• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
It's 2020, which means you can clearly see what's ahead. This is the year to live the dream: Quit your day job and move to a foreign country where it costs so little you might never have to work another day in your life.

For 2020, I again tapped into International Living, which releases an Annual Global Retirement Index of the top places to retire. But don't think this list is limited to retirees: It's also for people who want to move to a place where the cost of living is much cheaper than in the U.S.—so cheap, in fact, that you might not have to work.

The list:
  1. Portugal
  2. Panama
  3. Costa Rica
  4. Mexico
  5. Colombia
  6. Ecuador
  7. Malaysia
  8. Spain
  9. France
  10. Vietnam
Would you do it, Era?

Edit: Forbes' source:

Last edited:

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
I'm hoping in 15-20yrs I would like to move to Portugal. Or if once I get my inheritance money and pay off whatever mortgage I have and use the renters income for living

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this list is bullshit.
its another article about people who already have money telling people to do this and that that has no basis in reality.

Oct 25, 2017
PANAMA?!

PANAMA?!

Maybe outside of Panama City, but Panama City is like almost as expensive as most major US cities.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been vacationing in Portugal and its a joke how cheap everything is. I spend €50 for 2 person dinners with wine and dessert. I spent €200 TOTAL for a 2 person dinner at a 2 michelin star restaurant.

As a Costa Rican, though, that list is kind of a joke. You can't reasonably live as portrayed in the article.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm French but working in the U.S. I work an entry-level job with shit pay in L.A. and still make more money than my older siblings--a scientist, a veterinarian and a fashion designer--who live very comfortable lives. Why? Because I spend literally all my income on rent. I love L.A. but I wouldn't struggle so damn much if I lived in France.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia, what? It is cheaper to live compared to your first world country but it's not cheaper compared to the likes of Thailand and Vietnam for sure. Plus salary is not that high if you plan to work there.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I have been vacationing in Portugal and its a joke how cheap everything is. I spend €50 for 2 person dinners with wine and dessert. I spent €200 TOTAL for a 2 person dinner at a 2 michelin star restaurant.

As a Costa Rican, though, that list is kind of a joke. You can't reasonably live as portrayed in the article.

I mean that's cheap, but not like, retire at 30 cheap. Lolwut

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised not to see Turkey in this list. Getting a work permit in Turkey is the easiest in the world and a basic English is more than enough to have a decent salary. As long as you stay away from Istanbul, no way you can afford a downtown apartment with a salary. You need a second one and apartment sharing is banned in Turkey.

Not all of France is Paris. Outside of it it's easier to find cheaper apartments and well paying jobs. Bordeaux, Montpellier, Clermont-Ferrand (Michelin is always hiring but no one wants to live in Clermont-Ferrand. It's not that bad). People are so obsessed about Paris.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I mean Mexico is pretty cheap compared to the rest of North America but I don't think most people could actually expect to not have to work again if they moved here to a city under acceptable living conditions. Unless you're already rich and/or receive income from other sources. but then you probably don't have to work in the first place, so... bad article is bad.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Malaysia, what? It is cheaper to live compared to your first world country but it's not cheaper compared to the likes of Thailand and Vietnam for sure. Plus salary is not that high if you plan to work there.

Maybe live in Malaysia (Johor), work in Singapore.
I'm not sure if that works well though.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
lol at Colombia. (I'm from Colombia)

not gonna lie, Colombia is affordable af and I have seriously considered planning retirement there. I love the idea of spending only $100/mo for a EPS health insurance that covers almost anything and everything and buying a 2 bedroom condo in Santa Marta or Cartagena for $90,000 USD

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
They claim you can live on ~$2250 per month in the Charentes or the Auvergne for France.

Don't really see how you can give up working for that, or what country lets you migrate with no job.

Interesting. So I only need about $800k to spend the rest of my days in France. Fuck USA!

*Checks bank account*

Oh yeah nevermind

Edit: come to that this is less than I used to spend month to month in USA lol

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
If you can really live in a metro area in Portugal for ~2,000 a month all in, then I am moving.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be getting paid shit if I left the USA, Vietnam is nice though......

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Low key would love to move to Mexico City and think about it all the time. Would probably still need a job tho haha

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to Portugal in Sept. If it's that cheap and dope I'll have to consider early retirement.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
*If you are young and healthy
I'm still kind of confused by your health insurance point. If one is actively working, with benefits, you can absolutely live here on that amount of money with a home and health insurance. I'm not saying it's luxurious, but I don't quite get what you're getting at. My take home, after taxes and insurance etc, for a family of 3, was $2600 a month, and we lived fairly comfortably. So in the context of the thread where you wouldn't have an employer and thus no insurance you're correct... I was just commenting on the idea that $2250 a month in France isn't particularly cheaper to live than a lot of places here in USA, for example where I live. Like if I had close to a million dollars I wouldn't need to move to any of these places any more than I could just stay here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still kind of confused by your health insurance point. If one is actively working, with benefits, you can absolutely live here on that amount of money with a home and health insurance. I'm not saying it's luxurious, but I don't quite get what you're getting at. My take home, after taxes and insurance etc, for a family of 3, was $2600 a month, and we lived fairly comfortably. So in the context of the thread where you wouldn't have an employer and thus no insurance you're correct... I was just commenting on the idea that $2250 a month in France isn't particularly cheaper to live than a lot of places here in USA, for example where I live. Like if I had close to a million dollars I wouldn't need to move to any of these places any more than I could just stay here.

The article is about quitting your job. My point is that this is impossible to do in the USA because any major health issue would quickly bankrupt you without employer provided health care in the USA so quitting your job and living cheaply isn't really an option.

Oct 27, 2017
On a scale of 1-10 how fearful are these countries of black people? What happened to all of the brothers in Portugal after slavery?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I know universal health care is the big differentiator but I had to just lol at this part

And France is more affordable than you may think. Although my electricity, cable TV, and water bills are similar to what I paid in the U.S., my other expenses have dropped significantly since moving to France. Outside of major cities like Paris and Lyon, rent is about a third of what I paid in California.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Portuguese here if you don't live in the main cities, everything will be super cheap to most 1st world countries.
For example you can live here with quite a bit of luxuries with 1000 euro per month. If you are frugal you can live here for 300-500 euro per month