talk them.

But the gaming community might just be beyond saving, honestly.

Time and time again, this very community has turned its back at every opportunity it had to ask for change. There is always an excuse: the IP can't exist without that person, so might as well keep giving them money; the developers would be sad if we didn't play the game that brought them mental and health issues; I'm just one person, I won't make a difference.

Content creators refuse to take a stand, because they are either too afraid of losing viewers or just don't care enough. None of the big ones, who will create 20 minute long videos based on a single tweet, have made a video on THQ's AMA, yet we have our good friend YongYea with at least 5 new videos about Anthem alone.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Most posters above me have pointed this out, but yes, it is not any consumer's responsibility to bolster a company if that company makes bad products or poor choices.

If you don't go to a restaurant because it has shitty food, no one attempts to argue "but the waiters have nothing to do with that! You're hurting the waiters!"

If you don't see a movie because the trailer had bad acting, no one attempts to argue "but the cinematographers had nothing to do with the acting! You're hurting the cinematographers!"

No consumer has any obligation to actively spend their money and support a product, even if by not doing so "hurts" people who weren't involved in the thing that made you not interested.

Attempting to argue this point is fucking bananas. And again, *I SAY THAT AS A DEVELOPER*.

Amen.

Was writing something along these lines, but you've said it already.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I backed Shenmue III via Kickstarter, so my money was used long before Deep Silver was involved and purchased by THQ Nordic. That makes it okay for me to use the code whenever it's done. That's it for anything related to THQ Nordic until the heads roll.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-By Trolling; Accumulated Infractions
I'm buying some of those games :)

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
there were 30+ games released in January, but I only bought RE2R. I didn't know how many people I'm hurting every month!

shoot! I haven't bought a game last month.

Kidding aside. Everyone is free to decide if they want to support the developer/publisher or not. We do have our own justification to support them. Here are just a few reasons why I'll boycott THQN:
  • games are luxury
  • it's not the consumer's responsibility to take care of the developer's welfare, it's their management's job to do so
  • even good performing products are not safe from layoffs
  • hate coming from alt-right is just too much and platforms like 8chan support this. by doing AMA, they are validating whatever that platform is representing
  • I rather show my support to the victims by boycott and spreading information
And with THQN having publishing rights and subsidiaries, threads like these really help which games to avoid.

that said I have to let go of Biomutant.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I backed Shenmue III via Kickstarter, so my money was used long before Deep Silver was involved and purchased by THQ Nordic. That makes it okay for me to use the code whenever it's done. That's it for anything related to THQ Nordic until the heads roll.
I feel that Shenmue's studio is just unfortunate in this case. That said they really should have out out a statement of some kind.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
If you boycott games for MTX or platform exclusivity, and a publisher promoting a white supremacist terrorist pedophile message board isn't enough for you to "punish developers for the actions of a few"

Sorry but fuck you, I kinda think that makes you a really shitty person with no backbone and warped priorities over a toy. At the least, it makes you complicit with white supremacy, terrorism, and pedophilia.

Gamers rise up.
Most posters above me have pointed this out, but yes, it is not any consumer's responsibility to bolster a company if that company makes bad products or poor choices.

If you don't go to a restaurant because it has shitty food, no one attempts to argue "but the waiters have nothing to do with that! You're hurting the waiters!"

If you don't see a movie because the trailer had bad acting, no one attempts to argue "but the cinematographers had nothing to do with the acting! You're hurting the cinematographers!"

No consumer has any obligation to actively spend their money and support a product, even if by not doing so "hurts" people who weren't involved in the thing that made you not interested.

Attempting to argue this point is fucking bananas. And again, *I SAY THAT AS A DEVELOPER*.

100% thisss!!

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

They're the same as the people that try to shout down those protesting for things to get better because they're not being "civil" or "polite" or "doing things the right way" when what they're really saying is that they should be speaking out at all.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I noticed the other day when the Shenmue 3 trailer dropped that it was Deep Silver, and though Oh, guess I'm not buying that, then.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Yep.

Especially exasperating when the same people then argue with the actual developers who've come in here supporting a boycott or other measures, because they wouldn't want themselves or their work used as a hostage to shield a problematic publisher.

