• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only an intern currently, but where I work (it's in Manhattan) has reserved space in the Marquee nightclub for its Christmas party

Dec 22, 2017
My company throws an absolutely amazing holiday party every year. There are no slide shows or speeches or award ceremonies. Just an open bar, a huge venue, and a fun theme. Feels like an adult prom.

We also do a smaller party for our department, sans spouses, that is more of a team building event.

Both events involve a ton of drinking, so all of our cabs and uber charges are paid for.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
We always have it at the owner's big fancy house, but luckily it almost always falls on the premiere day for a Star Wars film and this year is no exception. So I never go. It's always on a Thursday to try to convince people to not get blackout drunk and stay late, which is just dumb.

Haha, same! I'm skipping out on this year's party to go see TROS. Last year I had to go to a funeral, but both 2015 and 2016 the party fell on the premiere dates for TFA and Rogue One. Assuming no one else dies, I'll probably go to next year's party, as I really do like my co-workers and would probably have a good time.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Ours is at the mercedes benz stadium again this year, so it's pretty swank. Not planning on going, though

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
My last company party rented out the patio of a nicer restaurant in town - it was pretty nice. It was open bar but people were being polite with their drink orders, meanwhile my close coworkers and our spouses were ordering Macallan, Balvenie, JW Blue, etc.

Rumor has it that we still didn't hit the drink minimum, even though we were trying our hardest lmao

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Ours is a big hooplah at a fancy downtown club with dinner, drinks, loooots of people dancing.

We also do festivities most of the day: Secret Santa, big lunch. Etc

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Uh...what? Are the employees being punished for poor performance or something?

Hahaha maybe, Im gonna infer from this that the company isn't in a good spot. OR the people organizing such things are really off their rocker. It's the movie and concessions, no dinner or food or gathering that a normal holiday party would entail. I don't really care cause it's whatever and it means nothing to me, but it does make one wonder.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hahaha maybe, Im gonna infer from this that the company isn't in a good spot. OR the people organizing such things are really off their rocker. It's the movie and concessions, no dinner or food or gathering that a normal holiday party would entail. I don't really care cause it's whatever and it means nothing to me, but it does make one wonder.

Sometimes the party organizers can't handle the temperature of the room.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I work for a local government, and they use one of the locations they own.

Frankly it sucks. You have to bring your own food, and the people that mostly go are old people who like politicking.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
I don't enjoy them, but hey, sometimes there is good food and a raffle. Won 50 bucks last year. Normally I stay until the raffle ends.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I worked for a company that was bad with pay and benefits, but they said their parties made up for it. It was three parties a year and to be fair they were massive, open bars, huge dinners, gift bags etc. But I moved to a company that pays better, better benefits but no parties and I enjoy it significantly more. I'd rather have that than a few big parties a year.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
As long as there isn't some kind of gift exchange, they're usually tolerable in my experience. I'm kinda jealous of those who have worked for businesses that rent out a banquet hall or something. It was always a caterer dumping a bunch of food in an empty conference room for me.

Easily the worst parties were during my time at UPS. They were mandatory, took place after work, and had a Secret Santa. The saving grace was that the hub manager always went big on the food and chose excellent caterers. Still, after working a hard 12 hours, moving half a million packages, the last thing I wanted to do was go to a party with a bunch of other people who also desperately needed a shower and exchange gifts with people we barely knew. At least giving alcohol was always a safe bet.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Mine is the shit. They always say limit to two drinks a person but in reality it ends up being unlimited beer and wine. And they have awesome giveaways for iPads and hotel stays and stuff

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
The company I work for rents out a hotel ballroom and provides a meal, drinks and dancing. I never go to them because I see these people 40 fucking hours a week and don't care to see them outside of that but this year I may have to go since it's the company's 50'th anniversary. I'm trying to get my band booked that same night so I have an excuse not to go lol.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I've run the gamut from tiny gatherings to big parties with dancing and shit.

Current employer rents out a room at a nice restaurant and has an open bar, cocktail hour, then dinner and some fuddy duddy games for prizes. +1s invited. I'm basically a fuddy duddy myself so it works out well for me. Didn't go last year because I was sick. I'm sick right now, but this year's party isn't for over a week and a half so I should be better by then.

I think the current party type works best for me. When I was at a place that had a big party with a dance floor and DJ, my boss and some coworkers got drunk and it was embarrassing. I love to dance but some people just can't control themselves.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
In the years I've been here we've rented out a museum wing or Fenway Park's luxury suite, with fully catered high-end appetizers, meals, and desserts, open bar, live band w/dance floor, photo booths, coat check, company raffle, discounted area hotel rates, and private shuttles. Everyone dresses up semi-formal and gets a +one. It's like going to a free wedding if you don't pay for a hotel.

That sounds legit.

We're renting out this restaurant in the North End where we take a cooking class and end up making the meal we'll eat. So that should be fun.

Not sure if we get to bring our SOs though, so that part has me a bit down on it.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Been to a few company parties and all have been fun. Unlimited drinks, good food, and good music.