• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Indeed, which is why it's fascinating seeing some focus solely on hardware sales. Should we also include Windows sales?
Well, the steep hardware sales decline stands out, hence the attention.
Also it still needs Hardware to sell Software. That's the reason PlayStation makes about twice the revenue with an install base about twice as big.

Feb 10, 2018
Dont read too much into these numbers etc etc

Pretty sure PS3's sales decline in 2012 was FAR less steep than 40%. MS should be firing on all cylinders in the run up to next gen, not sputtering out at the end

Yeah if only ms did something like spend $billions on new 1st parties doubling the 1st party studios, make the best value videogame rental service in history and commit to make a next gen console with its main focus being the best gaming box it can be.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
While there's obviously a plan to transition to service based models and subs, the results are just bad, even if somehow logical late into the generation.

The only thing that MS had sure as positive is the narrative, at least on US media. From being poised to dominate upcoming generation articles, to ones like this to downplay negatives and highlight positives.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
So if the 1x did not release those same people would of bought a 1S?

Also if talking about revenue, the 1x will increase it a lot because its a lot more expensive.
There was a surge at launch, but it's impossible to quantify, cause Ms never gives numbers.
The One X also released Nov '17 and these are numbers for April-June '18 so the "big" launch surge was over anyway.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
What money? They spent 2 billion buying the ip after most copies were already sold lol.m
What was the point of the x 2 years before next gen?
After most copies sold? Do you even look at monthly npds or realize it didn't become the greatest selling game of all time until a couple years after MS bought it? Not to mention the toys, clothes and merchandise lol.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't say they didn't.

What i told you is that windows was no affect on the 30% from selling 3 party games. They do indeed have a store, that has a lot of competion but, if a costumer buys a Xbox, they have 0 competition.

It is far better for Microsoft that a costumer buys a Xbox that one that plays on pc.
You have no idea what's better, that's why they are the most valuable company in the world. Armchair critics make me laugh. The driving point is engagement on any device, not just Xbox.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the steep hardware sales decline stands out, hence the attention.
Also it still needs Hardware to sell Software. That's the reason PlayStation makes about twice the revenue with an install base about twice as big.
That also explains why Sony as a company is not nearly as big as they used to be while Microsoft is the most valuable company in the world. Focusing solely on Xbox hardware metrics is small potatoes.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People focus on hardware sales not because of direct revenue from those sales, but because hardware drives software and service sales - the actual profit drivers.
We are moving away from hardware metrics used as the driving force to sell software, hence why Google is now getting involved. Putting xCloud and Game Pass on any device also shows they don't need to sell hardware to make revenue.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Everything Microsoft has done as of late has been in preparation for the next generation. If Microsoft is still dropping the ball 2-3 years into the next generation, then there's cause for concern.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
It is indeed normal, though the severity of the hardware sales drop at 48% is perhaps much less so.

For context, in FY12 Q4 (same time prior to the Xbox One/PS4 launch) the Xbox 360's sales dropped off 35%, and the PS3's only 4.5%, and that was a much longer gen. It remains to be seen how much of a drop the PS4 sees this quarter in hardware sales vs last, but that should highlight whether this gen is simply seeing a much harder drop off in HW sales in the run up to next gen, or if these steep declines are more of an Xbox thing.
The writing was on the wall this past December. Xbox was $100 cheaper than PS4 the whole month and only was able to outsell them by a small 100k. When PS4 is $199 they can't make enough of them.

As far as subscriptions go, it's a nice addition but without hardware being healthy those subscriptions won't be anywhere near their potential.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its the last year of a generation and MS has been telling the public "hey maybe hold off cause the = next console is coming" for the last year.

Numbers are going to be down.

Oct 27, 2017
I also see the suggestion that MS is going to 'compete' with $1 gamepass subs. Is that actually a long term strategy or a short term marketing tactic - does that deal have an expiry? Is that deal really sustainable long term?

