• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

With $304.2 million in North America after five weeks in theaters, Joker's new global cume is around $953 million. Presuming its 32% domestic/68% overseas split holds, then it will have a new global cume of around $957 million by tonight. That will be 15.3x its $62.5 million production budget, which will make the Todd Phillips-directed and Joaquin Phoenix-starring drama more profitable, in terms of budget versus global gross, than Jim Carrey's The Mask ($351 million on a $23 million budget in 1994).
That means DC Films and Warner Bros.' Joker is the most profitable comic book movie of all time. In a skewed way, Joker represents every studio's dream, in that it's a mid-budget, 2-D title that's pulling top-tier blockbuster business without relying on China. That it happens to be an R-rated psychological drama is a bonus of sorts, as it's the third-cheapest $900 million grosser of all time after Bohemian Rhapsody ($905 million on a $52 million budget) and The Lion King ($968 million on a $55 million budget in 1994). When it tops $1 billion worldwide in the next week or so, it'll be the cheapest movie to do so, with a budget just under the $63 million spent by Jurassic Park back in 1993.
Dance in my bathroom if old.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know its not the most profitable comic book movie...right?

Scott Mendleson is not a useful source of boxoffice info. He is a living clickbait farm. Makes stuff up for clicks (like this).

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy for WB, real excited for Batman once again.

Nothing will top Nolan, but it feels like they're going to go back in that direction, thank god.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll keep saying it if they want to pull it off again they need to make an Harley Quinn movie and have her be an intern psychiatrist at Arkham.

Nov 16, 2017
All of the critical hot takes on here about the Joker movie from people that haven't even watched the movie are hilarious in hindsight.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I hope this serves as a jumping point for studios to take risks on lower budget movies from now on.

The film industry is gonna to have, and currently kinda does have, a huge issue with oversaturation, but the amount of quality, thoughtful films that will come out of a resurgence in lower budgeted affairs will be great to behold.

Like, Joker got a lot of prestige being based on one of the most popular characters in media, but in action it's practically an art house film about mental Illness. It's not perfect, but I hope it can serve as the "missing link" between profitable made-for-mass-appeal movies and profitable risk taking art films.

Nothing wrong with many mass appeal films, I just want more experimental stuff in the limelight.

Oct 28, 2017
California
giphy.gif

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I'm assuming this is in reference to the film's return on investment?

Well deserved either way. Loved the film!

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was okay, jaquin did a great job but the movie was underwhelming and I really don't get the praise

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
labm9Gq.gif

Well deserved. Despite so many outlets coming off as hoping for something negative action to come from this movie, nothing happened. People went and saw a comic book movie and that was that.

Oct 25, 2017
It was okay, jaquin did a great job but the movie was underwhelming and I really don't get the praise
Movie is so incredibly vague with its messaging and purpose that people are projecting what ever they want onto it.

The only time the movie has any consistent thesis is when Fleck makes an offensive joke and an actual pearl clutching woman say thats offensive which he responds COMEDY IS SUBJECTIVE.

We get it Todd, feminist leftist sjws murdered comedy and guillotined all comedians.

You can like and love the movie but you can't deny the director is a complete jackass.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
He's clearly using a multiplier system, which checks out.
If you don't like that system that's fine but his math is correct.

No one denies the math.... what it isn't is actually how you determine most profitable. If I made a movie for 5 bucks and made a profit of 50k.... I'd look like an asshole to claim I made the most profitable movie of all time.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Profit:
"a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something"
Exactly. That is the point. That is *NOT* what Mendleson's math is calculating.

Using "Amount Earned - Amount Spent" does not result in Joker being the most profitable.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Profit Margin

Profit margin is calculated as:
Profit / Revenue

Expenses include your item's purchase costs and any fees (including FBA fees) assessed by the marketplace the item is sold on.

If you bought an item for $20, sold it for $100, and Amazon took a cut of 15% ($15), you would have a profit of $65 and a profit margin of 65%:

Profit is your Revenue ($100) - Cost ($20) - Fees ($15)

Profit Margin:
Profit
($65) / Revenue ($100) = 65%

ROI

ROI is calculated as:
Profit / Cost

Using the same example above of a $20 item sold for $100 with a 15% category fee, you would have profit of $65 and a Return on Investment of 325%

Profit is your Revenue ($100) - Cost ($20) - Fees ($15)

ROI:
Profit
($65) / Cost ($20) = 325%

Comparing the two

One of the major differences between profit margin and ROI is that profit margin can never exceed 100%, while ROI can. There are pluses and minuses to each way of calculating profit, but one is not inherently better than the other.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Endgame was more profitable, Mendleson's math doesn't really add up at all.

Yeah profit = $ so Endgame wins with $2b in profit. He's using profitable as best budget to gross ratio and that's not correct. It's like saying The Blair Witch Project is the most profitable movie of all time. That's not accurate, but it does have the best budget to gross ratio of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.