• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...where-freddy-vs-jason-succeeded/#7e582d53666e

We are a week out from Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s Justice League, which means all we can do is wait. The embargo drops very early Wednesday morning, the All-Media is Wednesday night in LA and by Friday morning we'll have the first day's business from China and the Thursday night previews. But by pure chance, I found myself watching the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and New Line Cinema's Freddy Vs. Jason within a few days of each other.

While these activities were not connected (I just finished Dustin McNeill's Slash of the Titans, which recounts the decade-long development process and countless discarded screenplays for the horror movie event), it was an enlightening bit of cinematic rewatch. Sure, Ronny Yu's 2003 smash is still a lousy movie, and Zack Snyder's superhero smackdown is still a noble failure that just barely works in its longer variation. But watching them both back-to-back only highlights that, to the extent that they fail, they fail for the exact opposite reasons.

Reading through the bazillion attempts at crafting a Freddy Vs. Jason movie, the thing that sticks out is just how overplotted the initial tries were and how painfully underplotted the final product turned out to be. Sure, the film still feels choppy as hell (it is a two-hour story whittled down to a 95-minute movie), and the dialogue is painfully expository. Ironically, Robert Englund is downright terrible as Fred Krueger, although that's partially because most of his dialogue is the "explain the plot and my emotions to the audience" variety that turns much of the film into a bad kids cartoon ("We've gotta open that cabinet and get that file!").

Conversely, and again I should note that I (probably) like Dawn of Justice more than you, Batman v Superman gives us the exact opposite experience. Director Zack Snyder and writers David Goyer and Chris Terrio give us a multilayered plot with a strong topical bent (it accidentally became a metaphor for the 2016 election, with "Bernie Sanders" realizing that "Hillary Clinton" wasn't the devil, but too late to stop "Donald Trump"), quirky supporting characters (Jessie Eisenberg, Holly Hunter, Jeremy Irons, etc.) and some crackling dialogue (I still love Luthor's monologues). But they offer deconstructive versions of the lead characters and a plot that makes the title match almost beside the point.

Ben Affleck's Batman is essentially hanging over the edge of the abyss while Henry Cavill's Superman is torn apart by self-doubt and the full weight of how his actions affect the world around him. If this were the tenth movie in this DC Films universe, that would be fine. But as something of a backdoor pilot/introduction to an entire cinematic universe, audiences and fans weren't crazy about seeing a wholly deconstructed version of their favorite superheroes in a deeply cynical real-world environment.

At least in terms of pleasing the masses, you can give us a darker/cynical world like Captain America: The Winter Soldier or you can give us a zany/daffy universe like Batman: The Brave and the Bold. But if you don't keep the characters themselves somewhat classical, then A) you risk alienating the audience and B) you lose the core thrust of the proverbial fish-out-of-water element. Seeing a grimdark Batman and a grimdark Superman in a grimdark universe worked about as well as sending Austin Powers back to the 1960's and 1970's.

Come what may, Freddy Vs. Jason gave audiences what they wanted and absolutely nothing more. While, arguably, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice gave audience essentially everything they thought they needed while depriving them of what they wanted. Freddy vs. Jason screwed up the plot and supporting characters while it nailed the title characters. Batman v Superman did almost everything right except nail down the title characters and give them a justifiable reason to beat the crap out of each other.

Would a simpler, more crowd-pleasing (and more kid-friendly) Batman v Superman, one which featured classic heroes doing battle, been better received? We may find out in a week. All reports seem to indicate that Justice League will feature somewhat classic interpretations of the iconic DC Comics heroes. And, speculation alert, it would seem that the 119-minute running will leave little room for more than a simple "aliens invade, Batman and Wonder Woman assemble the team, the Super Friends save the Earth" narrative.

Since the DC Films franchise is essentially starting over after Justice League (less interconnective tissue, more stand-alone movies, more aspirational superheroes), this film is going to act less like a season finale and more like a season premiere. The good news is that the ($112 million worldwide on a $30m budget) success of Freddy Vs. Jason (and arguably Wonder Woman) proves that fans will be at least somewhat forgiving as long as they get classic versions of classic characters doing their thing with style.

So if you want some idea of how Justice League will play compared to Batman v Superman, you might want to watch Freddy vs. Jason. Or you could watch the three-part "Secret Origins" pilot for the 2001 Justice League animated series and the 2014 animated movie Justice League War, but that's an essay for another day. One week to go, folks...

