• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
NOTE:

I want to start off by saying that I am not a doctor or expert in this field in any way so take my opinions with a heavy grain of salt as my thoughts are based on my own personal life events & circumstances, and if you have serious inquiries about this subject then I would consult a mental health professional instead of this thread. This is partly a personal venting thread, but mostly I would like to discuss what kinds of lasting affects hovering & controlling parents can have on people well into their adulthood with other people from this community who have been through this issue first-hand like myself.

Venting Time:

I'm currently a millennial living at home with my parents like many of my generation are stuck doing. I've lived there my entire life, and even through college as I lived close to school & couldn't afford a dorm. So I'm 27 years old and I've never lived in an environment away from my parents. Naturally, it has caused some negative effects to my mental health over the years. I'm going to start with my Mom. She is someone who clearly is scared to death of making mistakes. Growing up In my household, mistakes weren't acceptable. You had to do everything right. My Mom would take control of everything I had to do, hover over me while I did, and second guess every choice I made throughout until I eventually just gave up and did what she told me to do. It was like this for all big homework assignments, work applications, taxes, etc. Pretty much anything important that would have some kind of repercussion if I messed up. I remember every time we had to sit down together to get something done this feeling of restraint would fall over me and I would become antsy and on-edge until we were done. I would be talked down to like I was a little kid through the whole process because my Mom always felt like I wasn't taking things as seriously as she was. I was, I just wasn't taking her seriously anymore. That's where my Dad comes into the picture. He's my Mom's personal dog to sic on me and my siblings whenever we do something that she doesn't agree with. Normally, he doesn't give a shit, like at all. We're not his problem whatsoever so he says. He goes to work, pays the bills, and checks out from any parenting tasks other than discipline. But he can't stand my Mom getting emotionally distressed every time we finally stand up to her a little bit about the hovering. So she goes to my Dad and spins it off as disrespecting a parent which unleashes the hound so to speak. I've never not known a time when this cycle of dysfunction wasn't a normal part of my life. Like all struggles, it took a long time to recognize that it was not normal and start working towards a solution. That happened for me about 5 years ago. Since then, I've noticed that my life is much better when I just don't include my parents in it. I don't talk to them about anything really anymore, and sadly it's kind of been bliss. I can't escape it all the time though. My Mom still swoops in to control things when the chance arises. The past couple of days, she's been on my case about getting my taxes paid which I would've gladly done already if I had my tax documents with me, but I couldn't because she had them (because they were important and she couldn't risk us losing them, forgetting about them, etc.). I decided to get the payment done today after my job's work-from-home tasks were done, and again I had to push to get her to let me do it myself. I happened to made a mistake during the process (ended up paying a little more than I should've, easy fix) so my Mom immediately returns to "treat him like he's 5 again" mode, started bawling her eyes out like this mistake was the end of the fucking world, and sics my Dad onto me like clockwork for "never listening to her". Holy shit. I'm twenty fucking seven. I'm an adult who made a mistake so let me be an adult and fix my mistake. That's how we learn and grow as people.

tl;dr - I've lived at home with controlling parents for 27 years with no breaks, even college. You can imagine how that's gone.

Discussion Time:

I'm sure everyone has their own stories to tell, and I would like to focus on the effects that parents like this can have on a person that can stunt their growth as an individual and cause repercussions through other facets of their lives. For me, the effects seemed to boil down to a few key discussion points.

- "Why do we fall?" & The importance of not being afraid to let your kids make mistakes

I often feel I have learned so much more about life from films, books, etc. than I did from my parents so I'm going to start this with a quote from Batman Begins, "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." This feels like it can be the hardest thing for parents to accept and prepare for. Your kids are human, humans will make mistakes, and some lessons in life can only be taught by making mistakes first. Failing and picking ourselves back up is one of those lessons. Parents should prepare kids to think things through so they can make good choices and avoid stupid mistakes, but give them the freedom to fail and learn how to fix them as it's a critical life skill in my mind. I feel my parents have never wanted me to learn that skill. For me, this fear of failure that my parents have instilled in me from birth has had a lasting impact on my ability to take risks in life. You can't pursue a career without taking risks. You can't find love without taking risks. I now have neither. I remember the first big risk I took that failed and it caused me to basically shut down for months. I often wonder where I would be today if I'd had the freedom and encouragement to live my life to the fullest without mental shackles.

- How little things have drastic effects of showing no faith in your kids

Branching off of the last point, this inability to take even small risks and succeed has led to a steady decrease in my confidence over time. Now, combine that with years of parents feeding you doubt over your ability to handle simple tasks by taking control of them out of your hands, and you've got yourself an individual who simply does not believe in themselves. Life is a serious struggle and if they don't believe in themselves then how can they be expected to make it on their own? If your parents don't believe in you then how can you believe in yourself? Some give up without a source to refuel that sense of self-worth. Some will go looking for others to feed that self-worth which could lead to someone potentially dangerous who lies to falsely feed your self worth and keep you around.

