• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I just don't get why you guys are seeing Stadia as this mobile product.

You won't be playing Stadia on crap wi-fi or over cellular very soon, or on a moving train or anything like that. Streaming would be a clusterfuck on those. Even 5G won't work on a train, you'd be changing towers constantly and that's a no go for Streaming.

I'm envisioning Fortnite on Stadia being a way that anyone with a laptop and web browser on a decent home wifi or wired connection could play better than that device can play natively, if at all.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Duh. Destiny 2 population in general probably dropped by 50% since new light. This is not news.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
1. It will
2. Wireless networks.
The games are still designed for mouse and keyboard or controller.

Unlike mobile phone games.

It's usage as a "portable gaming" service is limited because of that. Unless Stadia starts pushing for on-screen controls or something for mobile phones, which I could eventually see... but.. yuck.. if the game itself isn't coded to recognize when those controls are being used, it's not a fun way to play.

Mobile versions of FPS are tweaked heavily for the disadvantages (and some advantages) of touch-screen control play.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
Another thing I've thought about (along with what I mentioned above):

- Ask for a higher revenue cut of MTX / battlepass sales through Stadia
- Allow Google to REQUIRE a "battle pass" or whatever paradigm a game has in order for it to be on Stadia Free

They could put Fortnite on Stadia; "This game requires either Stadia Pro, or a Battle Pass.. buy either here"

Wonder what Epic would think of those ideas (particularly the higher cut of revenue idea.)

Opens up a whole new world of players who don't have consoles, PCs capable of playing a modern FPS, or a desire to play on a phone while re-imbursing Google for running the game on their servers.
How about pre game session ads, I know it prelongs people getting into the game, but if they are on the 'free' tier, some may accept watching 1 minutes worth of ads at the start of each gaming session.

OP
OP
criteriondog

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think this service is going to have a really difficult time getting new games. Not everyone is going to always have a stable connection, which can result in games looks really awful with input lag. Not everyone will, but it's a possibility for many. I don't think a lot of publishers or developers will want their games to have the potential to suffer from possible poor connections and not run optimally.

Additionally, this service is seemingly having a hard time getting new games. Not even a single title announced at the game awards is getting a Stadia version. With the PS5 and Xbox releasing this holiday, I think the Stadia is going to struggle significantly, because they won't have the lineup of games to compete with.

I see the argument that "once Stadia Base releases and is free to everyone, Stadia will be available to millions", but that doesn't guarantee success. Not everyone is going to have an optimal connection. Many people who are hardcore gamers already have a PC, Switch, PS4 or Xbox One, as well as casual gamers. I feel when Base comes out, people will try it out and notice it's mostly older titles, and honestly drop it. I don't think there's room for another gaming platform in the market either. Google+ was free and available to millions and it still died, which Google later pulled the plug. With all the bad PR from launch, I think Google is in a horrible spot with Stadia. They really rushed this out the door, when they should have at least waited until they had a few solid must have exclusives, features and partnerships.

I also think the "play (almost) anywhere on (almost) any screen" is more niche than it sounds. I don't think there's a large market for that, for console gaming on phones, with a controller.

I don't know what Google's endgame is with Stadia, but right now things look dire. Cyberpunk is coming after it's launch on PC and consoles, and we don't know if Doom Eternal is coming to Stadia anymore (missing logo on recent trailer). Other games coming to the service are delayed ports, like the Division 2. Games are either bugged/crashing like Rage 2, or FF XV's save issue (fixed now), or have delayed patches. Borderlands 3 is noticeable, it's getting a new patch today, and Stadia isn't even receiving it, let alone it's missing the DLC and it's based off a build from October.

I imagine Google in the background is really trying to convince publishers to support Stadia, and it's been a struggle. Activision doesn't even support Stadia, so it's missing Call of Duty and Sekiro. EA supports Stadia as a publisher, but has yet to release a title, but already announced games compatible for XCloud. The biggest games are missing releases on Stadia and that's seriously an issue. I don't know what Google is going to do, but I don't think Stadia Base will make Stadia a compelling platform.

TheVictim

Dec 3, 2019
Since Stadia loads so quickly I use it for my single player grinding and bounties. It's actually a big time saver, plus added bonus of no PS4 Pro fan engine noise which is really loud for me. For any PvP or group activities however, I do PS4.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
How about pre game session ads, I know it prelongs people getting into the game, but if they are on the 'free' tier, some may accept watching 1 minutes worth of ads at the start of each gaming session.

It's Google we're talking about so I would assume that some sort of advertising would be worked into the free tier.

I have no idea how they'll do it, though.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
No chance of that with the free tier, the question is will there be enough adoption to make third party want to make games for it

You only get Destiny 2 with a Stadio Pro subscription, The "free" tier still requires you to purchase games at full price. Xbox already offers Xbox All Access which is $20 a month and includes an Xbox One S, Game Pass & Xbox Live Gold, not mentioning the fact you need a damn good stable internet connection to enjoy stadia at it's fullest; Xbox already has a better value package. Going into the next generation I could see Sony adopting the same strategy and once they do you'll have 2 next gen consoles available on subscription plans that'll be cheaper than buying 1 game every 2 months on Stadia.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Duh. Destiny 2 population in general probably dropped by 50% since new light. This is not news.
No lies detected. I bought the deluxe for all seasons and have pretty much dropped the game on PC.

But I still wonder when Stadia will be...

killed by the architects.

