• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't care about play time. It doesn't directly affect me as a player. I care about the number of players in the game at any moment, which is a measure of population.

If the same number of people are playing each day, and those people are playing for longer, then the average population of the game server through the day will be higher. The same holds true for each mode.

There is plenty of reason to suspect that exactly this would happen at launch, even without the observations from people who have actually played through that time.
Yeah that's not population, that's average login time. Stop purposefully mixing up things and then claiming "population gets higher", which still is completely untrue. If ten people log on for 5 minutes or 16 hours a day, the population still stays at ten. Don't expect everyone else to use or respect your wording in discussion when it's plain wrong.

Last edited:

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
To get promotions at Google, you need to be on active/new projects rather than maintaining legacy systems (although this is true anywhere). This explains why there are a lot of new products that get cancelled soon afterwards. It's just human nature to chase the promotion by whatever means necessary, and then abandon the project once it's served its purpose.

It's funny. It's easier to be promoted at Google by jumping over to a competitor and then jumping back. You'll also get bigger raises this way than to be promoted from within.

It doesn't make sense to chase a job only for the position to disappear once the new product/service/initiative is dead.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao at the raid numbers, everyone must know everyone else that raids on Stadia, including their raid quirks.

Amin_Parker

Dec 25, 2019
Tokyo
I really like this platform and I like Google as a company but I think if they would have had two first party games released in November for this platform it would have done much better. They also should have completely bought out any developer that specializes in jrpgs. Just imagine launching November 2019 with a really great jrpg that's exclusive to the platform as well as two big first-party games. One first party game should have been their equivalent to Super Mario and their other first party game should have been their equivalent to The Last of Us. Now with those three type of titles on the platform exclusively I'm sure Google stadia would have done way better than anyone could imagine. How did they expect to do anything without any sort of first-party content available at launch is beyond my comprehension.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Do people still play the console version? I stopped by the bungee forums, and the mood seemed depressing as ever.

James

Oct 25, 2017
US
Yeah that's not population, that's average login time. Stop purposefully mixing up things and then claiming "population gets higher", which still is completely untrue. If ten people log on for 5 minutes or 16 hours a day, the population still stays at ten. Don't expect everyone else to use or respect your wording in discussion when it's plain wrong.

If I am playing Destiny, and there are 1000 people online at that time, then the current population is 1000. That is not the "average login time." It is also the only measure of population that matters to someone playing the game, because it determines how many are available to play with or against.

Average population is directly proportional to total playtime across all users (hours played daily/ 24).

That is population. There isn't a better word for it.

Total playtime goes up if the number of daily users increases or if the average session length increases.

The number of players around in the game has increased quite a bit over the past month. In other words, the population has increased.

Do you see most of people sticking around after free months?

I guess that depends entirely on what Stadia's moves are over the next month. If nothing changes, then no.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't make sense to chase a job only for the position to disappear once the new product/service/initiative is dead.

Google hires general software engineers (as opposed to specialized ones, although they do that as well), and then places them within a team after they've received an offer. This means there's a lot of mobility within the organization, as far as which team and project you can work on.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that depends entirely on what Stadia's moves are over the next month. If nothing changes, then no.

This will be key, I wonder if there has not been a single word from Phil Harrison because Google silenced him. He really fucked the while messaging up for the product.

This should have been launched as a beta with way better communication on what to expect. Xcloud offering is absolutely in response to Stadia so hopefully there is strong competition in cloud gaming to keep it coming

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia games desperately need cross-play and cross-saves in all of their games.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to guess that anyone who wanted to play Destiny 2 was already playing it. No one wants to start over from scratch.

OP
OP
criteriondog

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This will be key, I wonder if there has not been a single word from Phil Harrison because Google silenced him. He really fucked the while messaging up for the product.

This should have been launched as a beta with way better communication on what to expect. Xcloud offering is absolutely in response to Stadia so hopefully there is strong competition in cloud gaming to keep it coming
I completely forgot about Phil Harrison and just realized that we haven't heard a peep from him since launch. I wonder what he's up too or if he's even still at Google?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Historically, you need about 5-6 quality first-party games a year to entice buyers to your ecosystem. That's 30-40 games over a 7-year gen. (source: Numbers for Sony systems)

That means you need around 20 first and second party studios, making games for you at a clip of 1 game every 3.5 years, to match previous successful consoles. And a smattering of money-hatted partial exclusives, like SFV for the PS4/PC only.