- The "They're just being a parent" excuse

To put a pretty bow around the previous two points, this is the response that most parents use to put a bow around all of their toxic behavior. They're worried that you will be ok, and somehow that makes what they do ok, so you're expected to just let it go. This is what gets you to accept it and let it last for decades without a fuss. Parents, I know you're worried, I have no doubt I'll be worried about my kids when I'm older, but please don't let it get the better of you. I'm very glad that I had the epiphany that I had about 5 years ago that got me out of this behavior being normalcy mindset and started me down a better path. I now feel I am in a better position to be a good parent in the future.

Your Turn

I know this was a long read, but I'd love to hear what thoughts others have on this subject and it's talking points, or even if you have a story to tell as well. I'd like this to be as honest and judgement-free of a topic as it can as I know it can be a very personal and sensitive subject to talk about. I often find that my thoughts become much clearer and easier to understand and discuss once I start writing them out. It's helped me with many things over the years.

And for those stuck quarantined with their controlling parents during the COVID-19 outbreak, how are you holding up?

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I have no confidence to accomplish what I want to with my life. People constantly tell me I should be far more successful than I am but all I can think is how I'm worthless

My brain is always noticing negative things about others and myself and I really can't tell how much of it is actually important to recognize. This and the above have absolutely affected my ability to take small risks

My fight or flight kicks in constantly because my family considered screaming and being condescending to be a basic and acceptable reaction to most things

On top of that, I spent my 20s hurting people who cared about me because all I was taught in terms of interacting with others was being critical and screaming at people when they did things I didn't like or didn't make sense. I almost slipped into an alt-right bubble from it.

I pretty much just don't expect to ever have a lasting, fulfilling relationship with another person at this point

I got a DWI a few years ago because drinking was an easy coping mechanism for my anxiety and loathing. Sat down with mom and laid out to her how her being as hard on me as she was led to a lot of depression, intense self-criticism, and suicidal desires. Her response was "I should have been harder on you."

Sometimes I can't sleep at night or am really anxious in the morning and in my head I hear either her critical comments or her playing the victim and trying to "I love you" her abuse away and I just silently scream at the ideation for a while to get it to stop

Damn I didn't use public restrooms until I was 19 because me brain would play out kidnapping/rape scenarios and it'd be too scary for me

Made it out better than a couple of my siblings tho

I know that situation with mom being hyper critical then buckling under the slightest pushback and sicing dad on us

Finally cut them off last year after my youngest sibling filled me in on their refusal to respect proper pronouns and how they keep deadnaming

I'm 31

Thanks mom

Last edited:

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
My parents are wacko religious cultists who completely isolated me and my older brother from the world for our entire adolescence into young adulthood. That, combined with my violent psychopathic brother's daily unrelenting abuse, has basically ruined my life.

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
My mother was very controlling, she died when I was still a teenager. Her dying basically made my life possible as it is now.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
My parents are wacko religious cultists who completely isolated me and my older brother from the world for our entire adolescence into young adulthood. That, combined with my violent psychopathic brother's daily unrelenting abuse, has basically ruined my life.
Pretty much me minus the psycho brother.

I'm still stuck in the cult with no way out.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
My mom was fine, but my step father was a controlling piece of shit. I didn't really develope proper social skills because of it. After my mom passed, all the years of mental abuse lead to me giving absolutely zero fucks about him. He could be dead, he could be alive, I don't know. I don't care, fuck him.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That was me until age 26 until I met my gf and then I moved the fuck out, although I lived away during college for a while.

I've since cut them off since they didn't approve.

I still grapple with confidence, depression, decisiveness to this day but I've come a long way since.

My parents are both mentally ill as far as I'm concerned.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds awful my mother is the same way but haven't you saved enough living at home that you can move out?

If your parents are so toxic you could have taken out loans to stay in the dorms. Then you make friends find roommates to rent with and never have to go back.

obviously that all depends on cost of living and such but if you have a degree and decent job there really isn't any reason to live at home.

I had student loans to pay and shitty jobs but still managed to never move back home after highscool.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm in a similar situation. I'm 26 and I love my father, but he absolutely has to be in control of everything in the household and if I don't do everything exactly the way he wants it done he gets upset and yells at me. I sometimes lose my cool with him when he does that, but at the same time bitches about me not doing anything and being independent.

Pick a fucking lane and stick with it.

