• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
venturebeat.com

Intellivision delays launch to April 2021 and unveils 20 new games

Intellivision Entertainment announced that it will delay the launch of its Amico reboot video game console from October 2020 until April 2021.

Intellivision Entertainment announced today that it will delay the launch of its Amico video game console from October 10 to April 15. The company also announced 20 new games for the "reboot" console (with a total of 30 in the works), which is aimed at getting young and old family members together on the couch again for fun games.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I thought this and the Atari already came out. I think there are some people that are interested but I don't think there is a lot of value in either.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I like moon patrol, and it's neat they're making a new game... But this system is still hella weird to me. Cannot get over the weird feeling all those small YTers give me due to their excessive Amico shilling. It feels blatantly forced and when a bigger YT channel makes a vid doubting the console/games, Tommy writes multi paragraph rants in the comments and have Atariage bombard vids with dislikes. No matter if the vid is well constructed with criticism or not, he just goes "NUH-UH YOUR A TROLL". Utterly unprofessional.

And speaking of which, he took over the entire fucking Atariage forum with this thing. There's 800+ pages of nothing but shilling the thing and shitting on anyone who makes videos that are even remotely critical. Anyone replying with a concern gets banned. (The EWJ creator's horrid transphobia, delay, quality concerns, all things people have gotten banned forbringing up)

Is it too much to deem the way he reached out to small YTers to promote the product, because big channels think this is a weird next Ouya, a bit cult-like? Because this thing seems to be horribly underwhelming and that comes from an arcade addict like myself

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The Usaopoly/The Op partnership brings the first interactive versions of the award-winning board games Telestrations and Blank Slate. These announcements come on the heels of recently announced licensing deals with brands such as Major League Baseball, the daredevil Evel Knievel, and The American Cornhole League.

It's a good thing this was pushed back, it'd be hard to choose between the Series X, PS5, or a console that has a licensing deal with the American Cornhole League.

Edit: Jesus, Cornhole is the pack-in title.
With over 100 unlockables as well as single-player, team, versus, and arcade modes, Cornhole uses Amico's motion controls to bring cornhole tossing to the living room. Aimed at large groups, Cornhole is included as a pack-in game with every Amico console.

Forget Spider-Man, I'm saving my money to cornhole with grandpa.

amico-3.jpg

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
this prototype menu is really something

Cv21xyc.jpg

This looks like one of those 2000s era game compilation with very low budget menus wtf

But man, now it just wants me to have a proper, retro Intellivision collection on all the current systems. I'm kinda surprised they didn't at least announce a compilation for this thing so it could be used as a mini plug and play thingy for those who may want one.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I like moon patrol, and it's neat they're making a new game... But this system is still hella weird to me. Cannot get over the weird feeling all those small YTers give me due to their excessive Amico shilling. It feels blatantly forced and when a bigger YT channel makes a vid doubting the console/games, Tommy writes multi paragraph rants in the comments and have Atariage bombard vids with dislikes. No matter if the vid is well constructed with criticism or not, he just goes "NUH-UH YOUR A TROLL". Utterly unprofessional.

And speaking of which, he took over the entire fucking Atariage forum with this thing. There's 800+ pages of nothing but shilling the thing and shitting on anyone who makes videos that are even remotely critical. Anyone replying with a concern gets banned. (The EWJ creator's horrid transphobia, delay, quality concerns, all things people have gotten banned forbringing up)

Is it too much to deem the way he reached out to small YTers to promote the product, because big channels think this is a weird next Ouya, a bit cult-like? Because this thing seems to be horribly underwhelming and that comes from an arcade addict like myself
Just saw this thread, this is exactly how I feel about it. I've seen a handful of Amico fans on Twitter and Youtube over the week or two and they're all like this, each and every one of them seems like they're in some cult with the way they talk about it and immediately jump on anyone that dares to say the slightest negative thing about it. It feels super weird. It does seem like Tommy has manipulated them somehow, although I know that's starting to sound a bit conspiracy-like.

I saw some saying Cornhole is the next Wii Sports and it's going to go mega mainstream. Someone made a video saying they think it'll be the best selling console of all time, others say it's a better choice than PS5 and the next Xbox. Every time I see it being talked about I feel like I entered the Twilight Zone. I'm actually a little fascinated by it all tbh (not the console, that shit looks wack, the cult).

Disclaimer: I'm not saying every single person who like this thing is weird and has been manipulated, I'm sure they're not all, just the ones I've seen.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This image sums up their business plan to me. Get grandparents who remember the brand to buy a simple video game platform for when their grandkids come over.

Although AD&D Cloudy Mountain and Night Stalker...

I dunno, though. The price point strikes me as way too high for that, and I'm not sure why they'd be doing endless unimpressive YouTube videos of it if that was the case.

Grandparents are about name recognition, but they're also about "as far as I'm concerned, all these things are functionally equivalent, so unless I've been told to buy a very specific thing, I'm buying the cheaper one."