This would actually be an interesting discussion, mainly around how aggressive MS has been with game pass pricing. Since that service launched, I've probably been subscribed at least 70% of the total time and I've maybe paid at most $10 with all the three month and one month offers that pop up every quarter or so. That sort of up-front marketing tactic does wonders for an active userbase, but I'm curious to see how the transition is handled to more sustainable marketing initiatives.

I'd also love to see a breakdown of revenue between Gold and Game Pass, but I suspect we won't ever get that.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This drop in revenue wouldn't have happened if:
• Crackdown wasn't a total disaster
• SoT, Gears or Halo had legs in terms of post-launch monetization
• PUBG had more success on consoles
• Marketing partner games were better: Xbox went with fucking Fallout 76, Anthem and BFV, while PS has RDR2 and COD.

The growing subs are not the reason behind revenue being down. The revenue is down because the games' menu isn't appealing to drive console sales, game sales and microtransactions.

Wait so you want them to monetize their titles more? The hell? And get out of here with the marketing deal crap. You think anyone expected FO76 and BFV to literally shit themselves out of the gate? Anthem maybe. Besides Bethesda and BioWare always partner with MS.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I mean it's also fine for MS because they are not overly reliant on Gaming division.

Strange way to look at it, and quite the "shots fired" approach. If MS sees Xbox division underperforming, they're less likely to dump more money I to it.

Goes hand in hand with the "MS has more money than sony so they can just buy everything." If that's how it worked, why hasn't MS done so?

If Xbox performs, which we know it will, MS will be more willing to send more resources their way.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so you want them to monetize their titles more? The hell? And get out of here with the marketing deal crap. You think anyone expected FO76 and BFV to literally shit themselves out of the gate? Anthem maybe. Besides Bethesda and BioWare always partner with MS.

MS chose those partners, they ran promotions/commercials/bundles = it did not work out because partners failed MS. Even if this is outside of MS's control, it contributes to the hardware sales when PS4 is blasting best-selling 2018 games promotions and Xbox has stinker meme-games promotions.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Guess we shall see how things are after June 2022. When my game pass membership runs out.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course, MS is super healthy. But I'm sure they'd like to sell as many consoles, games and subscriptions as Sony or Nintendo, so they are heavily investing to catch up next gen.

Lol, they aren't going to say no to selling 100 million next gen Xbox systems but they are braodeing themselves to be much more than just Xbox hardware.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Strange way to look at it, and quite the "shots fired" approach. If MS sees Xbox division underperforming, they're less likely to dump more money I to it.

Goes hand in hand with the "MS has more money than sony so they can just buy everything." If that's how it worked, why hasn't MS done so?

If Xbox performs, which we know it will, MS will be more willing to send more resources their way.
Didn't Microsoft just do exactly this? They threw money at the Xbox by allowing seven (was it seven?) studio acquisitions the past year.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
This drop in revenue wouldn't have happened if:

• Marketing partner games were better: Xbox went with fucking Fallout 76, Anthem and BFV, while PS has RDR2 and COD.
Nothing Xbox can do about this right now. They are in second place thus get second place games. COD > Battlefield, Red Dead > Fallout, Destiny > Anthem

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft lost out on Mobile, maps etc because they kept focusing on winning short term battles VS the long term.

They've learnt their lesson now. Nobody at MS cares if Games lost some money now, as long as there's a long term forecast showing a much bigger slice of the pie down the line.

Finally, a revenue drop doesn't really mean money is being lost.

I've been reading these excuses for the Xbox division since 2004. Sometimes a bad quarter is just a bad quarter.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
every single Xbox One and Xbox X sold will not immediately be obsolete once scarlet comes out. That is big difference than the way it was before. Halo Infinite is going to be available to more people than any halo game ever at launch

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I've been reading these excuses for the Xbox division since 2004. Sometimes a bad quarter is just a bad quarter.

That was in direct response to someone saying Phil's job was under threat over declining current gen sales.

