• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Guild Wars 2 used to do this quite a bit with events relating to Southsun Cove and Living Story Season 1, but Anet thankfully changed that starting with LS Season 2, where that now you can basically explore the content whenever (although admittedly some gems are needed to access previous living story seasons). They also ended up bringing back a few parts of LS season 1 too, mostly instances to add for Fractals or new ways to get a lot of the skins from that time.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the whole "you had to be there at the time or you are shit out of luck" is a huge turn off for me. Its one of the things that frustrates me the most about WoW. As some who missed Legion but was a druid main missing out on the special druid forms and being told "tough shit" when I can back for BFA was a huge turn off.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same sort of thing that I experience when I decide to log in to Guild Wars 2 from time to time. I get in, see all the stuff I missed (living story, especially) and log out.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? Because vex offensive is bad and the sun dial had promise until you realized it's a weak mans menagerie.

there has been no whisper moments and the crucible is well....not worth playing compared to d1.

fuck at least bring back being able to pledge to factions and give us new weapons and armor to chase.

It not being good doesn't mean they are not trying to utilize FOMO to get you to play it lol. Kind of shiny limited time rewards are still rewards.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What kills me on the sundial is unlike unlocking the cup in the menagerie. It's just gone. I haven't been unlocking the spires so had like 4k of the currency built up. It was brought to get 3 spires to 11 and don't see the point in it at all when the season is up.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
My life has improved since I decided to stop playing Destiny 2 and just admit to myself that it's not something I enjoy, with FOMO being a big contributor. I work all day, I'm not coming home to a second job

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't touched the game in months. Too swamped at work and by the time the kids go to bed it's too late to get started on a raid. So I will reserve judgment on what the author is saying but generally speaking Destiny has always had a "you had to be there" factor.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't touched the game in months. Too swamped at work and by the time the kids go to bed it's too late to get started on a raid. So I will reserve judgment on what the author is saying but generally speaking Destiny has always had a "you had to be there" factor.

The article literally addresses that. He said it always had it but now they are trying to make it happen artificially by removing content.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Besides the FOMO there is also the lack of matchmaking in dungeons and still Nightfall.

I always knew I wasn't going to play raids and I was okay with that going into Forsaken. It was content that maybe I could get to if I wanted but probably wouldn't spend the time.

but know there are dungeons (that I had to discover on Reddit) and also cool quests that require a group.

A lot of the cooler things just seem to not be available unless you have a group. And when you put the excessive grind and the timed stuff that has been adding over time it just felt pointless to play it.

Yea the lack of Matchmaking in DUNGEONS is silly stupid. And seriously just have regular matchmaking for the raid. Make an easier version like the nightfalls where you can matchmaking instead of that guided games (beta) shit.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the lack of Matchmaking in DUNGEONS is silly stupid. And seriously just have regular matchmaking for the raid. Make an easier version like the nightfalls where you can matchmaking instead of that guided games (beta) shit.

While I'm for matchmaking for the raid, the most challenging parts are not something you can tweak by scaling damage/health like in Nightfalls.

I just think destiny has a December curse with their dlc that makes it not good. The spring dlc always ends up being more enjoyable

Arguably the worst DLC release was in the spring (Season of the Drifter).

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I agree as someone that's outside of the community. It gets to the point where it's like well, I've missed everything. I should wait to jump in with Destiny 3 / next major expansion.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Is it? Because vex offensive is bad and the sun dial had promise until you realized it's a weak mans menagerie.

there has been no whisper moments and the crucible is well....not worth playing compared to d1.

fuck at least bring back being able to pledge to factions and give us new weapons and armor to chase.
There's been multiple season exclusive weapons (including exotics) and armour on top of the activities and all the stuff in the Battle Pass and Eververse, yes it's definitely designed around FOMO. Saint 14 is also going after this season isn't he?

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Been more exhausted by the community clinging to the term "FOMO" than the actual season, tbh

The interesting point from the article - how it handled the Corridors of Time - is sort of lost on the fact that I think Destiny's emphasis on seasons has been more of an overall improvement than not.

With some tweaks to how they handle the stuff that goes away, I think it could be the sweet spot they've always been looking for.

(also - if you are bored/tired of a game, stop playing it. play something else.)

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017

I think an easy raid for matchmaking would be nice but I'm okay with one piece of content that you have to get people to do.

But when they started to had dungeons and quests that are hidden and require a group it was when I really felt I was just playing a time waster and the cool stuff required to much effort just to get into.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know for sure my exit from Destiny has been because of this, for better or worse. I simply don't have the time to invest in the game and some friends of mine are putting in time every day to be involved in that community sphere. I love how involved you can be, but Destiny has given me a vibe recently where heavy involvement seems like the only way to engage with Destiny now and that's just not able to work for me unfortunately.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Aren't most MMO games structured like this? Time limited storylines that are meant to keep players logging in (and hopefully spending money), aside from seasonal events which get recycled every 2 years at worst.

Is the issue that any new Destiny content is time limited? If so then yeah that sucks.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't most MMO games structured like this? Time limited storylines that are meant to keep players logging in (and hopefully spending money), aside from seasonal events which get recycled every 2 years at worst.

Is the issue that any new Destiny content is time limited? If so then yeah that sucks.

My only other experience is FFXIV and no, that isn't an issue. You don't miss content by not playing or starting late. You may miss when certain content was relevant and active but the content still exists and can be enjoyed.

Jun 23, 2019
The exact reason I didn't buy Shadowkeep and most likely won't come back after pouring 100s pf hours into D1 and D2. There is just so much going on in the game that if you miss something, you're shit out of luck while everyone else is struggling trying to get everything done released. Starting to feel the burnout of GAAS and just want actual games I can complete now.