Oct 27, 2017
They fuck you up your mum and dad,
They may not mean to, but they do,
They fill you with the faults they had,
And add some extra just for you.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
My mother is overall a decent person, but when I was growing up she had a tendency to be an angry bully. She's mellowed out since then - thanks in part to me moving out and gaining independence - but it definitely left an impression on me.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Growing up In my household, mistakes weren't acceptable. You had to do everything right. My Mom would take control of everything I had to do, hover over me while I did, and second guess every choice I made throughout until I eventually just gave up and did what she told me to do. It was like this for all big homework assignments, work applications, taxes, etc. Pretty much anything important that would have some kind of repercussion if I messed up. I remember every time we had to sit down together to get something done this feeling of restraint would fall over me and I would become antsy and on-edge until we were done. I would be talked down to like I was a little kid through the whole process because my Mom always felt like I wasn't taking things as seriously as she was.

oof. I feel this so much, except it was my dad instead of my mom.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Man I think about this everyday with my daughter, the line between teaching her how to do things correctly and giving her the space and time she needs to express herself freely.

Not defending controlling parents, but I understand. Until you have a child that needs to do homework and the alphabetized and they get distracted with a fly on the wall so they rush it to go play and do it badly, what do you do then?

Its more nuanced than just extreme control vs freedom, but I do see both sides, its very difficult to navigate.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
It's not something that I want to discuss in any sort of detail on an open forum where I can't delete my posts, but it caused a lot of issues that still affect me in various ways, even after moving out ~2 years ago. I didn't tell them I was moving out until about 6 hours before I got the keys to my apartment (but had already signed the lease) and they're still angry that they weren't part of the apartment hunting process.
I'm not as stressed out as I used to be anymore. I no longer constantly grind my teeth in my sleep out of stress to the point of having headaches all day from my jaw being clenched all the time. I'm not constantly on-edge anymore, but there are other issues that still won't go away.
Nothing about my family is functional at all but we get along a lot better now that I no longer live there. I still see them around once a week or so.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't affect me much actually in the grand scheme of things. The most that happened was that my dating/sex life started very late (mid 20s as it took time to get used to it) but that's about it. Basically they were very strict and controlling until I was 19, then I moved to UK alone for studies after that...over the years they started accepting my choices, while providing me with as much support as possible at the same time (a very hard thing to do simultaneously for Indian parents)....and now they are about as uncontrolling as possible.

Shit that wouldn't have flown back then is shit they laugh about now when it comes up today. I do tell them everything, eventhough I don' t have to. Having a job, being almost 30 and living so far away from them means they have to let me do my thing...and because of them becoming lax and liberal with their attitude over time, it ended up benefiting my siblings who were growing up and they have had a much more free, uncontrolling teenage years than I did.

The good things they taught me though, that has affected me and shaped me into the person I am today so I'm ultimately grateful for my parents.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I also had satellite parents growing up, but it fortunately wasn't to the point of being abusive. When I got into my late teens, they gave me quite a bit of leeway and finally let me start living my own life when I moved away for college.

So, despite the extremely sheltered childhood I had up to that point, I think I came out of it OK towards the end. I still love them and communicate with them on occasion but I don't want them to be involved in my personal life. If I'm dating someone, they won't know until like a year in or something like that.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
NOTE:

I want to start off by saying that I am not a doctor or expert in this field in any way so take my opinions with a heavy grain of salt as my thoughts are based on my own personal life events & circumstances, and if you have serious inquiries about this subject then I would consult a mental health professional instead of this thread. This is partly a personal venting thread, but mostly I would like to discuss what kinds of lasting affects hovering & controlling parents can have on people well into their adulthood with other people from this community who have been through this issue first-hand like myself.

Venting Time:

