• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
They live in peace.

How do you pay expenses and food with 300€?
It is half of the minimum wage
My thought process for the 300€ was:
  • rent=150€
  • internet,gas,water, electricity=50€
  • food (all home cocked) 1.5€/meal, 3 meals/day -> 135€
Total would be 335€. I am assuming 1 person and that you rent a small house/apartment. This is also the perspective of a portuguese so i don't know if there are additional taxes to non-portuguese people.
Like i said in my previous post you would have to be extremely frugal by not having a car, eating out, etc.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still young, but the thought of retiring early (around 55) and moving back to Slovakia has definitely crossed my mind.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
  • rent=150€
Total would be 335€. I am assuming 1 person and that you rent a small house/apartment. This is also the perspective of a portuguese so i don't know if there are additional taxes to non-portuguese people.
Like i said in my previous post you would have to be extremely frugal by not having a car, eating out, etc.

This would near 1000€ at the very cheapest in Spain, and with a lot of luck.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those articles that assumes everyone just has a couple hundred thousand just sitting there not being used. You know like every American does!

tuta

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Living in Paris, I would never consider France as one of the best place to retire. Any city. The cost of living is so high and the country is not calm enough to enjoy retiring there. Even with some decent savings, I can't imagine lasting long without working and having to pay rent.

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
This list only makes sense if you have a good source of passive income or loved so frugal that you actually have a large savings account (which is untrue for most Americans at least).

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't want to live abroad, you can just come to the south. Living in Mississippi is super affordable. Happiness isn't guaranteed.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
  • rent=150€

Where did you get a 150€ rent?

darhf

Oct 28, 2017
Toulouse, France
To be fair, living in the french remote countryside with 2000$/month is doable, but don't expect having a doctor, hospital, school for the kid or even a supermarket nearby. These places are cheap for a reason.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
If you don't want to live abroad, you can just come to the south. Living in Mississippi is super affordable. Happiness isn't guaranteed.
I was just about to make a post about how plenty of smaller towns in the south and Midwest offer low costs of living. It's not as romantic as the idea of moving to France, but you can buy a house for well under 100k in a lot of places.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
From that article:
And since the French are careful about what they eat, you can be sure that you're getting the best quality, freshest produce of the season.
The author has never heard of Metro.

One of the best things about living in France is the excellent healthcare system. I can see any doctor in any city that I like, and changing doctors involves simply calling a new practitioner and setting up an appointment.
Yeah no. The healthcare system itself is pretty great but outside of big cities, finding a doctor can be grueling. At this point, some of them have so many patients that they'll put you on a black list if you don't show up for an appointment without cancelling first.

In France there's such a great amount of care taken with how well things are managed, maintained, and appreciated…
No.

I mean, I've lived here my whole life and it's a pretty great country, but it's far from the hyper-sophisticated and affordable utopia described in the article. Unless you have a decent enough income.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are they listing $2000 a month as it's some sort of huge deal? You can live for around that in Houston with a decent $800 apartment in an okay area. Even afford cable and internet.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Do people not have friends outside of their immediate family or something? That alone would prevent me from uprooting myself even if I spoke the language and had enough money.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Rofl at including Costa Rica, Portugal or France. Those are not cheap at all. Portugal might not be expensive all things considered, but certainly not cheap. None of the western EU is. This list should be focused on Asian countries like Indonesia with isles like Bali where you can actually have an amazing dinner for two for just 20€

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
What if I already live in one of these countries and I am currently struggling to pay the bills?

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I am not gonna waltz into a foreign country without knowing the language, culture, etc.

It's bullshit when people do it in Nigeria, and I'm not gonna play into that.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
sorry for the super late reply. letf the answer in draft.
I had a 150€ rent in ponta delgada azores ( 1 room + WC) 5 years ago and ervedal, avis dictrict (1 very small bedroom, 1 living room+ kitchen) 3 years ago.

Super small houses but imo good enough for a single person.

Geez, Ponta Delgada is that cheap? Brb moving to the islands

Mar 29, 2018
Loads of places are cheaper than any on these lists to live - they just tend to be more dangerous. Despots, less good security/infrastructure, etc.

I have been vacationing in Portugal and its a joke how cheap everything is. I spend €50 for 2 person dinners with wine and dessert. I spent €200 TOTAL for a 2 person dinner at a 2 michelin star restaurant.

As a Costa Rican, though, that list is kind of a joke. You can't reasonably live as portrayed in the article.

For example I went to Egypt in recent years and what you described for a 2 course meal is a joke in comparison.

In Egypt a 2 person meal, eating like kings with plenty left over, can be 20 Euro max (and delicious) if you make yourself or go to the right places.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
I'm French but working in the U.S. I work an entry-level job with shit pay in L.A. and still make more money than my older siblings--a scientist, a veterinarian and a fashion designer--who live very comfortable lives. Why? Because I spend literally all my income on rent. I love L.A. but I wouldn't struggle so damn much if I lived in France.
You live in LA though, and I doubt your siblings live in Paris. Switch it around and have them live in Paris and you live in Idaho and you'd be living like a king and them struggling.

The US is a biiiig place. And a lot of it is cheaper to live in then major European countries.