Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I was lucky enough to secure both a PS5 and Series X preorder, and I've pretty much decided to go with PS5, but for whatever reason I just can't bring myself to cancel my preorder or sell it at cost to one of my friends.

It's weird because there isn't really anything I want to play on it at launch that isn't going to be on PS5 also. I definitely want to play Halo Infinite when it comes out, but that could be over a year from now.

I guess I'm just afraid that if I cancel, I'll regret it for some reason that isn't obvious to me at the moment.

Anyone else in this situation? First world problems, I know.

Just to be clear, I will not sell it to anyone here. I have real life friends who will take it if I decide not to keep it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of a time where I regretted just waiting a little longer on launch hardware. The only possible exception was the 3DS Ambassador games, but that was the result of a REALLY rough first year of software.

By the time the hardware becomes more widely available, the library (and Series X patches!) will be even broader. That being said, the appeal of experiencing new stuff at the same time as other people is real; If you do have the budget, I don't see a real downside.

Oct 24, 2019
If there's nothing that you want to play on it at launch and the game that you *do* want to play on it is like a year away, then just cancel the preorder and buy one next year. You'll probably get much more value from a good bundle with 1-2 games included

Mar 8, 2018
I mean. It's pretty simple. Assuming that money isn't an issue:

If you want to cancel -> cancel.

If you don't want to cancel -> don't cancel.

It sounds like this background sense of theoretical regret is just you not wanting to cancel.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I will HAPPILY take it off your hands. I have an XSS preorder, but really want an X or a PS5. Please PM if you change your mind! *bats eyelashes*

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just FOMO, you'll be over it a week after the console launches. I'm in the literally the exact same boat, but with a PS5 pre order I don't really want. XSX will be my main, I can play Miles on PS4, and don't care about Demon's Souls. But I'm a consumerist idiot, and I love having new tech, the idea of not getting the new consoles seems so bizarre to me despite knowing I'll almost never play the PS5 (well, at least as a PS5, it will function as my new PS4).

My bigger issue with PS5 is how big and ugly it is, I feel like if it was just nicer to look at I wouldn't really be second guessing myself haha

Seaman

Oct 30, 2017
Halo Infinite comes out over a year from now?

If you can afford both or help a friend out, there really isn't an issue. The Medium and Falconeer both look amazing.

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
I was lucky enough to secure both a PS5 and Series X preorder, and I've pretty much decided to go with PS5, but for whatever reason I just can't bring myself to cancel my preorder or sell it at cost to one of my friends.

It's weird because there isn't really anything I want to play on it at launch that isn't going to be on PS5 also. I definitely want to play Halo Infinite when it comes out, but that could be over a year from now.

I guess I'm just afraid that if I cancel, I'll regret it for some reason that isn't obvious to me at the moment.

Just to be clear, I will not sell it to anyone here. I have real life friends who will take it if I decide not to keep it.
Cancel it and pick it up a few months afterward when you have something you want to play. Why would you regret it?

Feb 1, 2018
Let's be real, it's because you have the urge to scalp it lol

Anyone with multiple pre-orders "just to be safe" (myself included) is thinking about it, craving it but knowing it's greed

Oct 27, 2017
If you have a preorder but don't want it, and one of your friends wants one but wasn't able to preorder then just be a good buddy and hook them up. When the games you want are ready then you can always pick an XBSX up later when stock is abundant.

Deleted member 28231

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am in the same situation. To make it even worse i am going to upgrade my pc too ... it just seems overkill but yet i didn't cancel my series x.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I get it. I was getting cold feet on my PS5 pre-order but once I got the confirmation I needed on Back Compat, I felt a lot better.

FWIW, Late 2020-2021 for Xbox is looking like: Gears Tactics, The Ascent, The Falconeer, Tetris Effect Connected, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Psychonauts 2 (although this one is on PS4), Wolfenstein 3, Halo Infinite, Grounded full release, As Dusk Falls, The Gunk, Call of the Sea, The Medium, Scorn, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Warhammer: Darktide and Possibly Starfield, STALKER 2 (I'll believe the 2021 release when I see it), Project Mara and Forza. I think there will be stuff to enjoy, and more games will hit Game Pass over the year.

No harm in waiting either though. There are benefits and drawbacks to buying a console at launch and these games ain't going anywhere.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I mean. It's pretty simple. Assuming that money isn't an issue:

If you want to cancel -> cancel.

If you don't want to cancel -> don't cancel.

It sounds like this background sense of theoretical regret is just you not wanting to cancel.

I think the issue is that the OP isn't sure whether they want to cancel or not.

Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on your financial situation. If you're alright spending 1k on just console hardware, then keep it. Otherwise that's cash that can go towards new games or additional SSD space on the PS5.

Favio Bolo

Banned
Aug 17, 2020

you know that you'll be able to find many of them in the stores in a month or two, right?

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was in the same boat, but for the opposite console.

If something comes out later on that you want to play, odds are that the stock will be better in a years time and you won't have a problem getting it.

For what it's worth, I don't regret cancelling my PS5 order and keeping the Series X. One next gen console is good for now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you can afford it, then it's no big deal.

I can, but it's still money I could be spending on PS5 games.