THQ Nordic's actions are what hurt developers — what hurt everyone within their umbrella. I'm quite sure that all the LGBT employees there, all the Jewish employees, all the PoC employees, all the employees who've endured abuse or harassment, all the decent employees want the people responsible for the AMA to be punished. Because their jobs and working conditions will be improved if those toxic elements are removed.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Excellent. Hitting some hard truths here.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-by Trolling, previous infractions
Yea im still getting shenmue 3 and whatever they do with timesplitters. Sorry.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-by Trolling
Yeaah no sorry I'm not going to boycott Yakuza over this.

Deleted member 12447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No dev needs to be punished but the people that participated in that fateful AMA need to go.
No dev is going to suffer because they do not get my money but i do not think any one of those devs wants to have any sort of business or personal relation with people that offered NAZIS, MURDERERS and PEDOPHILES a platform.

Why does he need to go? Why can't we help educate him instead of washing our hands with him? Is he himself a Pedo, Murderer or Nazi? If he is then fuck him, but if he's not then why can't we be better people, help fix the problem and not punish thousands of hard working developers in the process. Does this man have a family? Do we need to punish his family through getting him fired? Does he have people counting on him? Are we so perfect we can't forgive? Are we so flawless we can't help?

Apologies can never not feel hollow written over the internet even if they do have the best of intentions. They apologized. Should we simply push forgiveness to the side and instead pull the lever and hope he hangs?

I don't want to fight one injustice with another one. Especially when we can be better than that.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017

Actually the thread about Phoenix Point had plenty of concern for how this was affecting Julian Gallop. Just blindly saying since there were people that were mad about both doesn't mean they are the same people. Claiming that it didn't happen "not even once" is just not being truthful.

Oct 25, 2017
Why does he need to go? Why can't we help educate him instead of washing our hands with him? Is he himself a Pedo, Murderer or Nazi? If he is then fuck him, but if he's not then why can't we be better people, help fix the problem and not punish thousands of hard working developers in the process. Does this man have a family? Do we need to punish his family through getting him fired? Does he have people counting on him? Are we so perfect we can't forgive? Are we so flawless we can't help?

Apologies can never not feel hollow written over the internet even if they do have the best of intentions. They apologized. Should we simply push forgiveness to the side and instead pull the lever and hope he hangs?

It was a bullshit apology. The guys involved in the AMA knew exactly what they were doing and exactly the sort of people they were catering to with that move. It was a disgusting, abhorrent move, and it was calculated. They can fuck right off.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017

I don't want to fight one injustice with another one. Especially when we can be better than that.
It's an injustice for two people to receive consequences for their actions? Fuck outta here with this bullshit.

If they didn't want they didn't want to put their jobs at risk then maybe they shouldn't have endorsed 8Chan. Issuing a weak ass apology that is totally contradicted by the actual events that happened shouldn't let them off the hook.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Will you boycott Google because they allow Pewdiepie on their platform?

Some will. And if they feel that way good on 'em. Youve got to take a stand on some things in life dude. If these guys want to hit dumbass publishers in the wallet because it has a chance of correcting their employees stupid behaviour then it's all good. Some people act like protest is dead, it sad.

Deleted member 12447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a bullshit apology. The guys involved in the AMA knew exactly what they were doing and exactly the sort of people they were catering to with that move. It was a disgusting, abhorrent move, and it was calculated. They can fuck right off.

I keep reading it's a bullshit apology, but no one can tell me how they know it's a bullshit apology. It's always about how people are interpreting the apology but nobody can tell me how they KNOW it's bullshit. They didn't even have to comment on it, let alone the multiple times they have.

We have to be better than the sum of the problem.

It's an injustice for two people to receive consequences for their actions? Fuck outta here with this bullshit.

If they didn't want they didn't want to put their jobs at risk then maybe they shouldn't have endorsed 8Chan. Issuing a weak ass apology that is totally contradicted by the actual events that happened shouldn't let them off the hook.

I didn't say there doesn't have to be consequences. There's many other ways to go about this opposed to going in straight for the kill.