Scott Mendelson is not someone I usually agree with but the initial premise of the piece was so bizarre that I couldn't not share it.

Edit: Right when I post the thread they change the title of the article.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
seems like it could be an interesti-

it accidentally became a metaphor for the 2016 election, with "Bernie Sanders" realizing that "Hillary Clinton" wasn't the devil, but too late to stop "Donald Trump"

Nah, I'm good.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, Ronny Yu's 2003 smash is still a lousy movie
This is objectively wrong. Freddy vs Jason was a great movie that takes the impossible task of having two baddies in the same movie and makes it work. With the exception of giving, I'd say 55-60% of the movie to Freddy to Jason's 40%, it did a very nice job walking the tightrope of paying respect to both iconic characters. Each character "wins" at certain points.

Robert Englund was great in it too. Best Freddy version in forever.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I basically think it boils down to Freddy vs. Jason being nothing more than an entertaining fan service movie whereas Batman vs. Superman tried to be way too much and do way too much. also Freddy vs. Jason understood the characters and source material whereas Batman vs. Superman whiffed.

basically this

Come what may, Freddy Vs. Jason gave audiences what they wanted and absolutely nothing more.

Oct 25, 2017
It's an objectively bad film, but it's entertaining if only in a "dumb fun" sort of way. That's more than I can say of BvS.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Freddy and Jason are both unkillable movie monsters with no regard for anyone else's well-being, going full-bore trying to kill each other.

Batman and Superman will never be able to fight anyone this way, let alone one another.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
That was a terrible little article.

The idea that "Freddy vs. Jason screwed up the plot" and is only enjoyable for the fanservice-y throwdown is completely ridiculous, one of the strengths of FvJ is that the filmmakers actually put some thought into how they could get these two characters not only together in a film but also have them fight at the end. Conversely, Batman v. Superman absolutely misses the mark in this regard as the titular characters come into conflict because the film makes both of them stupid.

edit: And "Batman v Superman did almost everything right except nail down the title characters and give them a justifiable reason to beat the crap out of each other." is so monumentally wrong I don't even know where to begin.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was Neil Gaiman who said regardless of what form we consume the material, "a century from now, there are still gonna be a ton of people that wanna know what Batman and Superman are doing this month."

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ok. First of all, anyone can write an article on Forbes.com.

Second of all, Freddy Vs. Jason was awful. It was the worst movie in both the Friday the 13th and the Nightmare on Elm Street series.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Honestly I still think the thing that brought them together, Freddy manipulating Jason to cause fear to give Freddy strength, was pretty well done. Freddy Vs Jason is a fun movie. Goofy, but fun, it knows what it is and runs with it.

Batman V Superman, on the other hand, is not fun, and believes itself to have far more depth than it comes even close to delivering.

It's also god awful trash that misunderstands and poorly portrays it's main characters. Something that FvsJ, in comparison, succeeds in.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like writers are coming up with a headline first and working backwards. Like before the year is up I'm gonna get a notification for an article starting with "how Thor Ragnarok proves Martin Scorsese doesn't get it."

FvJ should package the DVD with whiskey tho. Makes those one liners go down smooooth.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

Second of all, Freddy Vs. Jason was awful. It was the worst movie in both the Friday the 13th and the Nightmare on Elm Street series.

As a big fan of both franchises.... lol no.

Freddy vs Jason was well shot, had a few really good ideas and delivered on their confrontation. It DIDN'T give me everything I hoped for, because I hoped the movie wouldn't be monopolized by a bunch of shithead teenagers, but it's at least in the top half of Jason films and on-par with most of the Nightmare films.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Also the first person that Jason kills gets bent in half by a folding bed, which is rad, so checkmate.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is objectively wrong. Freddy vs Jason was a great movie that takes the impossible task of having two baddies in the same movie and makes it work. With the exception of giving, I'd say 55-60% of the movie to Freddy to Jason's 40%, it did a very nice job walking the tightrope of paying respect to both iconic characters. Each character "wins" at certain points.

Robert Englund was great in it too. Best Freddy version in forever.

To be fair Jason gets like 90% of the kills!!!

God that movie is fun as fuck.