Last edited:

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Why? Like how does it enrich your life to see Stadia struggling?
I can't speak for him, but you can't get Stadia in my region and likely won't be able to a a LONG time. Less streaming-only services means less streaming only games I'll never be able to play. I'd love to try out Gylt, but NOPE.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It has, there is a Reddit thread with details for each. Stadia is in the same percentages

To be clear, this is not some kind of terrible thing for Destiny. That is just the nature of games. For a vast majority of everything coming out, the number will drop and stabilize after a month or 2.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
To be clear, this is not some kind of terrible thing for Destiny. That is just the nature of games. For a vast majority of everything coming out, the number will drop and stabilize after a month or 2.
Destiny's numbers will likely go up as Stadia becomes a more commercially available platform. Right now it's limited to the folks who bought the $130 bundle and the people who received passes from those early adopters. When people can just sign up for Pro for $10.00, or just buy Destiny, and the service becomes available on iOS and more Android devices, it becomes a lot more useful to players.

I have Destiny on every platform and streaming method and Stadia is my go-to, for both performance and convenience. It also does something I value more than anything, making it my preferred platform overall--it
strips away network manipulators and bad connections from PvP.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Maybe in the sense that you could play on a laptop in a hotel room on a trip or something like that.
Most hotels have garbage WiFi, that is either oversubscribed or throttled. I used to cart my PS4 around from time to time to play D2, but the experience was bad enough where I just got frustrated and quit.

Tethering from my phone worked well, but you eat through data pretty quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
Still enjoying my time with the service. Currently finishing off FFXV, and partway through Rise of the Tomb Raider. Shadow, next. It's still a great Destiny 2 machine, and for how I play, it works just fine.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
does the 'handover' feature in stadia (sharing a clip of a gameplay instance and letting people play that instance on the fly) works or is it still WIP?

That's literally the only Stadia differentiation that google pimped as compared to other game streaming services.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
does the 'handover' feature in stadia (sharing a clip of a gameplay instance and letting people play that instance on the fly) works or is it still WIP?

That's literally the only Stadia differentiation that google pimped as compared to other game streaming services.
That was one of many unique features, most of which have not become available to users yet. This is very much a barebones launch of the service, but what is there works impressively. I'm not sure how someone could call the service subpar when there is no other service out there meeting this one's performance.

I cannot wrap my mind around anyone believing in this.
It remains to be seen how things will change as more features and services come online, but I can tell you the people I play with using the service as-is are pretty amped about it. Most of the pessimism seems to be coming from people who have not really given it much of a chance or, in most cases, had any experience with it at all.

Last edited:

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Tit for tat, are we in 8th grade?

Try to learn to live in a world where not everyone will share your sentiments regarding the products you like.

What I find pretty crappy is someone saying "I enjoy X" and you replying back with "I what to see what you enjoy fail" , even though it doesn't affect you at all. What a cool attitude that is.

Jun 17, 2018
What I find pretty crappy is someone saying "I enjoy X" and you replying back with "I what to see what you enjoy fail" , even though it doesn't affect you at all. What a cool attitude that is.

Let's get a few things straight:

1. I never said "I want to see what you enjoy fail"
2. People express disdain for gaming related things all the time, so what? Freedom of speech/expression
3. What I did say was I was happy to see it flop. Why? Because I don't think it's a good product. That's MY opinion, why take it personal? I don't get it. My words have no bearing on whether or not the product will continue to exist.
4. It's problematic to start censoring people's opinions, my original post in this thread was not directed towards any one individual, thus no one should take what I said personal.
5. If you enjoy something, ENJOY IT, don't let other's views take anything away from that

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Let's get a few things straight:

1. I never said "I want to see what you enjoy fail"
2. People express disdain for gaming related things all the time, so what? Freedom of speech/expression
3. What I did say was I was happy to see it flop. Why? Because I don't think it's a good product. That's MY opinion, why take it personal? I don't get it. My words have no bearing on whether or not the product will continue to exist.
4. It's problematic to start censoring people's opinions, my original post in this thread was not directed towards any one individual, thus no one should take what I said personal.
5. If you enjoy something, ENJOY IT, don't let other's views take anything away from that

Wait.... Didn't you say "Never been so happy about something flopping"? And when someone asked you why would you want to see something he enjoys die, your reply was "Because my opinion won't change the outcome of it's success or demise."? That doesn't change at all that you already admitted to feeling happy because something is failing. You don't think Stadia is a good product and you don't use it, others do, that should be the end of the story, but somehow it causes you happiness for someone not to be able to use a service they like.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018
Wait.... Didn't you say "Never been so happy about something flopping"? And when someone asked you would you want to see something he enjoys die, your reply was "Because my opinion won't change the outcome of it's success or demise."? That doesn't change at all that you already admitted to feeling happy because something is failing. You don't think is a good product and you don't use it, others do, that should be the end of the story, but somehow it causes you happiness for someone not to be able to use a service they like.
You're going too far with it, my original comment should be taken at face value. All this other stuff being added on about feeling happy people won't be able use the service etc; is not what I meant at all. At this point, people are just arguing maybe out of frustration? Either way I'm done with it, good day.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
You're going too far with it, my original comment should be taken at face value. All this other stuff being added on about feeling happy people won't be able use the service etc; is not what I meant at all. At this point, people are just arguing maybe out of frustration? Either way I'm done with it, good day.

Person 1: I hate pizza so I want to see it dissappear.

Person 2: Why would you say that, I love pizza and I want to keep eating it.

Person 1: You are reading too much into it, I just want to see pizza dissappear, not for you to stop eating it.

This makes a lot of sense.