Also, nobody was making any 'excuses' for Xbox performance during the last gen. They did extremely well last gen, in terms of hardware revenue.
But you already knew that.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
This would actually be an interesting discussion, mainly around how aggressive MS has been with game pass pricing. Since that service launched, I've probably been subscribed at least 70% of the total time and I've maybe paid at most $10 with all the three month and one month offers that pop up every quarter or so. That sort of up-front marketing tactic does wonders for an active userbase, but I'm curious to see how the transition is handled to more sustainable marketing initiatives.

I'd also love to see a breakdown of revenue between Gold and Game Pass, but I suspect we won't ever get that.
Yeah I've paid $7 for a year of game pass

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Nothing Xbox can do about this right now. They are in second place thus get second place games. COD > Battlefield, Red Dead > Fallout, Destiny > Anthem

Second place has nothing to do with marketing deals, unless you're bidding for outright exclusivity. A marketing deal on Xbox won't stop devs from selling their games on PS4.

Truth be told, Microsoft has been extremely incompetent in securing these marketing deals. They'd be in a much better place if they had secured Destiny rights and not made the foolish mistake of letting the COD marketing rights go.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
We are moving away from hardware metrics used as the driving force to sell software, hence why Google is now getting involved. Putting xCloud and Game Pass on any device also shows they don't need to sell hardware to make revenue.

I mean Nintendo and Playstation make the most in gaming revenue currently and they both are selling gaming hardware in order to achieve that. Not sure if just adding services to more platforms will always equal more revenue.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Wow, 48%? Was that expected cause that is a huge decline. I would also imagine that gamepass is not that profitable yet.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I'm getting the suggestion from all these analyses that revenue per user in this 'new' world of services/subscriptions is a lot lower than in the trad console+unit-purchase market.

If that's the case - I'm not totally sure it is, but let's say it is - how many users will a company have to reach under these models to match the revenues achievable to date on high console userbases?

I also see the suggestion that MS is going to 'compete' with $1 gamepass subs. Is that actually a long term strategy or a short term marketing tactic - does that deal have an expiry? Is that deal really sustainable long term?
Well, 1$ is obviously great value, but that is not financially sustainable, devs must be payed, and by the cost of less of a game per user a year i fail to see how we can get a healthy ecosystem, unless everything is f2p or shovelware.
Maybe the target is to 'destroy' competition using MS's money from other sections that are profitable.
The thing is some people seem to be happy with that, but once competition doesn't exist anymore.. well be prepared. Seems a very short term perspective to me
I mean Nintendo and Playstation make the most in gaming revenue currently and they both are selling gaming hardware in order to achieve that. Not sure if just adding services to more platforms will always equal more revenue.
Maybe if you own the product, the games, but with almost everything being 3rd party... That can be available on other platforms... Imagine if Nintendo offered a similar product with their first party plus 3rd party, why would you choose Microsoft one?
Not to mention that, like Netflix, many players will probably offer similar deals, since no hardware barrier is there any more.

Last edited:

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I'm simply glad they are finally playing the long game.

Console sales are important but people seem to act like all of their diversification and alternate gaming cash flows aren't important. Their deals like PS going to azure, PC gamepass, selling their games on Steam, and Minecraft are huge. xCloud could be giant or a flop but we won't know for a while. They also acquired/built/expanded 15 studios to fill their 1st party content void. All this is to say that console sales are important but they do not convey their current situation at all.

Jan 20, 2019
You have no idea what's better, that's why they are the most valuable company in the world. Armchair critics make me laugh. The driving point is engagement on any device, not just Xbox.

Yah we do.

Is not armchair critics, just because you cant see it does not make it wrong.

Selling a console allows Microsoft to charge for online, gamepass and take 30% cut.

On pc, they can sell you gamepass and have to compete with steam, epicagames and gog for the 30% cut.

Whitch option is the better option?

Just because they are trying to reach as many gamers as they can does not mean that the console stop being the best option for max revenue.