Oct 27, 2017
Because Freddy vs Jason is a movie you expect to be shit so you go in wanting shit. It's a slasher flick, you just want dumb fun regardless of the movies actual quality.

BvS you go in expecting a great movie. Came out with shit.

Saintz

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that "Freddy vs. Jason screwed up the plot" and is only enjoyable for the fanservice-y throwdown is completely ridiculous, one of the strengths of FvJ is that the filmmakers actually put some thought into how they could get these two characters not only together in a film but also have them fight at the end.
Exactly! I'm impressed how they were able to pull it off tbh because it kinda worked in the context of both franchises and it was extremely entertaining.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Good old Scott Mendelson. Love his work, wish I could get him to read my take on BvS.

In any case, he's probably spot-on that upcoming Justice League is an alien invasion movie first, and team-up stuff is going to be slight. That's how I remember the three -parter for animated Justice League coming in, anyway.

Still, I was more interested in what Scott was writing when he was raging against the Box Office hype machine, making the point that Man of Steel was very successful:

This is of course what happens in politics as well, such as when rival parties predict a 10-point bump after a convention so they can scream "FAILURE!" when the bump is only 7 points. Tracking was once mostly internal data, used to plan marketing efforts before a film's release. Now it's public knowledge, used either to create the preconceived perception of failure ("Oh no, The Internship is tracking soft; it's a flop!") or to be used as a low-water mark for which to measure success, even as the rival studios use it as a starting point to raise expectations ("Man of Steel is tracking at $75 million... could it go as high as $100 million?!") [...] Point being, like all would-be news, take a moment to actually process who is giving you what pre-release box office figures as well as the respective spin on the actual [...] figures.

Good advice for the next couple of weeks...

Oct 27, 2017

It is better than:
Dream Child
Freddy's dead
Jason Takes Manhattan
The one that has the fat kid's father as a Jason stand in murdering for revenge
Potato sack Jason movie

And I'm sure there are more

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I don't know why anyone would put the name FORBES in front of the threads discussing articles from their contributors, it is not as if they are part of the FORBES themselves, right? In essence it's no different to for example, someone posting a blog or even a thread in ResetEra.

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly! I'm impressed how they were able to pull it off tbh because it kinda worked in the context of both franchises and it was extremely entertaining.
Agreed. It could have easily been cringe worthy, but the way they set the movie up so that they're in the same world was genius with the whole fear thing and Jason dreams.
It could have been easily cringe worthy how the kids don't remember anything about Freddy, but the way they explain that away was genius.
It could have been easily cringe worthy just having Freddy kill Jason in a dream, but they worked out home court advantage for both.
It could have been easitly cringe worthy if Ronnie Yu didn't go all out and all in on the concept. Anything less would have made it a laughable farce and a disservice to both characters.

Bride of Chucky was Yu's test run for balls out horror schlock cinema. He perfected it in FvJ imo.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I used to follow Freddy vs Jason online before it went into production. Some of those scripts were batshit insane.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Freddy vs Jason is one of the best heel vs heel matches ever booked.

One of the best theater experiences I've ever had. If you had the right crowd on opening night, it basically was a pro wrestling match.

Snake

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Give me an article showing how 'Freddy Vs. Jason' succeeded where 'Kramer Vs. Kramer' failed and you'll have my attention.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a big fan of both franchises.... lol no.

Freddy vs Jason was well shot, had a few really good ideas and delivered on their confrontation. It DIDN'T give me everything I hoped for, because I hoped the movie wouldn't be monopolized by a bunch of shithead teenagers, but it's at least in the top half of Jason films and on-par with most of the Nightmare films.
No way it's in the top half when the first 6 movies exist. And I say that as someone who digs FVJ a lot

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
The original rules you mad man.

Part v feels more like a Friday the 13th movie than anything that followed it but I get why people hate it. :p

The original just doesn't hold up at all. Like, I don't understand how someone could watch it in 2017 without abusing the fast forward button. The pacing is so dreadfully bad. There are some great Tom Savini effects and the movie picks up in big way once Pamela shows up and starts chewing the hell out of the scenery, but too much of it is unwatchable. Like 25 good minutes of a 100 minute film.

Part V feels more like classic F13 than the Zombie Jason chapters that came later, sure, but at a time where that stuff was at it's most derivative and tired. I LOVE Part VI and VII for shaking things up. They are the only way F13 could have continued. The weird PTSD Tommy Jarvis and lame twist are only turd nuggets on the poop cake of A New Beginning.