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think the controller is neat. The games shown are incredibly unappealing though (outside of Choice Provisions' Breakout). For $300, this console really has no chance at success. For the same price, a family can purchase a standard Nintendo Switch, with infinitely better local multiplayer experiences.

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I've noticed this too, it's fucking weird.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Just saw this thread, this is exactly how I feel about it. I've seen a handful of Amico fans on Twitter and Youtube over the week or two and they're all like this, each and every one of them seems like they're in some cult with the way they talk about it and immediately jump on anyone that dares to say the slightest negative thing about it. It feels super weird. It does seem like Tommy has manipulated them somehow, although I know that's starting to sound a bit conspiracy-like.

I saw some saying Cornhole is the next Wii Sports and it's going to go mega mainstream. Someone made a video saying they think it'll be the best selling console of all time, others say it's a better choice than PS5 and the next Xbox. Every time I see it being talked about I feel like I entered the Twilight Zone. I'm actually a little fascinated by it all tbh (not the console, that shit looks wack, the cult).

Disclaimer: I'm not saying every single person who like this thing is weird and has been manipulated, I'm sure they're not all, just the ones I've seen.
Yeah I've noticed this too, it's fucking weird.

Glad I'm not alone. It's weird AF to see him take over an entire forum for nothing but praise for this thing. that just feels very bizarre. (especially for an atari forum no less) I've seen several vids on the system or presentation which were critical get bombarded with dislikes, solely because that vid is shared in the thread and everyone gets mad that someone would *dare* give feedback on a system that's not out yet and has a shaky road to any sort of success whatsoever. It's very baffling and the fact a lot of the amico vids on their YT feature these small YTers shilling just makes the whole thing further feel like a cult/inauthentic fanbase. Nobody will buy this console and make it mainstream unless it has the only version of some mega hit kids love, but even then, it's almost entirely certain they'd have that game on other platforms. Kids don't give a shit about earthworm jim, Night Stalker or Breakout. Even if they're well made.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Glad I'm not alone. It's weird AF to see him take over an entire forum for nothing but praise for this thing. that just feels very bizarre. (especially for an atari forum no less) I've seen several vids on the system or presentation which were critical get bombarded with dislikes, solely because that vid is shared in the thread and everyone gets mad that someone would *dare* give feedback on a system that's not out yet and has a shaky road to any sort of success whatsoever. It's very baffling and the fact a lot of the amico vids on their YT feature these small YTers shilling just makes the whole thing further feel like a cult/inauthentic fanbase. Nobody will buy this console and make it mainstream unless it has the only version of some mega hit kids love, but even then, it's almost entirely certain they'd have that game on other platforms. Kids don't give a shit about earthworm jim, Night Stalker or Breakout. Even if they're well made.
Heh, literally just before I read this I saw a Youtuber proudly state he had removed all negative comments about the system from his Amico video and blocked those that posted them. Really strange stuff.

I'm kind of disappointed it's been delayed, I'm really interested to see what happens with the release, because I'm sure it's not going to be straightforward and some interesting things are going to happen, plus it will be interesting to see how they explain the almost inevitable terrible sales figures.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty disappointed this was delayed tbh. I was eagerly looking forward to never having to hear about it again.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, though. The price point strikes me as way too high for that, and I'm not sure why they'd be doing endless unimpressive YouTube videos of it if that was the case.

Grandparents are about name recognition, but they're also about "as far as I'm concerned, all these things are functionally equivalent, so unless I've been told to buy a very specific thing, I'm buying the cheaper one."
But the Amico (per their announced MSRP) is the cheaper one.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
But the Amico (per their announced MSRP) is the cheaper one.

Cheaper of the "real" consoles, maybe, but there are plenty of (retro or otherwise) plug-and-play systems that're much cheaper. Why shell out three hundred bucks for something the kids will use sporadically when you can grab something that seems the same for much cheaper?

Plus, comparing it to the "real" consoles is pretty dubious, as I'm not convinced that they'll have all that much visibility. I wouldn't think that initial orders would be too large, and they won't have anywhere near the shelf space that the other consoles with a wider range of games and accessories (and proven sales history) enjoy.

Oct 25, 2017
Cheaper of the "real" consoles, maybe, but there are plenty of (retro or otherwise) plug-and-play systems that're much cheaper. Why shell out three hundred bucks for something the kids will use sporadically when you can grab something that seems the same for much cheaper?

Plus, comparing it to the "real" consoles is pretty dubious, as I'm not convinced that they'll have all that much visibility. I wouldn't think that initial orders would be too large, and they won't have anywhere near the shelf space that the other consoles with a wider range of games and accessories (and proven sales history) enjoy.
Look, I'm not defending their strategy, I'm talking shit out of my ass how I think they're thinking this isn't an absolute train wreck and grandparents wanting quality time is something those plug-and-play systems don't market to.

Of course this is going to crash and burn, and I'll be waiting on Steam for them to get some sort of value out of their Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain remakes.