• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Yesterday, my colleague Kevin Murnane wrote a great piece about how Microsoft's floundering this console generation was ultimately a good thing for refocusing the Xbox brand, and will continue to drive innovation across the entire industry as a result.

Unlike the previous generation, in which the PS3 and Xbox 360 ended things at roughly a draw, no matter your fanboy camp it is an inescapable fact that in terms of pure sales, Microsoft was indeed trounced by Sony in the Xbox One/PS4 era. Sony is about to hit 100 million PS4s sold. Microsoft stopped announcing official Xbox One figures a few years back, but estimates put it at probably not even half of what PS4 has done over the same time period.

So, how does this all change next time around?

• Have the Power Edge at Launch
While we are ending the current console generation with the Xbox One X as having the clear power advantage over PS4 Pro, things did not start that way. The original Xbox One wasn't far behind the PS4, but even the slight power disparity at launch created the narrative that the Xbox One was the less powerful console, something that lasted for years until the Xbox One X came along. Clearly, Microsoft now sees the advantage of claiming the title of the most powerful console on the market, and if PS5 and Xbox Two debut around the same time, it will be helpful to flip that narrative on Sony this time around if they can claim an edge, however slight.

More at link

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Yesterday?

And I think we already had a thread for this a few weeks ago. A lot of people didn't seem to agree much.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
All ms needs is s decent and steady first party line up. They have the services (gamepass , backwards compat ) , they have the power (for now), they just need the games to match .

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I reads like every thread on here about the same topic. Lauds MS cloud efforts and then a focus on Spencer, arrogant Sony etc.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Launch With a Killer Fable 4

New console launches usually end up being relatively rough, unless you're Nintendo and can pull some miracle like launching Switch with Breath of the Wild, a potential Game of the Decade. We know that Forza Horizon studio Playground Games is working on a Fable game, probably Fable 4, for Microsoft, the revitalization of a once-powerful IP for Xbox. It would be fantastic if this was not only A) good but B) a killer launch title for the next Xbox.

I agree with the "killer Fable" part, but I doubt so hard that this game would come out day-one of next-gen. Year-one title seems likely or at least we'll hear it before the end of the 1st year anniversary of the next Xbox.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just regarding the first point.....the One X came one year later than the Pro and was more expensive. Assuming both next gen systems arrive at the same time I doing MS will have a clear hardware/power advantage based on the Pro/One X example.

Also expecting the next Fable to be a BotW level launch title is quite the reach - even then Sony will likely have a Horizon follow up in the pipeline which by that point will already be a established quality IP.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
The article doesn't even mention the most important thing Microsoft has to do, which is to act like a global company. They'll never win if they only look at the US.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
MS has the lowest sales but winning next gen.

Meanwhile Sony and Nintendo have record breaking numbers and are doomed next gen.

I don't get it.

Oct 30, 2017
If both consoles target the same price point, I doubt Sony will let MS have the power advantage so easily.

Microsoft will have to do something seriously impressive to poach gamers.
I'm more entrenched in Sony's ecosystem than ever. With a long list of free PS+ games, and my growing digital library, it's unlikely I'd ever switch to Xbox.

Microsoft will likely do much better next gen with regards to game development, though. That's exciting.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite needs to launch on day one and it needs to be the franchise's Breath of the Wild / God of War 2018 moment. Xbox really needs a killer app Immediately that consumers find impossible to ignore.

This will help them tremendously in the US and likely the UK. Everywhere else, I'm not so sure.

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
I agree but I feel like this piece is essentially saying that they win if the bets they've made "pan out." Which, yeah, it'll certainly be helpful if they're bets work out for them.

PlayStation or Switch would win too if all of their bets pan out. PS Now just needs to take over the world. Cross-play and full backwards compatibility should be fully embraced. VR should increase it's market and gaming portfolio while reducing price. And if course, Sony should start with a power-edge and make sure it's first party produces gold every time.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They won't. They had one great gen where they had a year head start on the ps3 but even that tailed off considerably half way through the gen. The gen before and the gen after they've been at a serious deficit and I have to imagine exactly the same will happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.