I would rank FvJ with the remake and part 2 and somewhere behind 4, 3, 6 and 7. Ahead of everything else.

Scubamonk

Oct 30, 2017
One of the only times I've ever seen anyone else bring up that Freddy only gets one kill in the movie. As a bigger NoES fan that never sat right with me. Fight at the end is awesome though.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
What it really comes down to is expectations. Expectations for BvS were supremely high. When people heard it was shit, no one wanted to see it. While FvJ had lower expectations, and thus if someone heard it was shit, might shrug it off and still go see it.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Jason Takes Manhattan was kitchy and fun.

The Dream Child has some of the absolutely scariest scenes in the series.

Jason Takes Manhattan was poorly made, boring and utterly failed to deliver on it's concept. Freddy vs Jason is fun, JTM is dour and cheap, with just one semi-cool moment that Killer Klowns from Outer Space did better.

Dream Child was firmly in the Goofy Freddy phase of the series, I just can't fathom anything in that movie being considered as "scary". The motorbike death of Dan was pretty cool, but not exactly scary. The death of Greta was pretty nasty I suppose.

Freddy vs Jason utterly delivered on what people were paying to see....Freddy vs Jason. BvS failed massively in multiple areas, including fucking up the character of Superman and utterly wasting his death. AvP also flubbed the main attraction...such a tepid fight.

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comparison would be better with Aliens Vs Predator, Freddy Vs Jason is waaaaay out of Batman vs Supermans league... IMO

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FvJ was worth the price of admission for this line alone:

"That goalie was pissed about something."

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Freddy vs Jason had no right being as good as it was.
Easily more watchable than Elm St 2, Freddy's Dead and most Friday movies.

I just wanted to say that. I have no horse in this race, I haven't seen BvS.

Deleted member 3837

Uh,

Freddy vs. Jason didn't give fans what they want. It invented weaknesses for two villains that didn't exist in prior movies. Freddy wasn't "afraid of fire". Jason is in the water at least once in every movie he's been in.

Also that movie was a CGI fuckfest where Freddy barely got to do anything cool. God the fact people hold this movie in higher regard than the F13th remake... Now that was a theater experience.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Interesting take, not completely wrong, but while the concept of a VS. match is similar it's really the only thing.

I guess getting the characters right has some value but once you adjust for scale FvJ was a love letter to franchises which are mostly filled with shit sandwiches but really cool monsters, BvS on the other hand was supposed to be a tent pole franchise launcher and the lynch pin of a shared universe so WB could have got away with it wrapped in a better movie since they needed it to be successful with a lot of people and more people have no preconceived notions of of the characters, comic people are not the driving force for the film, while with FvJ longtime fans were the most desired audience.

Oct 26, 2017
As a Friday movie, I'd say FvJ ranks fairly well against other movies in the series.

Personally, I rank them:

VI
IV
II
I
FvJ
V
VII
III
X
IX
VIII

As a Freddy movie, I'd rank it above everything but the first and third movies.

But to compare it to BvS simply because each is a "versus" movie seems silly.

FvJ was a trashy horror film that was mostly insignificant for New Line. It made its budget back and all that, but wasn't aiming to be more than a fun little movie about horror icons fighting.

BvS was trying to kickstart an entire universe of interconnected films. It was a mega-budget tentpole. But it was such a bloated mess that it was hard to not be disappointed.

FvJ wasn't bearing the weight of massive expectations on its shoulders, so even if it sucked ass, no big deal.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Freddy vs Jason is a self-aware, fun movie that was made by people clearly having fun.

BvS is the exact opposite.

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh,

Freddy vs. Jason didn't give fans what they want. It invented weaknesses for two villains that didn't exist in prior movies. Freddy wasn't "afraid of fire". Jason is in the water at least once in every movie he's been in.
Fire and water. Opposites clashing. It was cool.

As a Friday movie, I'd say FvJ ranks fairly well against other movies in the series.

Personally, I rank them:

VI
IV
II
I
FvJ
V
VII
III
X
IX

As a Freddy movie, I'd rank it above everything but the first and third movies.

I would stick Jason X as my #4, but your list is pretty much my list, for both series.