• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
TL:DR

- Power edge
- Focus on games
- Game Pass
- Acquisitions/Exclusives
- Game Streaming
- Fable 4

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...win-the-next-console-generation/#6a3b9c623a55

Unlike the previous generation, in which the PS3 and Xbox 360 ended things at roughly a draw, no matter your fanboy camp it is an inescapable fact that in terms of pure sales, Microsoft was indeed trounced by Sony in the Xbox One/PS4 era. Sony is about to hit 100 million PS4s sold. Microsoft stopped announcing official Xbox One figures a few years back, but estimates put it at probably not even half of what PS4 has done over the same time period.

While we are ending the current console generation with the Xbox One X as having the clear power advantage over PS4 Pro, things did not start that way. The original Xbox One wasn't far behind the PS4, but even the slight power disparity at launch created the narrative that the Xbox One was the less powerful console, something that lasted for years until the Xbox One X came along. Clearly, Microsoft now sees the advantage of claiming the title of the most powerful console on the market, and if PS5 and Xbox Two debut around the same time, it will be helpful to flip that narrative on Sony this time around if they can claim an edge, however slight.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
481420721726291968.png

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
this thread is going to turn wild soon but why does somebody have to win the generation i think the real winners will be the consumers next generation we will be able to get exclusives and other games in a netflix like setting for maybe 30 dollars a month when you add up all the subscriptions for a guy like me who buys maybe 3-4 games a month that's a win

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can enjoy your platform of choice without the need of placing its validation over whether it's first place in sales or not.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I think some of the western media needs to understand how weak they xbox brand is world wide outside of the usual us/uk. They have yet to win a generation ever. Brand and games will sell more over power anyday. Most ppl could careless about power.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Stop with the 'winning' please. Nobody needs to win anything. We just need a healthy industry where independent developers can thrive, blockbusters get made and everyone gets a fair part of the revenue.

What the hell do I care if more people own an Xbox or a Switch. Play the games you want, own the devices you like, subscribe to the services you like.

I'm really tired of these kind of articles.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
This is a very smart article. Now is the time to position yourself for next gen platform holder ad buys.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this is always hilarious.

Remember that thread from the old forum where people were completely writing Sony off before PS4 launched?

Dakb

Apr 20, 2018
Microsoft´s focus on backward compatabilty has practically guaranteed that I will always buy their next console. I feel this is going to be the case for many people and could play a big role at the very beginning of next generation. Still the most important factor is going to be the exclusive games, and I hope Microsoft can deliver with all their new studios.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
"power edge" isn't a thing until we get specs. we've seen that better power does not equal better sales.
Yes microsoft will need to focus on games and game pass is great but they need games to really focus on.
Acquisitions and exclusives only mean something when they've proven themselves. it's like counting your eggs before they hatch.
Microsoft has the resources to have great game streaming but right now Sony has a product right now.

I hope microsoft has a strong next gen but they've got a lot to prove when it comes to the titles and exclusives they can offer.
If each system is backwards compatible without strings it's going to be a tough sell to get people to switch ecosystems.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I mean, yeah, MS can "win" by doing everything right. They could have "won" this generation by doing everything right too.

But they didn't, and Sony did enough right at the right times. It's entirely possible we'll see a flip next time if Sony drops the ball and MS comes in strong.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think their thought process is pretty narrow minded. I think the future of gaming is actually online streaming. Meaning console hardware will be irrelevant. Or at least it will not be relevant after a short while. I think anyone who succeed in giving console quality unique experience most efficiently and with the least amount of money will win next gen. Just looking at the technology front and seeing what Sony has and what MS has, I think that MS along with the game pass have the potential to provide a great experience. I think this is where MS could get ahead. Another important fact is that both next gen consoles will have very similar hardware. I would imagine the gap between them will be smaller then the original Xbox one and PS4. The only way this will not be the case is if MS chooses $499 verses $399. In that case most people would just get the PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
They're going into the next generation with strong footing.
It'll depend on how they can manage their new acquisitions and having a good launch (right time, right price, right specs)

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Stop with the 'winning' please. Nobody needs to win anything. We just need a healthy industry where independent developers can thrive, blockbusters get made and everyone gets a fair part of the revenue.

What the hell do I care if more people own an Xbox or a Switch. Play the games you want, own the devices you like, subscribe to the services you like.

I'm really tired of these kind of articles.

Amen

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Well, between Switch being on the cusp of passing PS4 in console sales in the domestic market and Microsoft having found itself and then some, there's going to be an immense amount of pressure on Sony to do something other than "have a product named PlayStation" in the next couple of years. Maybe that's all you need to do to be successful in Europe, but I'm finding it hard to believe at this point that Microsoft's offering won't outsell Sony's in NA and most English-speaking countries.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Game Pass and xCloud are their keys to "winning" next gen. In reality, Sony MS and Nintendo are going to be very successful next gen.

Jun 22, 2018
I don't know about "winning" anything, but they are positioning themselves to deliver a great platform and ecosystem with their next round of hardware.

Very much looking forward to the future of Xbox.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These western press outlets like this will never understand. They just keep putting out these dumb stories that focus on the wrong things.

Will they do better than they did this gen? Sure no doubt. But even if they do the things this article mention they still will be a long ways off from "winning" the next gen.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Switch is already winning the next generation.

In all seriousness though, what will even constitute winning the next generation? With streaming becoming a part of both Sony and Microsoft's offering, do we include those users in the 'install base'? Or are we still only interested in the amount of plastic boxes sold? And what if Amazon and Google's streaming services gain significant traction?

And Switch.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i hope it loses. japanese games just started coming back this gen thanx to the success of sony.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
A more powerful machine, cloud based option, strong Gamepass offering along with day 1 exclusives on it and I think it will compete against Sony more evenly. I really hope this thread doesn't get nasty but no doubt it will very quickly....

It's an amazing time to be a gamer! If you can avoid the negativity etc

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
It wasn't the only problem for sure, but it was definetely a huge problem early gen that people like to use revisionist history on.

I was 100% in PC land during that period and all I remember from the launches was "xbox is always online drm" and "xbox is $500 and comes with kinnekt that nobody wants, ps4 is $400"

That was what came out to "outsiders" at least.

I can't remember anything about power until a bit later when "the power of the cloud" was the big joke of the internet.

But it might have been different for those who were already console gamers at the time.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If game pass catches on and Sony don't improve PSNow I can see MS taking the US/UK market back at least.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If they can turn Game Pass into a bigger thing, it could be massive. It's an absolutely ludicrous value.