• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best games of the year, fight me. Probably would've been my number one most years. Better than I ever thought it would be.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
You need to dodge constantly and wait for the right time to attack in a successive combo. Also if you are fighting a monster for the first time try to keep your distance and learn its attack patterns, when the monster gets agitated and steam is coming out of its nostrils wait until it calms down, it'll stay put for some seconds since it used a lot of stamina.
Try different weapons and find one that clicks with you, each one of them has a unique playstyle, it's all about learning monster movements and attacking when you know it's safe.
Also, taking advantage of the environment itself is important (i.e., elevation when evading large monsters and looking for opportunities to mount them, things like flashflies to disorient them or paratoads to paralyze them).

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Big Monster hunter fan here and loved it, just a shame you burn through it in to time. I still spent about 300 hours in to it and reached HR 100 because I just love helping folks and playing it with a podcast or show in the background. A fantastic game but light on content and a bit scarce on different armor and weapons, elemental weapons are a bit unnecessary since everyone pretty much uses the elder dragon weapons that outclass all the others.

You need to dodge constantly and wait for the right time to attack in a successive combo. Also if you are fighting a monster for the first time try to keep your distance and learn its attack patterns, when the monster gets agitated and steam is coming out of its nostrils wait until it calms down, it'll stay put for some seconds since it used a lot of stamina.

Don't see monster as a hack and slash, it's more like a fighting game. Study the opponent and its moves, watch for openings and go for your opportunities. It's basically Punch Out! but with Monsters. Play it for a while and combat becomes second nature and dodge and dash without thinking.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Anyone claiming that there's no grinding in the story portion of the game's content must have mentally blocked out the Pink Rathian track grind. Jesus, what a stupid way to introduce high rank.

Entirely fair point, ugh. Such a stupid way to segue into the second half; it's as if Capcom wanted people to leave the game there and then.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably one of those games that just isn't for me. I thought combat felt sluggish and not fun, especially when up against giant, nimble, very high HP enemies. There was a time where a monster just kept running into me and knocking me into the ground as I was getting up.

I mean, I think it's great that combat seems(? I admittedly haven't spent much time playing/understanding the game so I may be wrong) to revolve around proper timing, especially with heavy weapons but that just ends up being a tiring exercise when monsters require so many hits until they go down.

tried insect glaive, switch axe, light bow, dual blades ??

and you have to try and take advantage of the terrain to land certain types of attacks

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Read the responses to your post a little more closely - they actually say the gameplay, combat and fun factor is best ever and better than any of the other entries. Like on another level. However it's the mission design and game structure that is the same. In my experience it's easy to look past that when the gameplay loop is good enough.
Dope. Thanks!

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I didn't know what I was doing for the five or so hours I played because the game was terrible at teaching me, and yet I did not feel challenged at all by the missions I completed. The interface and menus were incredibly unintuitive and the controls and combat felt clunky. So no, I don't think it's anywhere near a perfect game.