I'm currently a millennial living at home with my parents like many of my generation are stuck doing. I've lived there my entire life, and even through college as I lived close to school & couldn't afford a dorm. So I'm 27 years old and I've never lived in an environment away from my parents. Naturally, it has caused some negative effects to my mental health over the years. I'm going to start with my Mom. She is someone who clearly is scared to death of making mistakes. Growing up In my household, mistakes weren't acceptable. You had to do everything right. My Mom would take control of everything I had to do, hover over me while I did, and second guess every choice I made throughout until I eventually just gave up and did what she told me to do. It was like this for all big homework assignments, work applications, taxes, etc. Pretty much anything important that would have some kind of repercussion if I messed up. I remember every time we had to sit down together to get something done this feeling of restraint would fall over me and I would become antsy and on-edge until we were done. I would be talked down to like I was a little kid through the whole process because my Mom always felt like I wasn't taking things as seriously as she was. I was, I just wasn't taking her seriously anymore. That's where my Dad comes into the picture. He's my Mom's personal dog to sic on me and my siblings whenever we do something that she doesn't agree with. Normally, he doesn't give a shit, like at all. We're not his problem whatsoever so he says. He goes to work, pays the bills, and checks out from any parenting tasks other than discipline. But he can't stand my Mom getting emotionally distressed every time we finally stand up to her a little bit about the hovering. So she goes to my Dad and spins it off as disrespecting a parent which unleashes the hound so to speak. I've never not known a time when this cycle of dysfunction wasn't a normal part of my life. Like all struggles, it took a long time to recognize that it was not normal and start working towards a solution. That happened for me about 5 years ago. Since then, I've noticed that my life is much better when I just don't include my parents in it. I don't talk to them about anything really anymore, and sadly it's kind of been bliss. I can't escape it all the time though. My Mom still swoops in to control things when the chance arises. The past couple of days, she's been on my case about getting my taxes paid which I would've gladly done already if I had my tax documents with me, but I couldn't because she had them (because they were important and she couldn't risk us losing them, forgetting about them, etc.). I decided to get the payment done today after my job's work-from-home tasks were done, and again I had to push to get her to let me do it myself. I happened to made a mistake during the process (ended up paying a little more than I should've, easy fix) so my Mom immediately returns to "treat him like he's 5 again" mode, started bawling her eyes out like this mistake was the end of the fucking world, and sics my Dad onto me like clockwork for "never listening to her". Holy shit. I'm twenty fucking seven. I'm an adult who made a mistake so let me be an adult and fix my mistake. That's how we learn and grow as people.

tl;dr - I've lived at home with controlling parents for 27 years with no breaks, even college. You can imagine how that's gone.

Discussion Time:

I'm sure everyone has their own stories to tell, and I would like to focus on the effects that parents like this can have on a person that can stunt their growth as an individual and cause repercussions through other facets of their lives. For me, the effects seemed to boil down to a few key discussion points.

- "Why do we fall?" & The importance of not being afraid to let your kids make mistakes

I often feel I have learned so much more about life from films, books, etc. than I did from my parents so I'm going to start this with a quote from Batman Begins, "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." This feels like it can be the hardest thing for parents to accept and prepare for. Your kids are human, humans will make mistakes, and some lessons in life can only be taught by making mistakes first. Failing and picking ourselves back up is one of those lessons. Parents should prepare kids to think things through so they can make good choices and avoid stupid mistakes, but give them the freedom to fail and learn how to fix them as it's a critical life skill in my mind. I feel my parents have never wanted me to learn that skill. For me, this fear of failure that my parents have instilled in me from birth has had a lasting impact on my ability to take risks in life. You can't pursue a career without taking risks. You can't find love without taking risks. I now have neither. I remember the first big risk I took that failed and it caused me to basically shut down for months. I often wonder where I would be today if I'd had the freedom and encouragement to live my life to the fullest without mental shackles.

- How little things have drastic effects of showing no faith in your kids

Branching off of the last point, this inability to take even small risks and succeed has led to a steady decrease in my confidence over time. Now, combine that with years of parents feeding you doubt over your ability to handle simple tasks by taking control of them out of your hands, and you've got yourself an individual who simply does not believe in themselves. Life is a serious struggle and if they don't believe in themselves then how can they be expected to make it on their own? If your parents don't believe in you then how can you believe in yourself? Some give up without a source to refuel that sense of self-worth. Some will go looking for others to feed that self-worth which could lead to someone potentially dangerous who lies to falsely feed your self worth and keep you around.

- The "They're just being a parent" excuse

To put a pretty bow around the previous two points, this is the response that most parents use to put a bow around all of their toxic behavior. They're worried that you will be ok, and somehow that makes what they do ok, so you're expected to just let it go. This is what gets you to accept it and let it last for decades without a fuss. Parents, I know you're worried, I have no doubt I'll be worried about my kids when I'm older, but please don't let it get the better of you. I'm very glad that I had the epiphany that I had about 5 years ago that got me out of this behavior being normalcy mindset and started me down a better path. I now feel I am in a better position to be a good parent in the future.

Your Turn

I know this was a long read, but I'd love to hear what thoughts others have on this subject and it's talking points, or even if you have a story to tell as well. I'd like this to be as honest and judgement-free of a topic as it can as I know it can be a very personal and sensitive subject to talk about. I often find that my thoughts become much clearer and easier to understand and discuss once I start writing them out. It's helped me with many things over the years.

And for those stuck quarantined with their controlling parents during the COVID-19 outbreak, how are you holding up?
Holy shit dude move out. Like seriously. It might be more convenient to live at home, but you owe it to yourself. I realise with coronavirus it might not be the right time, but start making plans now.