Did Google line all this up? A Bloodborne and an Uncharted 4 and a Street Fighter V? I don't think so. They haven't done anything remotely close to "serious" legwork or serious investment. This is beyond OG xbox, this is WiiU-scale failure for Google.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Stadia Base will fix everything

So Google hopes

But I think people are just uninterested in the idea of completely replacing their current gaming setups with Google's cloud servers, $130 entry fee or not

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Stadia was dead on arrival. It'll be tossed into the Google Graveyard by next year, I expect. 💀

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is beyond OG xbox, this is WiiU-scale failure for Google.
I still think that real endgame for Google is to licence the technology to publishers. All of them pretty much have their own ecosystems but lack streaming technology (EA started working on one recently).

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I still think that real endgame for Google is to licence the technology to publishers. All of them pretty much have their own ecosystems but lack streaming technology (EA started working on one recently).
My bet is in incorporating it into the Google/Android ecosystem proper, so it'll be preinstalled on phones, TVs, you name it, like the play store. And free to start, thus raking in gazillions.

I don't believe in it still but that's what I would do.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I completely forgot about Phil Harrison and just realized that we haven't heard a peep from him since launch. I wonder what he's up too or if he's even still at Google?
Quadruple agent Phil Harrison is celebrating victory with Sony after sabotaging everyone.

RIP Atari, Microsoft and now Google

Viva la SingStar!!!

/s

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I do not even know if I want to try it. My connection is 100Mbps up and close to 100Mbps down with a ping of 2 according to Ookla yet when I try the Google Stadia test it's between 11.9 and 12.8 Mbps. I guess I'm not too close to their servers.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I'd consider it if they brought it to Aus just so I could play it on the go but even then xcloud is close.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
If I am playing Destiny, and there are 1000 people online at that time, then the current population is 1000. That is not the "average login time." It is also the only measure of population that matters to someone playing the game, because it determines how many are available to play with or against.

Average population is directly proportional to total playtime across all users (hours played daily/ 24).

That is population. There isn't a better word for it.

Total playtime goes up if the number of daily users increases or if the average session length increases.

The number of players around in the game has increased quite a bit over the past month. In other words, the population has increased.

Do you have the data about people playing for longer or is it just based on "feelings"?

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia games desperately need cross-play and cross-saves in all of their games.

As an owner of Stadia who does enjoy the tech.. this right here is so important. Hell I own every damn game they offer on other platforms and If I could travel the save between platforms I would buy more on Stadia because if they close the door in a year or whenever I wont be out the entire time I spent in the game.

Cross play simply for the numbers in MP games to go up... they release their achievement system and within the first hour people on forums are trying to organize to try and get enough people into a Tomb Raider online game.. Cross play certainly would go a long ways to helping that problem.

I jumped into Stadia late.. only had it a couple weeks but I have been given 6 games.... if they keep up the pace of 2 games a month I may stay subbed. I have only bought one game and it was on a 60% sale...

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't wrap my head around the idea that they thought it would be smart to release a streaming service and still charge per game on top of the subscription

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
For the less sensitive out there, Stadia's population as of yesterday.

FSfYreE.png

As far as I can tell, this looks like roughly the same population numbers as it had in mid-November. I can't say that it's rising or falling with just those 2 points of reference, but it may have had higher numbers in December (which would mean some decline if it fell back to near-launch totals). But that's just conjecture unless someone else has that info. Sorry; I don't know how to make Charlemagne show historical data. I think it can, but I can't figure out how to do so.

For reference, the populations on PC, PS4 and Xbox respectively as of yesterday.

BHQllRr.png
QMJ1Yxa.png
NxRoZ1S.png

Regardless, it's cool that some of you are saying you don't feel the small community size on Stadia. I'd expect matchmaking to take a long time for some of these activities with numbers like this, so kudos to Bungie if you're not having trouble doing group stuff like Altar or PvP.

I can't imagine trying to find a raid party with only 426 people on the planet looking to do a raid on any given day.
Well, those are CoD on WiiU numbers. Good enough for finding death matches, but not enough for continued support. Now, this is supposed to be Stadia premier game.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Stadia launched too early. Tech isn't quite there yet. Sucks cuz another competitor would have been cool.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Big tests are going to be when Pro launches on it's own, and when Free launches, which might be at the same time, but I suspect we might see Pro become available for purchase separately for a while before they are ready for Free.

For now people are looking at numbers for a controlled launch; imagine if Netflix was $130 for it's first buyers how many subscribers they'd have. You don't launch a service that requires a gaming machine's worth of power on the server side for each user to the general public en mass, you need to do something to limit that and for Stadia's "early access launch" that was clearly price.