Grimace McRib

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I've had to take some time off from Destiny, because of work, kids, girlfriend, etc. I've taken time off Destiny many times, missed events, weapons, etc. When you do come back, you feel a little overwhelmed but you've got lots of things to engage yourself with. And truth be told, I use a limited set of weapons despite having a vault filled to the rim. You can always dip in and dip out of Destiny and still play with others as long as you're in endgame. I got over the sensation of having "everything", weapons, gear, triumphs, etc. a long while back. I dipped back in yesterday for about 4 hours and after doing the same redundant things for quests it was just a reminder that this season sucks, and in the end I'm missing nothing. Bungie needs to change the season pass formula, it's not working.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The idea of games as a service with constantly adding new content for staying players and making players return died. It turned into FOMO design making players fear of missing out on marginal rewards.

Personally I lose interest quickly in those games because they annoy me fast.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny feels like the MMO-lite game that I always wanted, but now realized that I do not have the time to play.

More of a me-problem than a Destiny-problem.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You now have 90 days to complete everything in the season including the pass, seals/triumphs, personally for me the fun I had with Destiny came from chipping away at all of these things over a longer period of play.
I'm happy people are still enjoying it, I dropped it like a rock once I missed the undying seal and got half way through the season pass, no going back.

Feb 21, 2019
I know for sure my exit from Destiny has been because of this, for better or worse. I simply don't have the time to invest in the game and some friends of mine are putting in time every day to be involved in that community sphere. I love how involved you can be, but Destiny has given me a vibe recently where heavy involvement seems like the only way to engage with Destiny now and that's just not able to work for me unfortunately.
This. It seemed that earlier on in Destiny's life (D1), there were some options of playing casually all the way up to the more hardcore. Then in D2 vanilla they scewed too far to the casual side and made it all boring, but then over-corrected and made the game for the no-lifer hardcore crowd.

Honestly, all the whipsawing back and forth (along with certain sandbox changes that made it all fall flat and make it less fun) is what drove me away from the game. Sure, I'll log on every once in awhile because the shooting is still fun, but otherwise, nah. I have other things to do.

That said, I will be in for D3. No question.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny really tries to focus on that "you are gonna miss out" feeling. I guess thats typical of these games.
Wich makes them amazing if you are fully invested in it and you get great community events. But when you are out its hard to come back to it.

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
The part of the community that is unhappy is just that. Just like Forbes, there is a need to critisice Destiny with the same old points in toe.

The thing that is getting stale is not the game, its the people who complain without saying anything with substance (I mean do people even read what they write? Some of the comments here are embarrasing).

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Crash Team Racing hit the right balance IMO. Seasonal Content is available for a month and if you miss it it becomes available again a couple weeks later.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Also, can I just say that if you're gonna make a claim like "it's turning off players" you need to back that up with some quantitative data, and not just your own opinion?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
They extrapolated out Nightfall into four difficulty ranks with the increased light level.
The highest two difficulties don't have matchmaking.

Are the higher difficulties harder than nightfalls in Destiny 1, or did they just add 3 levels of gradation down to Easy? Because I played nightfall strikes in D1 with randos and no mics, and I never felt they were anywhere close to hard enough to justify no matchmaking.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm convinced that once Bungie releases their NetEase funded online game they'll leave Destiny behind almost completely. They're creatively bankrupt on Destiny and are now forcing engagement.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also, can I just say that if you're gonna make a claim like "it's turning off players" you need to back that up with some quantitative data, and not just your own opinion?

The guy writing these just looks at the subreddit and then pitches articles that sum up what they're actively talking about

I totally agree that the thesis could use some actual data beyond anecdotal agreement, since basically everything that Destiny has ever done has upset a vocal group of players while leaving a less vocal group of players pretty happy.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like the new Destiny 2 after it launched on Steam for a whole host of reasons. I stopped playing a few weeks after it debuted on there.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Some friends and I got back into destiny 2 hardcore when shadowkeep came out. Now because of how they are handling the content, we never play anymore. The new system of more or less paying for similar content that was in previous expansions that go away after a set time is extremely dumb.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Are the higher difficulties harder than nightfalls in Destiny 1, or did they just add 3 levels of gradation down to Easy? Because I played nightfall strikes in D1 with randos and no mics, and I never felt they were anywhere close to hard enough to justify no matchmaking.

Definitely harder. Insane if you aren't prepared, as they just dump a bunch of restrictive modifiers on you.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That coupled with the fact I hate crucible in destiny (I enjoy PvP in almost every other game. But Destiny I just do not enjoy it (I've hit legend before). The fact that they force me to play it for many quests and events is really I think what just absolutely makes me have a violent reaction to it.

Now with this new model, I'm just losing interest so fast. I didn't even touch it this season. This game really should have 2 big updates a year or so that keep people in for a month or two. I'm sure they're making big money of the long term dedicated players and eververse stuff. But it's basically completely turned me off the game at this point.

Last edited:

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
It went F2P back in October. that and it, by then, was 2 years old, had multiple instances of the base game being made free on PS4 and battle.net and had already been bought by most of the player base anyway, so many copies would just sit on shelves of clearance aisles.
Makes total sense. Yea I didn't know that at all. Thanks for explaining. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

With a bad team with no understanding of the champion mechanics, they can be hard. With matchmaking, you're most likely to be paired with the majority of players who have no understanding of these mechanics or have the proper weapons equipped to combat them.