I will HAPPILY take it off your hands. I have an XSS preorder, but really want an X or a PS5. Please PM if you change your mind! *bats eyelashes*

I even put it in bold in my OP, man. Come on.

Halo Infinite comes out over a year from now?

If you can afford both or help a friend out, there really isn't an issue. The Medium and Falconeer both look amazing.

If Halo comes out in November 2021, that would be over a year.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
There are not many next gen games on the Series S/X this holiday. You'll be fine with the PS5.

My two cents: Cancel for now, buy one next years when MS first party output starts to flow.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bro, I secured both Preorders as well and cancelled my XSX preorder because I still have a capable PC. Now I have cancellation remorse and can't get another preorder locked in :/

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Hmm . . . I had both preorders but since I'm going Series X I canceled my PS5 preorder and honestly I kind of regret it simply for the fact that I could have helped someone who wants one. One of my wife's friends in particularly who is trying to get one for her son (who had a rough year) as a surprise. I feel like she's going to totally turn to the Ebay scalpers and I could've helped her out.

On the other hand, you could be tempted to keep it and honestly you probably could wait and only good things come from that (hardware issues get ironed out, games go down in price, etc.).

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
If you can afford it, keep it and then wait a while before opening it. If you still don't want it after a week of having it, return it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
You would regret it, I agree, because besides the exclusive games, almost everything else is simply better on the other console, so it's a much better choice for all your multiplatform games, it only comes to the point of how much you play in general.
From the technical standpoint games will most likely look and run a tiny bit better there, to Game Pass, to the new quick resume feature, to the amazing auto HDR for every single back compatibility game, to the back compatibility itself from OG Xbox, 360 and Xbox One with a lot of OG and 360 4K patched titles, smart delivery or just simple things like LFG (Looking for Group), Dolby Atmos for headphones which is exclusive, the auto upload of your screenshots in native resolution and lossless PNG quality as well as 4K video upload or how the Xbox handles the account when it comes to buying in different country stores (You only ever need one account and you can buy from every country store).

I for myself get both consoles at release. Series X and PS5. But the Series X is without a doubt my main console for all multiplatform games. PS5 will be for exclusives only.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just keep it for family or friends that would like it more than you.

I was lukewarm about my XSX pre-order, so it's going to my brother because he is way more excited about the system than I am.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I mean I don't get it. What's the point of buying something if it's just going to be sitting there doing nothing. If the only age you can really see yourself playing on it for the next year is Halo, then wit till halo is released and buy it. Hell, there may even be a bundle with halo then at the same price.

The only reason I a buying a PS5 at launch is because I sold my PS4pro since last year. With the sole reason being that I wanted to play all the end of gen PS4 games (that I believed will also get PS5 ports or just run better) on the PS5 instead. The fact that I get a number f PA5 only games n the first year further justifies the purchase.

I would say sell it to someone that would actually use it, ts going to be here when you are ready for it. And maybe even cheaper via a value bundle or something.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's new toy excitement. Cancel it, and a day later you'll be fine. In a year from now you can get one.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Since my Amazon order just says order received...if anyone has an extra X they want to send my way that would be great :)

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real, it's because you have the urge to scalp it lol

Anyone with multiple pre-orders "just to be safe" (myself included) is thinking about it, craving it but knowing it's greed

Nah, I bet it has more to do with you have it secured and you know that it's sold out so that cancelling it will immediately remove the option to have one. It's that finality which is likely holding the OP back and not the notion of scalping it. As long as you keep the order you still have the option; once you cancel it, that's it.

Nov 21, 2017
This is the first time in my life when I am getting both next-gen consoles during the launch-window. I could certainly do fine with just XSX, but I want the PS5 for Demon's Souls. Financially it is not the wisest decision, but I can afford it, even though I have to be stingy with the games I purchase.

Why this, though? Well, the reason is simple. The year 2020 has been a horrible strain emotionally. But I am still alive, I have made it this far. And damn me for celebrating that with some new tech.

If you have the financial capability to buy both, I say get both. Future is uncertain, we are here now, and we should enjoy ourselves in whatever way we can. I know travelling is off the table for me, so I am using that money on my second most precious hobby ( gaming ).

Whatever you decide to do, do it with no regrets.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I doibt the cosole will drop in price before Halo. If you can afford it keep it. If not cancel it's really that simple.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you already have an XB1? Because if not then I find it hard to believe there won't be something you'll love on it.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I was sort of in the same boat, but since I am pushing back my PC rebuild (970), makes sense for me to keep the series X and gamepass.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
If you have a kickass gaming PC, I would say definitely lose the Xbox preorder. Otherwise, no shame in keeping it. Game pass is amazing

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin

Just keep it and then when halo comes out you don't have to think about it you're there day 1, plus when that year there's exclusives and gamepass in general you can dip in and it of. If you're getting it anyway at some point I say it might as well be now. You aren't going to get it for cheaper in a year so you'll only save by game bundles but it's likely that game will be in GP anyway.

Plus Halo won't be over a year from now it's likely March or so

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Why would you cancel it? We are gamers, it's good to have all options available. Xbox will have exclusives that PS5 doesn't, and vice versa. If you want future Bethesda games I would keep the XSX. It's also the most technically powerful of the two, if that matters to you. Plus Game Pass is very much worth it.